• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia

.matt

School Boy/Girl Captain
And, IMO, a large chunk of this side will lift us up a spot or so in the next couple of years.
Yeah for sure. Your in a developing stage. Guptill (Not sure on his age) How, Taylor, Ryder, Southee etc. Theres more but I'm forgetting names atm :p

.matt

School Boy/Girl Captain
Well we did beat England at home and away with this side. Ah well.
Yeah, I had a feeling when I said that something like this would come up. I wasn't sure on your recent results so I was going by what the teams look like on paper.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah for sure. Your in a developing stage. Guptill (Not sure on his age) How, Taylor, Ryder, Southee etc. Theres more but I'm forgetting names atm :p
McCullum is currently about the age of Gilchrist when he debuted in Tests. We have roughly 3 other Blackcaps more senior, Vettori who is only just 30, Oram who is low 30's and Martin who doesn't play one day cricket.

Everyone in our bloody team is developing. :wacko:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah, I had a feeling when I said that something like this would come up. I wasn't sure on your recent results so I was going by what the teams look like on paper.
:laugh:

Yeah course you wouldn't rate a team you've never seen mate.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Our team probably does look **** on paper tbf. It always does, though.

When we first brought Shane Bond in to the team I had never seen him bowl...looked at his stats and thought he was going to fail at international level.

.matt

School Boy/Girl Captain
:laugh:

Yeah course you wouldn't rate a team you've never seen mate.
Did I say I've never seen them? I only saw a fair bit against the Windies but I have no memory of their wins over England. Wasn't their home win over England ages ago?

Athlai

Not Terrible
Did I say I've never seen them? I only saw a fair bit against the Windies but I have no memory of their wins over England. Wasn't their home win over England ages ago?
:wacko: Last year is now ages ago? They toured here and then we toured there. Afterwards we buggered off to Bangladesh and then to Australia. Then we hosted the West Indies.

6 ODI's ago would be England.

In other news Ryder and McCullum injured themselves, McCullum should be right but BFJ is going to miss the warm up.

.matt

School Boy/Girl Captain
:wacko: Last year is now ages ago? They toured here and then we toured there. Afterwards we buggered off to Bangladesh and then to Australia. Then we hosted the West Indies. .
It's called a question 8-). And a year or 2 is a fair while ago in cricket. I mean in 06/07 we were hammering the poms, 07/08 beating India an 08/09 getting crushed by South Africa. I'm talking about tests though.

Athlai

Not Terrible
It's called a question 8-). And a year or 2 is a fair while ago in cricket. I mean in 06/07 we were hammering the poms, 07/08 beating India an 08/09 getting crushed by South Africa. I'm talking about tests though.
I dunno its just most people on CW can recall most countries recent series for the past few years without too much trouble. And TBF Sri Lanka tested Australia at home after the Pom's and were completely without luck and then Sanga's made that immense stand. Then India came to town and were outclassed overall by Australia though challenged them throughout. And then New Zealand even won the odd day of the Test match (and I admit we are a poor Test team), the South African victory was by no means a grand surprise.

My biggest surprise from the series was how well the South African tail batted, really didn't think they had it in them.

.matt

School Boy/Girl Captain
I dunno its just most people on CW can recall most countries recent series for the past few years without too much trouble. And TBF Sri Lanka tested Australia at home after the Pom's and were completely without luck and then Sanga's made that immense stand. Then India came to town and were outclassed overall by Australia though challenged them throughout. And then New Zealand even won the odd day of the Test match (and I admit we are a poor Test team), the South African victory was by no means a grand surprise.
Sri Lanka didn't test us much at all. We won the first test by an innings and 42 runs then gave them 506 runs to win in the second, which they did good to get within 90 runs thanks to Sangakarras mammoth innings but we werent really tested.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Sri Lanka didn't test us much at all. We won the first test by an innings and 42 runs then gave them 506 runs to win in the second, which they did good to get within 90 runs thanks to Sangakarras mammoth innings but we werent really tested.
I remember Malinga making the Australian batsman look all at sea throughout the series, beating the bat consistently and bowling the best I've ever seen a bowler do without any reward. Maharoof too was remarkably luckless.

And I'm sure we can all remember how Sangakkara was given out wrongly (didn't hit the ball). It was a much closer series than what the 2-0 scoreline represented (though Australia were the better team).

.matt

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yeah, Sangakarra was very unlucky, but I'm not sure how close they would have got to that 510. I'm not saying Sri Lanak were horrible, just that they only really gave us a challenge in the second test.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Looks like there'll be no BFJ, he's been sidelined by an ongoing shoulder injury. :(

Looks like Matty Sinclair might get another chance to fail after all.