• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
I didn't mention Southee. He's only had 4 tests to RP's 13, incidentally. And if Praveen was a NZer he'd walk into their team IMHO.

I'd say Southee>RP Singh from what i've seen. Both need the ball to swing but RP has more of a tendency to lose control when it does, not that there's a great deal in it. The reason Southee doesn't get the same abuse is because he's only 20, has only played 4 tests and isn't unjustly taking the place of any other, obviously superior bowlers.

RP Singh doesn't "deserve a fair go" and he's done nothing in any form of cricket to show he does. His FC and List A records are mediocre, his test and ODI records very poor and even to watch him there's nothing there that suggests he's a test-standard bowler. I'm not sure where the selectors even got that idea from tbh. Praveen, by comparison, has a better ODI record and stunning List A/FC records. Not only that, but from what I've seen he looks a much, much more effective bowler. Even if he does bowl about 3mph slower. He's younger, too. If it weren't for disciplinary issues, proponents of picking RP Singh ahead of him wouldn't have a leg to stand on.
r.p singh is lightyears better than southee ,are you forgetting r.p singh debuted on the
mother of flat tracks in pakistan and got a fife wicket hall.won the series in england
did well in australia.he has 2 bad tests in india and he is not good give me a break.
a guy who can swing the ball at 140km/hr is always better tha guy who can swing it
more at 130km/hr.rp singh is 22 and will get better in terms of line and length.

Athlai

Not Terrible
r.p singh is lightyears better than southee ,are you forgetting r.p singh debuted on the
mother of flat tracks in pakistan and got a fife wicket hall.won the series in england
did well in australia.he has 2 bad tests in india and he is not good give me a break.
a guy who can swing the ball at 140km/hr is always better tha guy who can swing it
more at 130km/hr.rp singh is 22 and will get better in terms of line and length.
Southee is 20 and will only get faster and the guy swings it around corners I'd pick him every day of the week in swinging conditions. Though TBF I'd take RP on a flat pitch with nothing in it for the bowlers brings something different to the attack does RP.

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
Yeah he's younger and more talented than RP, far more dangerous in swinging conditions and just as useless without them.
more talented ??????????????

what has he done???????????????

pace-rp singh wins hands down
swing-rp singh wins
bounce-rp singh is taller and has a better action
performances-rp singh has bowled well in england,australia
pak ,t20,southee bowled well on a seaming track in brisbane
god save us from these posts

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
Save that for reposting after the series mate. I bet you would not want to. RP is gun in swinging conditions, Perth? Durban T20? anyone?

However atm I'd prefer Zak, Ishant, Munaf followed by Sree, Bala and RP.
balaji??

the way he hops on to the crease he does not look or bowl like a fast bowlers
he does not deserve anything .he needs to get his pace back first not bowl in 110-120

Athlai

Not Terrible

swing-rp singh wins
How much have you seen Southee play mate?

You acknowledge Brisbane but most agree that while the conditions were bowler friendly they were nowhere that bowler friendly. Or how about his bowling in Napier the flattest track in New Zealand and took 5/55 on debut.

Yes RP is faster.
As for swing? That really makes me question how much you know about Tim. Southee is pegged as a future star while RP Singh may struggle to find himself a place in the Indian team a few years from now.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
i think you are not giving the indian pacers there due.
I think you aren't giving the entire NZ their due.
All I here is "India this, India that" in comparing with NZ. But little of what you have said has made me believe that you know anything about NZ cricket.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member

Not really. Singh is faster, but their average speeds are about 140 and 135 respectively, so its hardly a massive difference
swing-rp singh wins
Nope
Nope and nope.

N...well you get the general idea. Not to say that RP isn't a talented player. But Southee, having just turned 20, looks like being something quite special.

biased indian

International Coach
How much have you seen Southee play mate?

You acknowledge Brisbane but most agree that while the conditions were bowler friendly they were nowhere that bowler friendly. Or how about his bowling in Napier the flattest track in New Zealand and took 5/55 on debut.

Yes RP is faster.
As for swing? That really makes me question how much you know about Tim. Southee is pegged as a future star while RP Singh may struggle to find himself a place in the Indian team a few years from now.
after couple of ODI series and his performance in England RP was also hailed as future of Indian bowling ..so don't go the same with southee think he need to perform well for 10-12 test until you can say he is good ..

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Cricket_God... I am as much of an Indian fan as anyone here but honestly, you are making it sound as if we are the 80s Windies pace battery V2. If we do get thrashed, which is more than possible, I hope you are still around to post in this thread...

Flem274*

123/5
I'm generally one of the first to keep Southee away from non-helpful conditions, but RP Singh is not better than him. That is very clear.

EDIT: And if Bahnz isn't being miserable and whingy about a kiwi, you know he's better than someone. :p

Athlai

Not Terrible
after couple of ODI series and his performance in England RP was also hailed as future of Indian bowling ..so don't go the same with southee think he need to perform well for 10-12 test until you can say he is good ..
Well his performance in the U19 WC is another reason why Southee is so highly rated.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Well his performance in the U19 WC is another reason why Southee is so highly rated.
That wasn't really a big issue for me. There a lots of guys who do well in U19 cricket and then sink without a trace. What really impressed me about Southee was how seemlessly he transitioned from U19 into FC, and then from FC into test cricket. At no point has he ever looked out of his depth or overwhelmed by the situation he has found himself in. The only other New Zealand cricketer I can think of who has ever made a similarly superb start at such a young age is Daniel Vettori, and that says a lot.

Athlai

Not Terrible
That wasn't really a big issue for me. There a lots of guys who do well in U19 cricket and then sink without a trace. What really impressed me about Southee was how seemlessly he transitioned from U19 into FC, and then from FC into test cricket. At no point has he ever looked out of his depth or overwhelmed by the situation he has found himself in. The only other New Zealand cricketer I can think of who has ever made a similarly superb start at such a young age is Daniel Vettori, and that says a lot.
Well I didn't really want to get caught up in all the hype and actually argued against his initial selection in the BlackCaps wanting him to have a few more years at the domestic level. But yeah you called it when you said he hasn't looked out of his depth (aside from when there is nothing in the pitch on offer but so do the rest of the Kiwi's). I think he'll learn the game from the international level and as the years go by his bowling variety will become immense. And when he feels his bowling games at its best he could probably work on his batting a bit too (ala Vettori), he's a very exciting prospect and I'm glad he's been in the Black Caps setup, Bracewell's regime did that bit of good.

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
Not really. Singh is faster, but their average speeds are about 140 and 135 respectively, so its hardly a massive difference

Nope

Nope and nope.

N...well you get the general idea. Not to say that RP isn't a talented player. But Southee, having just turned 20, looks like being something quite special.

rp singh is taller and gets more bounce and your saying nope will not change a thing.

southee is a decent bowlers but there is no hope he will be special
at best he will be a good medium pacer.

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
Cricket_God... I am as much of an Indian fan as anyone here but honestly, you are making it sound as if we are the 80s Windies pace battery V2. If we do get thrashed, which is more than possible, I hope you are still around to post in this thread...
newzealand thrasing us is as improbable as chris martin scoring a century.
i have never seen fast bowlers specially indian bowl so well on dead sub contine nt
tracks against good batsman like now and in helpful conditions i believe we are
the best attack.

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
I'm generally one of the first to keep Southee away from non-helpful conditions, but RP Singh is not better than him. That is very clear.

EDIT: And if Bahnz isn't being miserable and whingy about a kiwi, you know he's better than someone. :p
southee is decent and has potential to be good but he does have natural talents like rp singh and rp singh has better performances and has played more than him.

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
I think you aren't giving the entire NZ their due.
All I here is "India this, India that" in comparing with NZ. But little of what you have said has made me believe that you know anything about NZ cricket.
i have watched every new zealand match and i know how weak their batting is
and how poor their bowling is they struggled against bangladesh
got hammered against a not so deadly australia.and drawn a series against a
weak westindies at home.fact is after bond newzealnd do not have a attack capable of taking 20 wickets unless they are playing on green tracks and batsman they cannot
play anything above 140km except ross taylor who has potential to be worlds best batsman oneday.