• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

Flem274*

123/5
Plus, one swallow doesn't make a summer, or a career, for that matter. Going on that logic Southee>everyone because of his debut. Guptill>everyone because of his debut too.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I don't recall it swinging there a lot either :unsure:

I'll be interested to see.
Anderson got craploads of swing there on day 2 of the test match last year. In the same match Jacob Oram, who is normally pretty straight up and down, was getting some pretty nasty late away movement.

And how on earth could James Franklin have ever amassed such an impressive domestic record, if he spent the predominant part of his early playing days on a ground without swing? As we saw in the recent test match against napier, without movement through the air he's a goldfish.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Anderson got craploads of swing there on day 2 of the test match last year. In the same match Jacob Oram, who is normally pretty straight up and down, was getting some pretty nasty late away movement.

And how on earth could James Franklin have ever amassed such an impressive domestic record, if he spent the predominant part of his early playing days on a ground without swing? As we saw in the recent test match against napier, without movement through the air he's a goldfish.
Until he randomly decides to bowl quickly on the 4th day.

Polo23

International Debutant

Ok. I'm still interested to see how much it does swing in the test. Conditions need to be right, and I'm not entirely sure Wellington get those conditions regularly.

James Franklin also has a pretty impressive test record. I think you're being pretty harsh on Franklin actually, he obviously wasn't back at full pace and was still struggling for rhythm when he played against the West Indies. Before his injury he had been our best test bowler for a couple of years (when Bond was out).

Precambrian

Banned
Mate, he took six wickets in the match. Including Shaun Tait, Brett Lee and Stuart Clark. If by "bowl his team to win" you mean "took three top-order wickets in a match" then Monty Panesar and Steve Harmison both did it in the same match in 2006/07.

Pathan and Sharma were the match-winners there.
Yep, and no one calls Southee crap either. RP deserves a fair go and would get the nod ahead of Pkumar in tests.

Flem274*

123/5
Most NZers on here agree that away from swinging conditions Southee is crap....

Not sure what Southee has to do with RP anyway.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Most NZers on here agree that away from swinging conditions Southee is crap....

Not sure what Southee has to do with RP anyway.
Yeah he's younger and more talented than RP, far more dangerous in swinging conditions and just as useless without them.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yep, and no one calls Southee crap either. RP deserves a fair go and would get the nod ahead of Pkumar in tests.
I didn't mention Southee. He's only had 4 tests to RP's 13, incidentally. And if Praveen was a NZer he'd walk into their team IMHO.

I'd say Southee>RP Singh from what i've seen. Both need the ball to swing but RP has more of a tendency to lose control when it does, not that there's a great deal in it. The reason Southee doesn't get the same abuse is because he's only 20, has only played 4 tests and isn't unjustly taking the place of any other, obviously superior bowlers.

RP Singh doesn't "deserve a fair go" and he's done nothing in any form of cricket to show he does. His FC and List A records are mediocre, his test and ODI records very poor and even to watch him there's nothing there that suggests he's a test-standard bowler. I'm not sure where the selectors even got that idea from tbh. Praveen, by comparison, has a better ODI record and stunning List A/FC records. Not only that, but from what I've seen he looks a much, much more effective bowler. Even if he does bowl about 3mph slower. He's younger, too. If it weren't for disciplinary issues, proponents of picking RP Singh ahead of him wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
Napier tends to be flat as heck. Expect India to pile on 500+ easy.

Na Ishant is good but he's still undercooked a little. In a few years time he'll be the best in the world or close to it but he still isn't something to keep our boys awake at night. Zaheer will do well and Sreesanth will either get some wickets or go for 0/100. The basin will swing and we'll see how good your pacers really are.

Pace isn't everything (not that the Indians are all that fast- admittedly faster than us though) it is all about how your attack works together and the plans they bowl too. If the Indian team puts in the hard yards then I can see them beating us on every track (though draws are still possible), but if they get too ****y we'll claw back on top.
i think you are not giving the indian pacers there due.
on flat dead tracks they outbowled australian ,england pace attacks.
and in the last 5 years the their away record has been very good.

rp singh and zaheer did excellent in england.
ishant,r.psingh did very well in australia and zaheer too in the first test then he got injured.

in newzealand if conditions are helpful believe me its going to be tough for newzealnd batsman.

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
Indian doesn't have a genuine 150+ bowler though do they? From what I've seen they're all around 140 which is what we're used to.
140 in subcontinental conditions in hot weather.here are some fastest speeds of indian bowlers

1-ishant sharma-152.6 km/h (94.8mph} in australia
2-sreesanth-149.4 km/hr in india
3-r.p singh-149.5km/hr in india
4-zaheer-147 km/hr
5-munaf-146 km/hr in his debut series now he clocks 140 rarely.

pace is not the only thing,the fact is there are good swing bowlers in zaheer,sreesanth,
r.psingh and seam bowlers in ishant and munaf and most can reverse the all so
attack for all conditions.

Athlai

Not Terrible
i think you are not giving the indian pacers there due.
on flat dead tracks they outbowled australian ,england pace attacks.
and in the last 5 years the their away record has been very good.

rp singh and zaheer did excellent in england.
ishant,r.psingh did very well in australia and zaheer too in the first test then he got injured.

in newzealand if conditions are helpful believe me its going to be tough for newzealnd batsman.
I'm more saying our bowlers our better than your bowlers aren't going to do well against our batsman. Our bowlers did better in both Australia and England and are very well suited to these conditions.

I actually watched every minute of India in England and India in Australia and I believe Zaheer was excellent in England and then Sreesanth was probably better than RP. Though RP was solid throughout he did get a bit lucky at times.

In Australia Ishant was immensely unlucky a lot of the time, unluckiest bowler I had seen there since Malinga.Then Pathan was probably the next most dangerous looking throughout.

The Indian attack needs a few more years to really find its feet IMO. By no means a poor attack and certainly up there but they aren't as good as SA or Australia yet. And at home NZ (and a full strength England) are better too.

Athlai

Not Terrible
140 in subcontinental conditions in hot weather.here are some fastest speeds of indian bowlers

1-ishant sharma-152.6 km/h (94.8mph} in australia
2-sreesanth-149.4 km/hr in india
3-r.p singh-149.5km/hr in india
4-zaheer-147 km/hr
5-munaf-146 km/hr in his debut series now he clocks 140 rarely.

pace is not the only thing,the fact is there are good swing bowlers in zaheer,sreesanth,
r.psingh and seam bowlers in ishant and munaf and most can reverse the all so
attack for all conditions.
Yeah I just can't see any Indian bowlers bowling express over a period of 2 or more overs which is what I'm saying. I know they all clock up at 140 quite consistently, which is fast bowling, but express bowling is what NZ have most trouble with which I just can't see happening.