• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

Flem274*

123/5
The guy may not be quick, but the likes of Vaas, Mills, McGrath, Clark, Bracken, and countless others (like a certain Syd Barnes) have succeeded in international cricket.

Then there are your Harmisons, Sami's, M Gillespies, Taits etc who are quick but rubbish.

Athlai

Not Terrible
The guy may not be quick, but the likes of Vaas, Mills, McGrath, Clark, Bracken, and countless others (like a certain Syd Barnes) have succeeded in international cricket.

Then there are your Harmisons, Sami's, M Gillespies, Taits etc who are quick but rubbish.
Harsh on Tait as his career hasn't really even got underway.

Precambrian

Banned
In any case, I'd say Chaminda Vaas's case proves that a sub-continent bowler can indeed have success even if not bowling at great pace. The pitches are generally on the slowish side anyway so noone's going to be beaten by pace against anyone but the Taits and Akhtars of the game.
I am not sure whether you've followed Chaminda in the first 5-7 years of his career, because he was up there with Z Khan as to pace. And even with his speed diminished after he passed 30, his accuracy and swing bowling are excellent.

The other thing I would say is that Praveen Kumar is neither Mohanty nor Joginder, and should have the failures of neither of those players held against him. He's been excellent in ODIs for India, and depending on the disciplinary question, deserves a shot at the test side. For this series in particular, medium-fast swingers are a real threat in New Zealand.
I agree that swing bowlers are a threat in NZ, particularly now, considering the relative inexperience of the batsmen there. And I agree he did a reasonably good job in ODIs in Aus. But since then, his form has taken a nose-dive. He couldnt buy a wicket in ODIs in Ban and Pakistan. And his domestic form hasn't been spectacular either. So I wouldn't call for inclusion of Kumar in the team to NZ as of now.

You have to look at the competition too. Do Sreesanth, RP Singh or Munaf really make a convincing case for selection? They're all very hit-and-miss. It's not like I'm advocating he replace an established member of the side like Zaheer or Ishant. Whoever you pick will be a gamble, and I think Kumar has a better chance of success than the other options.
Yes, yes and Yes. On current form as well as considering their International experience, all the 3 mentioned are better selections than Kumar. My first choice would obviously be Munaf Patel, followed by Sreesanth and then RP. Sreesanth has made a good comeback in domestic cricket following his injury layoff and is a genuine matchwinner in swinging conditions. Moreso than P Kumar. Kumar simply does not deserve a spot in test team as of now.

adharcric

International Coach
I haven't the slightest idea whether you give any regard to their domestic FC stats.

Cricinfo - Players and Officials - Joginder Sharma

200 wickets @ 20.05

Cricinfo - Players and Officials - Praveen Kumar

144 wickets @ 23.45

Kthxgoodbye.
Go ahead and question my knowledge of Indian domestic cricket ... now go find me someone with the slightest understanding of the game who thinks Joginder Sharma is better than, as good as or even close to Praveen Kumar as a bowler in international cricket. Oh yeah, don't come back with more of these stats ... it doesn't exactly make you look like an authority on the subject. If you've watched them in action and think Joginder > Praveen, let's talk.

Last edited:

Precambrian

Banned
Go ahead and question my knowledge of Indian domestic cricket ... now go find me someone with the slightest understanding of the game who thinks Joginder Sharma is better than, as good as or even close to Praveen Kumar as a bowler in international cricket. Oh yeah, don't come back with more of these stats ... it doesn't exactly make you look like an authority on the subject. If you've watched them in action and think Joginder > Praveen, let's talk.
Praveen had a good series in Aus and has been hyped up ever since. Let him continue his form in some more ODI series before he has any say whatsoever of getting into test team.

Sorry, am hardly an authority on FC cricket myself and I didn't mean to demerit your knowledge of it, if I did, it was unintentional.

biased indian

International Coach
joginder sharma is joke bowler ...will take prveen kumar over him any day ..but that said praveen will be good test cricket i am not sure he might do weel in england and south africa even with out pace .....but in other places you need a stoke delivery which ahve not see so far..at least for the time being i am happy with our pace attack think munaf will be good in test in NZ that is if he is fully fit

masterblaster

International Captain
The amount of swing Praveen gets both in and out is his biggest asset. He's also much more disciplined as a bowler than somebody like Joginder Sharma who I've seen has a tendency to bowl short and wide two to three times in an over.

I'd definitely have Praveen Kumar over Joginder Sharma in the side at this stage, however I'm not writing Joginder Sharma off as I think with some development he can be useful for India in the future.

As for test matches, Praveen is a better choice than Sreesanth as he is more disciplined and mentally stronger. However Munaf Patel and RP Singh should be the ones next in line for a test spot after Zaheer and Ishant Sharma.

Flem274*

123/5
RP Singh? With respect, from what I've seen of him he'd be one of the last picked.

Please play him though, and rest Zaheer while you're at it. Come on, you know you want to....

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
RP Singh? With respect, from what I've seen of him he'd be one of the last picked.

Please play him though, and rest Zaheer while you're at it. Come on, you know you want to....
Yeah, RP Singh is waaayward. Reminds me of early Jimmy Anderson tbh- too much "when he gets it right he can be awesome!" when it very, very rarely happens. Then again, even Anderson doesn't have an E/R anywhere near as bad as RP's in either form of international cricket.

Sreesanth is a much more promising bowler, but he goes to pieces too easily. I don't think he's a better bet than Kumar, taking into account that their respective records in all forms support what I'd guess from what I've seen of them. Also, his good performances in international cricket seem forever ago now.

Munaf is the incumbent, and easily better than Sreesanth or RP. I wouldn't complain if he was picked, both him and Kumar are a reasonable shout IMO.

Athlai

Not Terrible
TBF after Sharma and Khan the Indian seamers begin to dry up. Munaf if he's fit and ready to go should make the tour and do alright, Sreesanth is really a guy who could either do very well or horribly while I'd personally pick Praveen Kumar ahead of RP Singh everyday of the week. And apparently there are seamers even better than him!

Blooding your seamers in NZ is a very risky mood, our conditions are unlike anything in the world and nigh on all the bowlers will only get their first taste of it when they arrive here. Just seems like a mismanagement to have so many inexperienced (yet talented) guys being sent in.

adharcric

International Coach
The amount of swing Praveen gets both in and out is his biggest asset. He's also much more disciplined as a bowler than somebody like Joginder Sharma who I've seen has a tendency to bowl short and wide two to three times in an over.

I'd definitely have Praveen Kumar over Joginder Sharma in the side at this stage, however I'm not writing Joginder Sharma off as I think with some development he can be useful for India in the future.

As for test matches, Praveen is a better choice than Sreesanth as he is more disciplined and mentally stronger. However Munaf Patel and RP Singh should be the ones next in line for a test spot after Zaheer and Ishant Sharma.
RP Singh is in terrible form and appears to be injured as well. Zaheer-Ishant-Munaf is a sure thing as of now but the reserve spots are still up for grabs. Praveen Kumar, Sreesanth and Irfan Pathan are the main contenders but a wild-card may emerge in the Duleep Trophy.

Precambrian

Banned

Save that for reposting after the series mate. I bet you would not want to. RP is gun in swinging conditions, Perth? Durban T20? anyone?

However atm I'd prefer Zak, Ishant, Munaf followed by Sree, Bala and RP.

Polo23

International Debutant
Save that for reposting after the series mate. I bet you would not want to. RP is gun in swinging conditions, Perth? Durban T20? anyone?
It's a shame for him then that there is no test match in Auckland. Shouldn't swing a lot in Napier or Wellington, if at all. Hamilton maybe a bit.

Uppercut

However atm I'd prefer Zak, Ishant, Munaf followed by Sree, Bala and RP.
He's chucked pies in swinging conditions before too.

Uppercut

As I said, he won't be in my first 3 choices, or 4.

However he has done what no NZ bowler has achieved in a decade, or Englishman, namely bowl his team to a win at Perth.

Chuck that.
Mate, he took six wickets in the match. Including Shaun Tait, Brett Lee and Stuart Clark. If by "bowl his team to win" you mean "took three top-order wickets in a match" then Monty Panesar and Steve Harmison both did it in the same match in 2006/07.

Pathan and Sharma were the match-winners there.