• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
I wouldn't say that Baker has poor accuracy. When he's in rhythm he actually is pretty accurate. The problem is that at this stage in his career, the rhythm isn't consistent.

I like the look of that Test squad in general. Unfortunately I don't think anyone has truly put a hand up to replace Powell, hence his selection. Benn is a ridiculous selection though, as he shouldn't be too far from proving.

My team:

CH Gayle (c)
XM Marshall
RR Sarwan
S Chanderpaul
BP Nash
DS Smith
D Ramdin (wk)
JE Taylor
FH Edwards
DB Powell
AS Jaggernauth

You just know it's gonna be Benn for Jaggernauth and Smith opening though.
Really like this team, as long as you put Nash at 4 Chanders at 5 and Dev Smith at 6, dont see the point in unsettling our best player, despite the knowledge that he might do as well at 4 if not better, too much of a risk.
Backing Richards to play ahead of Marshall. Hasn't got much time left in his career so if they've picked him it's for him to play.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Strange how they give Rashid a shot instead of Swann despite Rashid not being a genuine pick for the test side, would've thought it would have been better for Swanny and Monty to duke it out.
They probably prefer a leggie and a finger-spinner to two finger-spinners. In the context of a match they play such different roles.

Besides, they already know what Swann can do.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Really? Hmm, interesting. Although that may be one reason he has such a modest record despite clearly being capable of so much more.

As i say, he plays very freely off the back foot outside off stump and for an opener that's not ideal. Not that this means it can't work- just that it doesn't look good on paper.
The more likely reason for his modest record is that he was picked way before he was ready for proper cricket. Heck, he played a couple of Tests among his first few FC matches, and back then he was terrible.

He scored hundreds upon hundreds of runs opening at age level, which suggests that he is a natural opener.
Strange how they give Rashid a shot instead of Swann despite Rashid not being a genuine pick for the test side, would've thought it would have been better for Swanny and Monty to duke it out.
I suspect Swann will get a go against the proper opposition- West Indies 'A'. No point in bringing Rashid if he doesn't get some sort of run out.
Backing Richards to play ahead of Marshall. Hasn't got much time left in his career so if they've picked him it's for him to play.
There's not really any genuine precedent for that though. That's just speculative. If anything West Indies have favoured picking younger players who aren't ready over the complete articles.

I'd be surprised if WI didn't pick Devon Smith to open and slip Marshall into the middle order. I definitely wouldn't mind a cap or two for Richards though.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
There's not really any genuine precedent for that though. That's just speculative. If anything West Indies have favoured picking younger players who aren't ready over the complete articles.

I'd be surprised if WI didn't pick Devon Smith to open and slip Marshall into the middle order. I definitely wouldn't mind a cap or two for Richards though.
Don't think so, surely the WICB need to listen to some of the criticsm that they come under, agree with Roseboy with regards to the fact that why would you bring in Richards a 32 year old guy just to be a twelth man. I think the WICB will realise Marshall - like Chatergoon - needs a rest from international cricket. Best team for us will definitely be Ricards opening and Dev Smith batting at 5 or 6

Bob Bamber

U19 12th Man
Can someone remind me why we are playing two spinners in the Windies? One thing I still cannot fathom is why Rashid was overlooked for the India series, and has now been picked for this one - we can't seriously be considering two spinners can we?

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Can someone remind me why we are playing two spinners in the Windies? One thing I still cannot fathom is why Rashid was overlooked for the India series, and has now been picked for this one - we can't seriously be considering two spinners can we?
You can... all of the Windies pitches are dosile and flat, the wickets don't really have any pace and turn can sometimes be possible, although it's very slow low turn. Tbh doesn't really matter who you take to the Windies you'll still win

FBU

International Debutant

I think it is a spin bowl out. Panesar v Rashid with the best one playing in the next match against Swann and whoever does best plays in the 1st Test.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Has opened for most of his career.
Yeah I would go with Marshall opening with Gayle, if he is going to play. I don't fancy him against Monty, he didn't look too pretty against Vettori and his only success on the international stage has come through opening.

Good to see Devon Smith back. I think he could average over 30 in test cricket. Always looked pretty decent to me. Real shame that Bravo isn't fit though.

Uppercut

He doesn't seem the brightest in interviews either. Must be an Essex thing. Still one of my favourite England players.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He was captain of the under 19's in their WC when England got to the semis - and he plays the saxophone and was offered a place in St Paul's Cathedral choir - so he's fully qualified

Woodster

International Captain
On the two spinner issues, while I don't actually think England will play two spinners in the opening Test, in the domestic 4-day competition in the WI it appears that spinners do bowl the majority of the overs there. Sulieman Benn and Ryan Hinds for Barbados, Rawl Lewis and Shane Shillingford for the Windward Islands, Dave Mohammed, Amit Jaggernauth and Sherwin Ganga for T&T, while Nikita Miller and Odean Brown do the job for Jamaica, to name but a few.

So it is not unthinkable that England could opt to go with two, however our strength certainly lies in our seam and swing bowling and the team should be selected with that in mind.