• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa In Australia

Precambrian

Banned
Yeah I'm just winding with that.

However it wouldn't be without precedent... Cricinfo - Players and Officials - Michael Bevan

Still, Hussey has been out of form at home this summer in both forms of the game. He can't stay out of form for too long with the Aus team underperforming as it has been.
Two things worked against Bevan.

1. He was no more a youngster and was pushed for a place in the side by Hussey, Clarke etc.
2. He was pretty poor in the last year of his International career. In fact in 2004, he averaged just 27 from 12 matches.

Hussey's bad run in ODIs have lasted just 3 matches, and he does not look replaceable atleast in ODIs for now.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Only three ago I think..

Something has definitely interfered with Mussey's mojo somehow though - can't seem to take a trick at the moment. I blame Dussey's inclusion... :ph34r:
Unnecessary shunting around the order perhaps. He was the ultimate number 6.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Two things worked against Bevan.

1. He was no more a youngster and was pushed for a place in the side by Hussey, Clarke etc.
2. He was pretty poor in the last year of his International career. In fact in 2004, he averaged just 27 from 12 matches.

Hussey's bad run in ODIs have lasted just 3 matches, and he does not look replaceable atleast in ODIs for now.
I know how well he played against the Bangers and the WIndies, but the last opportunities I've actually had to watch him have been at home and in the World Cup. Let's see his record from these games:

12 - - 2 0 v South Africa Sydney 23 Jan 2009 ODI # 2802
28 - - 1 0 v South Africa Hobart 18 Jan 2009 ODI # 2796
6 - - 0 0 v South Africa Melbourne 16 Jan 2009 ODI # 2795
44 - - 0 0 v India Brisbane 4 Mar 2008 ODI # 2689
45 - - 1 0 v India Sydney 2 Mar 2008 ODI # 2688
5 - - 2 0 v Sri Lanka Melbourne 29 Feb 2008 ODI # 2687
15* - - 1 0 v India Sydney 24 Feb 2008 ODI # 2685
64* - - 0 0 v Sri Lanka Melbourne 22 Feb 2008 ODI # 2683
5 - - 0 0 v India Adelaide 17 Feb 2008 ODI # 2680
25 - - 1 0 v Sri Lanka Perth 15 Feb 2008 ODI # 2679
65* - - 1 0 v India Melbourne 10 Feb 2008 ODI # 2675
10 - - 0 0 v Sri Lanka Sydney 8 Feb 2008 ODI # 2673
DNB - - 0 0 v India Brisbane 3 Feb 2008 ODI # 2670
9 - - 0 0 v New Zealand Hobart 20 Dec 2007 ODI # 2657
TDNB - - 0 0 v New Zealand Sydney 16 Dec 2007 ODI # 2656
DNB - - 0 0 v New Zealand Adelaide 14 Dec 2007 ODI # 2655
DNB - - 0 0 v Sri Lanka Bridgetown 28 Apr 2007 ODI # 2581
DNB - - 0 0 v South Africa Gros Islet 25 Apr 2007 ODI # 2580
37 - - 2 0 v New Zealand St George's 20 Apr 2007 ODI # 2577
DNB - - 0 0 v Sri Lanka St George's 16 Apr 2007 ODI # 2573
30* - - 0 0 v Ireland Bridgetown 13 Apr 2007 ODI # 2570
DNB - - 2 0 v England North Sound 8 Apr 2007 ODI # 2565
DNB - - 0 0 v Bangladesh North Sound 31 Mar 2007 ODI # 2559
9 - - 0 0 v West Indies North Sound 27 Mar 2007 ODI # 2555
5 - - 0 0 v South Africa Basseterre 24 Mar 2007 ODI # 2552
2 - - 1 0 v Netherlands Basseterre 18 Mar 2007 ODI # 2540
4 - - 0 0 v Scotland Basseterre 14 Mar 2007 ODI # 2532

Two half tons in 27 matches (19 innings). Not the most convincing form.

Again I'll reiterate that these are only the games *I've* had the chance to watch over the last couple of years.

oldmancraigy

U19 12th Man
Hauritz has performed well over a longer period of time than Heal and you're ready to drop him after one ODI.
you can't really say Hauritz has performed "well" - he's been a solid performer, but not a good one (at any level of the game).

Heal is performing "well" this season with his spinners in 7 matches he has 10 wickets (@25) and has only gone for 4.16 per over. Hauritz has gone at 4.5 per over, lacks penetration, and (over his ODI career) goes at 5.33 an over.

I don't know if Heal will trouble the South Africans - but it's clear that Hauritz isn't in great form with the ball, even his best form is 'average', and the South Africans are happy to push him around for 5-6 an over comfortably. On a pitch where Duminy (!) gave our batsmen something to think about, Hauritz was predictable and didn't do the job that he needed to.

Heal is a much better batsman than Hauritz too. It's not like Hauritz is international quality anyway - why not see if Heal is!?!?!

The other guy we should be thinking about giving a game to is Stephen Smith. Firstly, he's a legspinner! And he gets wickets in the shortest form of the game - and also has 6 in 7 games on the ODD scene. Add that to his late order hitting power, and there's a reason to give him a shot! That's probably an experiment to try out next season though...

Son Of Coco

Can anyone clarify the Tait-hate here? He bowled pretty much around 150 kmph consistently which would not have been possible had he been unfit. Plus his figures would have been much better if he were not dropped two times early on. He missed a catch, but that chance was harsher than what Dave Hussey got.
He sprays it around and always seems just as likely to get smashed as he does bowl a great ball. He gets talked about as if he's difficult to play and yet seems to regularly go for quite a few runs. Sure, if he has a good night he can do a lot of damage, but personally I don't think it's worth waiting through all the bad games for...

I don't hate him though, I just wish he'd be more consistent. It'd be nice if he had an action that used his height too, instead of delivering it at about the height a midget would :happy:

Precambrian

Banned
He sprays it around and always seems just as likely to get smashed as he does bowl a great ball. He gets talked about as if he's difficult to play and yet seems to regularly go for quite a few runs. Sure, if he has a good night he can do a lot of damage, but personally I don't think it's worth waiting through all the bad games for...

I don't hate him though, I just wish he'd be more consistent. It'd be nice if he had an action that used his height too, instead of delivering it at about the height a midget would :happy:
Lol, I dunno how me or you are qualified to comment on his action, but I don't think he can attain the speeds he achieves now without that slinging action. He gets good bounce also. However he looks a prime candidate for some injury with such pressure on his shoulders.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
No worries on Tait for me. He is just back after his premature retirement & his still getting his fitness back to 100% again (although it hasn't affected his speeds much). We all know what Tait can do once he plays regularly, i.e 2007 WC.

If he had gotten Gibbs early & those two wicket in the first over, the whole complexion of the game may have gone different.

stephen

Tait's ODI record:

1/55 - 9.3 v South Africa
2/43 -10.0 v South Africa
2/30 - 8.0 v New Zealand
DNB v New Zealand
3/59 - 10.0 v New Zealand
0/42 - 6.0 v Sri Lanka
4/39 - 10.0 v South Africa
3/32 - 6.0 v New Zealand
2/68 - 10.0 v Sri Lanka
3/39 - 6.0 v Ireland
3/41 - 10.0 v England
1/28 - 4.0 v Bangladesh
2/43 - 7.3 v West Indies
2/61 - 10.0 v South Africa
1/29 - 7.0 v Netherlands
2/45 - 8.0 v Scotland
2/60 - 10.0 v New Zealand
0/64 - 9.0 v New Zealand
1/26 - 10.0 v New Zealand
2/68 - 10.0 v England

To me he looks like he's had 3 bad games (vs NZ, SL and SA last night). Every other game he has taken at least a couple of wickets, or one wicket for not many runs. Saying you get 3 bad games out of him for every good game is a bit fallacious if you actually look at the stats. More like the other way around.

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

Lol, I dunno how me or you are qualified to comment on his action, but I don't think he can attain the speeds he achieves now without that slinging action. He gets good bounce also. However he looks a prime candidate for some injury with such pressure on his shoulders.
Well you don't really have to be an expert in biomechanics to see Tait's action isn't a great one...it gets him speed but then so does Lee's action, Bond's action, Siddle's action etc etc. These guys all have different actions, no two are going to be exactly the same, but they still generate a lot of pace (or in some cases...did).

Similarly, it's fairly obvious that Harmison's action doesn't lend itself to great consistency without a substantial amount of pre-series preparation. He doesn't have an easily repeatable action like McGrath did.

I agree that he looks like a prime candidate for injury though...and has already had his fair share.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Tait's ODI record:

1/55 - 9.3 v South Africa
2/43 -10.0 v South Africa
2/30 - 8.0 v New Zealand
DNB v New Zealand
3/59 - 10.0 v New Zealand
0/42 - 6.0 v Sri Lanka
4/39 - 10.0 v South Africa
3/32 - 6.0 v New Zealand
2/68 - 10.0 v Sri Lanka
3/39 - 6.0 v Ireland
3/41 - 10.0 v England
1/28 - 4.0 v Bangladesh
2/43 - 7.3 v West Indies
2/61 - 10.0 v South Africa
1/29 - 7.0 v Netherlands
2/45 - 8.0 v Scotland
2/60 - 10.0 v New Zealand
0/64 - 9.0 v New Zealand
1/26 - 10.0 v New Zealand
2/68 - 10.0 v England

To me he looks like he's had 3 bad games (vs NZ, SL and SA last night). Every other game he has taken at least a couple of wickets, or one wicket for not many runs. Saying you get 3 bad games out of him for every good game is a bit fallacious if you actually look at the stats. More like the other way around.
In some of the games he's had an atrocious economy rate.

The game against Ireland in the World Cup summed him up perfectly for me. Wayward and expensive for the most part, but bowled 3 utterly unplayable deliveries that got wickets.

His wicket-taking factor means that he's always going to be an asset at ODI level.

biased indian

International Coach
Wonder if CA will discount the tickets now that we're playing our 3rd stringers

Oz needs 400+ with this attack on the Adelaide Oval

The injury toll really is becoming a joke
the last game was lost by the poor fielding rather than bowling i would say ....

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Wonder if CA will discount the tickets now that we're playing our 3rd stringers

Oz needs 400+ with this attack on the Adelaide Oval

The injury toll really is becoming a joke
Whatever you need to say to make yourself feel better...

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wouldn't even begin to blame him for last night's SA game, when you remove both opening batsmen in the first over of an ODI you're having a good one. It's not his fault he didn't have the help of his field, and Gibbs ended up going crazy (as he occasionally does) and annihilating Tait's figures. I agree with BI- the match was lost by poor fielding, not poor bowling.