• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa In Australia

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
laughingsmiley.jpg
Hughes has started to come good in One Dayers in his last few games and has looked good even when not making runs. I was right about Marsh, just like I reckon I'm right about him.

Don't understand what's so funny about picking Heal. Averaging 25 with the ball this season. :unsure:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For the record, with the players available, I'd put forward something like

Hughes/Warner
Marsh
Ponting
North
Dussey
Mussey
Haddin
Johnson
Heal
Bracken
Hilfenhaus/Bollinger
Well North could be an option for Hopes, but we would have to expect 65+ runs from our 5 bowling options every time.

Heal has almost an identical average and economy as Hauritz but has way less experience.

Hilfenhaus/Bollinger would be decent options and definately fit the balance of your side better than Tait. Yet Tait is a proven wicket taking option who adds something very different and dangerous to the team.

I still think that the selectors have it right, it's the players that haven't.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Well North could be an option for Hopes, but we would have to expect 65+ runs from our 5 bowling options every time.

Heal has almost an identical average and economy as Hauritz but has way less experience.

Hilfenhaus/Bollinger would be decent options and definately fit the balance of your side better than Tait. Yet Tait is a proven wicket taking option who adds something very different and dangerous to the team.

I still think that the selectors have it right, it's the players that haven't.
North is a far, far better batsman than Hopes. Whilst Hopes is obviously the better bowler, I'd be more than happy to have North/Hussey bowl ten with the extra strength.

Let's go by averages! Dire. How many state and club matches have you been to this season? Been to Perth to watch him bowl? No? K. If you'd like to argue with averages, Heal is averaging 25 with the ball this season compared to Hauritz's 42.

Again with Tait - he's clearly not match ready and can't field or bat. It wouldn't surprise me if he got injured before the series end. I'd agree that Tait is different and dangerous though.

stephen

North is a far, far better batsman than Hopes. Whilst Hopes is obviously the better bowler, I'd be more than happy to have North/Hussey bowl ten with the extra strength.

Let's go by averages! Dire. How many state and club matches have you been to this season? Been to Perth to watch him bowl? No? K. If you'd like to argue with averages, Heal is averaging 25 with the ball this season compared to Hauritz's 42.

Again with Tait - he's clearly not match ready and can't field or bat. It wouldn't surprise me if he got injured before the series end. I'd agree that Tait is different and dangerous though.
My point RE: Heal was more that it went against your previously stated position:

I'm over players with hype, time to select proven Domestic Cricket performers.
Hauritz has performed well over a longer period of time than Heal and you're ready to drop him after one ODI.

North is a quality batsman, but I really would not feel comfortable relying on him and D Hussey for 10 overs. Oh for the return of Symonds or even Watson!

Oh and RE: Tait, Ponting is bowling him now in exactly the same manner as he bowled him in the '07 world cup. If a guy is bowling at 145-155kph for 10 overs then he is match fit IMO, even if you split the overs.

Precambrian

Banned
Doh, nice way to put words in someone's mouth. Matt isn't saying he expects Warner to do anything. However, he is saying that because of the type of player Warner is, and from what he's shown in his brief international career, he has the potential to break records. There's nothing certain about it.
:sleep:

Precambrian

Banned
Exactly. Warner is to date a far inferior ODI player to Simon Katich and Shaun Marsh, and yet he has the potential ability to do something in very specific circumstances that they don't - which was what I pointed out.

Anyway, wasted enough breath explaining what was a perfectly clear remark to 99.9% of readers. Susudear will just have to figure it out himself from here.
Fair dinkum.

Except the susudear part.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
My point RE: Heal was more that it went against your previously stated position:

Hauritz has performed well over a longer period of time than Heal and you're ready to drop him after one ODI.

North is a quality batsman, but I really would not feel comfortable relying on him and D Hussey for 10 overs. Oh for the return of Symonds or even Watson!

Oh and RE: Tait, Ponting is bowling him now in exactly the same manner as he bowled him in the '07 world cup. If a guy is bowling at 145-155kph for 10 overs then he is match fit IMO, even if you split the overs.
Fair call re: Heal. To be fair, he's now almost strung together two really successful off-seasons and regular seasons.

Hauritz is just not International Class, it's plain for anyone to see. He's had more than one ODI btw. :p

In the case of a spinner, Heal is imo, easily the best option in Australia and I feel we really need a spinner for the balance of our ODI side.

Even Watson? Defo Watson.

Tait is struggling and looks like he'd rather be at home in bed. Until he bowls more than a three over spell, I am not convinced he's fit. And again, the bowling orders are completely revolving around Tait, which is absurd! I can't imagine how frustrating that is for Ponting and the other bowlers.

Precambrian

Banned
Can anyone clarify the Tait-hate here? He bowled pretty much around 150 kmph consistently which would not have been possible had he been unfit. Plus his figures would have been much better if he were not dropped two times early on. He missed a catch, but that chance was harsher than what Dave Hussey got.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can anyone clarify the Tait-hate here? He bowled pretty much around 150 kmph consistently which would not have been possible had he been unfit. Plus his figures would have been much better if he were not dropped two times early on. He missed a catch, but that chance was harsher than what Dave Hussey got.
He never fills you full of confidence. Anything could happen. As a sort-of neutral, i love the guy for that reason. But when you're actively supporting a team with Tait in it you see things differently. No big Australia fan sees Tait coming on to bowl with Oz in trouble and thinks, "ah, it's okay- Tait's been given the ball".

Precambrian

Banned
He never fills you full of confidence. Anything could happen. As a sort-of neutral, i love the guy for that reason. But when you're actively supporting a team with Tait in it you see things differently. No big Australia fan sees Tait coming on to bowl with Oz in trouble and thinks, "ah, it's okay- Tait's been given the ball".
More with perception than actuality. The guy's job predominantly is to perform at the beginning, which he does not so badly. And I was impressed with his yorker after yorker when the chase got into fufll gear. However, he's still evolving as a bowler, and he is as rare as genuine strike bowlers come.

However that said, a Tait without a Bracken can be quite disastrous also. Tait's sudden strikes combined with McG's accuracy and economy was the key behind both emerging as top wicket takers in the WC and Australia lifting the trophy.

stephen

I don't know why people don't like Tait. He's been Australia's best wicket taker in the short form since the World Cup when he's played. Having a guy like him in the team gives your bowling attack so much more penetration. He has a bowling average under 25 and a strike rate not much higher. You could even see how much respect the South African's have for him in the post match interviews. He's not the kind of guy you want to face.

I think our biggest issues have more to do with 3 dropped catches and our fragile middle order moreso than our bowling.

Dare I say it, the selectors may have to consider looking at Mike Hussey if his form doesn't improve soon.

Precambrian

Banned
I don't know why people don't like Tait. He's been Australia's best wicket taker in the short form since the World Cup when he's played. Having a guy like him in the team gives your bowling attack so much more penetration. He has a bowling average under 25 and a strike rate not much higher. You could even see how much respect the South African's have for him in the post match interviews. He's not the kind of guy you want to face.

I think our biggest issues have more to do with 3 dropped catches and our fragile middle order moreso than our bowling.

Dare I say it, the selectors may have to consider looking at Mike Hussey if his form doesn't improve soon.
AWTA.

Except for the Hussey part. It will be sacrilegious if an ODI batsman averaging over 55 after 100 matches get dropped.

stephen

AWTA.

Except for the Hussey part. It will be sacrilegious if an ODI batsman averaging over 55 after 100 matches get dropped.
Yeah I'm just winding with that.

However it wouldn't be without precedent... Cricinfo - Players and Officials - Michael Bevan

Still, Hussey has been out of form at home this summer in both forms of the game. He can't stay out of form for too long with the Aus team underperforming as it has been.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Ridiculous. Got run-out today when it wasn't even his fault.

Didn't he score fifty, like, four innings ago?

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Only three ago I think..

Something has definitely interfered with Mussey's mojo somehow though - can't seem to take a trick at the moment. I blame Dussey's inclusion... :ph34r: