• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to IPL 2009.

Precambrian

Banned
If the flash in the pan youngster shows he can whack 150+ Ks bowlers into the midwicket stands with normal, improvised strokes than complete slogs at 85 yard boundary grounds, I think he will be shoe in for IPL with the 6 yard ridiculous boundaries and roads that pass off for pitches... Gambhir is not Jayasuriya.. He will be fine at 3.
Exactly how many matches he did that? Wait, how many overs? Oh wait, how many balls?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
News from Napier's website is that he is in contract negotiations with the Mumbai Indians with full intent to sign for them.

R_D

International Debutant
Dhawan for Nehra...... pretty good for mumbai i reckon... they get a solid top order batsman... batting was pretty shocking for Mumbai last year.
Don't know why you'd swap Nehra for Dhawan thou.... Nehra had few good matches but likely to break down after couple of matches anyway.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There are reports that Delhi and Mumbai have agreed to a straight swap with Shikhar Dhawan and Ashish Nehra. If true, the Daredevils need to get a check on the mental status of their management asap.
Awesome deal.

pup11

International Coach
Dhawan for Nehra...... pretty good for mumbai i reckon... they get a solid top order batsman... batting was pretty shocking for Mumbai last year.
Don't know why you'd swap Nehra for Dhawan thou.... Nehra had few good matches but likely to break down after couple of matches anyway.
a) Nehra is a close friend of Sehwag.

b) Delhi' bowling stocks are pretty average atm.

c) They probably want Warner to bat at three, therefore didn't feel Dhawan was required anymore.

But whatever the reason, a piss-poor decision by Delhi, why would you trade off one of your most consistent batsman for a mercurial 30 year old quick....

Delhi apparently taking a huge punt with Warner though, the bloke is raw atm, and though its possible he might be blast bowling attacks into submission with his attacking prowess on the smaller Indian grounds, but he could very easily end up having a horrible tournament too.

pasag

RTDAS
Heard this going around a bit, but ask any spinner who has bowled to Warner whether he can play spin, and you'll get a resounding answer.

Takes a very good spinner to get him out. Takes a genius to do it twice
Give the bloke an IPL contract IMO.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
a) Nehra is a close friend of Sehwag.

b) Delhi' bowling stocks are pretty average atm.

c) They probably want Warner to bat at three, therefore didn't feel Dhawan was required anymore.

But whatever the reason, a piss-poor decision by Delhi, why would you trade off one of your most consistent batsman for a mercurial 30 year old quick....

Delhi apparently taking a huge punt with Warner though, the bloke is raw atm, and though its possible he might be blast bowling attacks into submission with his attacking prowess on the smaller Indian grounds, but he could very easily end up having a horrible tournament too.
Yeah, pretty much spot on, other than point (b) imo. This could backfire on both Delhi and Mumbai big time. Delhi have messed up, they already have McGrath, Vettori, Mishra, Sangwan and Yo. They don't need yet another bowler. Mumbai on the other hand will have one bowler less this season since Pollock is pretty much confirmed not to play. And they have gone ahead and traded away Nehra. Although it isn't as big a loss for them as it is for Delhi. Dhawan is a superb batsman.

I guess for this to make perfect sense for Mumbai, it could only mean one thing - Bangalore must have agreed to the Zaheer-Uthappa trade. That way Mumbai get a better batsman (Dhawan > Uthappa on evidence of the last IPL) and a better bowler (Zaheer > Nehra).

Massive lol at Delhi though :laugh:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah, pretty much spot on, other than point (b) imo. This could backfire on both Delhi and Mumbai big time. Delhi have messed up, they already have McGrath, Vettori, Mishra, Sangwan and Yo. They don't need yet another bowler. Mumbai on the other hand will have one bowler less this season since Pollock is pretty much confirmed not to play. And they have gone ahead and traded away Nehra. Although it isn't as big a loss for them as it is for Delhi. Dhawan is a superb batsman.

I guess for this to make perfect sense for Mumbai, it could only mean one thing - Bangalore must have agreed to the Zaheer-Uthappa trade. That way Mumbai get a better batsman (Dhawan > Uthappa on evidence of the last IPL) and a better bowler (Zaheer > Nehra).

Bangalore trading away Zak may not be the worst move yet... I guess they ll play Bracken, Steyn and a few other bowlers.. Reckon their bowling is weak any which way....

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year

I took a second look at Mumbai's bowling stocks, and bowling is their strength. That their batting is a weakness is an understatement, though- it does look a little weak bar Sachin, Sanath, Bravo, and- guess who- Uthappa. Even if they lose Nehra, they are still left with Dilhara (available often but subject to fitness), Malinga (subject to fitness), Nel (no problem), Zaheer (once the deal is settled), Harbhajan (tough to leave out), Kulkarni (decent IPL last time, fantastic Ranji season), Bravo (useful stock bowler), Nayar (under-rated seam-up bowler) and Smith (likewise), so that's not such a problem. Fitness issues of a few (mostly Lankans) will be a key. This makes the entry of Dhawan a good move for Mumbai.

Delhi have rather thin bowling stocks- except McGrath and Vettori, they don't have too many. Nehra will add some experience and limited-overs intelligence, as also Maharoof. Mishra is a dicey pick- he's the kind who'll get slaughtered, but he's also claimed a hat-trick. How many runs they squeeze out of Mishra, Maharoof and Vettori is a key factor in their performance- you drop one bowler and the part-timers will get smashed around.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I took a second look at Mumbai's bowling stocks, and bowling is their strength. That their batting is a weakness is an understatement, though- it does look a little weak bar Sachin, Sanath, Bravo, and- guess who- Uthappa. Even if they lose Nehra, they are still left with Dilhara (available often but subject to fitness), Malinga (subject to fitness), Nel (no problem), Zaheer (once the deal is settled), Harbhajan (tough to leave out), Kulkarni (decent IPL last time, fantastic Ranji season), Bravo (useful stock bowler), Nayar (under-rated seam-up bowler) and Smith (likewise), so that's not such a problem. Fitness issues of a few (mostly Lankans) will be a key. This makes the entry of Dhawan a good move for Mumbai.

Delhi have rather thin bowling stocks- except McGrath and Vettori, they don't have too many. Nehra will add some experience and limited-overs intelligence, as also Maharoof. Mishra is a dicey pick- he's the kind who'll get slaughtered, but he's also claimed a hat-trick. How many runs they squeeze out of Mishra, Maharoof and Vettori is a key factor in their performance- you drop one bowler and the part-timers will get smashed around.
There's a lot of foreigners in the Mumbai attack though. That could be a problem, particularly if one of their Indian players gets injured or suspended again.

I wouldn't call Mishra a dicey pick at all. Check out his T20 record. It even ****s all over Glenn McGrath's (even in terms of economy).

Good riddance. Now to get that asshole Afridi out of Deccan Charges squad.
Most of the people would agree to you if you call the Deccan side an ass hole instead of Afridi.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Some people write here just to increase their number of posts. Better take advice of someone else before posting anything silly like that.

Precambrian

Banned
Most of the people would agree to you if you call the Deccan side an ass hole instead of Afridi.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Some people write here just to increase their number of posts. Better take advice of someone else before posting anything silly like that.
Joe Idiot. It's plain stupidity to even reply to those messages, but let me do it for the last time. Deccan Chargers were huge idiots to include him in the squad in the first place. He might have been a serviceable spin option, however was grossly overestimated his worth as a batsman and paid literally the price for it.

And as to Pakistani players not taking part in the IPL, it's a minor loss as compared to the vast talent out there to replace them. The only real loss is that of Sohail Tanveer who is an awesome T20 bowler. His loss is more than offset by Asif, Afridi etc being shown the door.

Funny enough you comment on the number of posts when you have posted two totally crap posts yourself.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Ray Jennings has recruited South African all-rounder, Dillon du Preez for Bangalore. du Preez is a seamer from the Eagles (bit similar to Ashley Noffke) who opens the bowling, has a rep of being a decent death bowler and is big slogger of the ball. He currently has a Kolpak contract with Leicestershire but if he strikes it big here he will give that up and look to play for South Africa.

Dale Steyn, Mark Boucher, Jacques Kallis, Nathan Bracken and Cameron White all won't be available to the IPL until the fag end of April, so the likes of du Preez have an early chance to impress.

R_D

International Debutant
There's talk of Zaheer being swapped for Uthappa between Mumbai and Banglore..
Mumbai might do well in this edition with inclusion of Zaheer and Dhawan in the team. Will surely miss pollock thou

Julian87

State Captain
Sorry I haven't read the entire thread, but does anyone know if there will be many comings and goings in the Rajasthan team?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Sorry I haven't read the entire thread, but does anyone know if there will be many comings and goings in the Rajasthan team?
I think they've said there won't be any goings. Looking at their team, they have strength in the batting internationals (Smith, Watson, Langer, Younis, Akmal) and not so much in the bowling (M Morkel, Warne, Tanvir). I'm assuming Watson won't bowl much, and I wonder how much Warne will bowl. So I wouldn't be surprised if they try to pick up a bowler or two.

Also, I reckon they'll stick with the tried and tested method of picking good Indian youngsters, so it will be interesting to see who they take there. And perhaps a young Aussie/South African on not too much money.