• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to IPL 2009.

pup11

International Coach
they may but I feel DK is a much better option at the lower middle order/middle order than a Manoj Tiwary and they will gain AB's fielding which is of the highest quality possible... And 4 foreign players, they can pick Dilshan, Warner, AB and McGrath... It is not like Asif is going to available so they can pick these guys. Is Dan Vettori in the DD side?
Tiwari is very likely to be traded to KKR, and yeah Vettori is part of DD and so is Maharoof and Geeves (who has really improved since his stint at the IPL).

Btw, don't count Asif out of the equation just yet, he told prosecutors in Dubai that, he thought opium was a herbal remedy, and he didn't knew it was a narcotic drugs....8-)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well, in that case, one of Dilshan or AB will have to miss out and considering that they already have a regular keeper in Karthik, I think they will pick Dilshan who offers a bit of off-spin too. The 4 would be, IMO, McGrath, Dilshan, Vettori and Warner. Two bowlers and two batters... They will pick Sehwag, Gambhir, Dhawan and Karthik to make the top 6 with Dilshan batting at 5. And they can have Vettori at 7, Yo Mahesh/Sangwan at 8, Bhatia at 9 and Mishra at 10 and Pidge there at 11. That team will have good to decent depth in all forms. Else they can also drop Bhatia to play an extra batter there somewhere.. Given they have McGrath, Vettori, Mishra plus Yo/Sangwan to bowl 16 overs, the rest can be handled by Sehwag/Dilshan. Does this guy Warner bowl to any decent level?

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
I'm sure that would be the case in normal competition, but playing 14+ games in such a short period of time would take its toll on any bowler.
An international bowler bowls more than 4 overs a day on average through trainings etc. I wouldn't expect the IPL to take any physical toll on them.

Perhaps as the tournament goes on they could get more and more hungover, causing their speeds to drop.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Warney on missing out on David Warner...

"At the change over between innings I bump into Warnie again at our favourite meeting place, the urinal. "****, **** and **** again!" exclaims Warnie, captain and erstwhile coach of the IPL champions, the Rajasthan Royals. "We could have signed him but I said 'no, he's only done it twice at domestic level, let him prove himself first. ****!""

http://www.supersport.co.za/cricket/columns.aspx?id=7015&headline=Neil+Manthorp+in+Australia

pup11

International Coach
Warney on missing out on David Warner...

"At the change over between innings I bump into Warnie again at our favourite meeting place, the urinal. "****, **** and **** again!" exclaims Warnie, captain and erstwhile coach of the IPL champions, the Rajasthan Royals. "We could have signed him but I said 'no, he's only done it twice at domestic level, let him prove himself first. ****!""

http://www.supersport.co.za/cricket/columns.aspx?id=7015&headline=Neil+Manthorp+in+Australia
Haha, Warnie would surely be feeling like an idiot now, i don't think he would be enjoying the prospect of bowling to Warner either.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
An ideal Delhi Daredevils XI would have McGrath, Maharoof, Vettori and possibly AB de Villiers. The combination of Maharoof and Vettori will yield useful lower-order runs, and Delhi need that extra bowler. We've seen Gony hit some big shots off the batsmen called on to bowl- Malik won't be available, Sehwag can't bowl for toffees and Dilshan is slightly better. If they end up opening with Sehwag and Warner with Gambhir at three, it's a recipe for disaster. You don't change a winning combination. That top three of Sehwag, Gambhir and Dhawan is doing well, so there's no point disrupting that. Their middle-order is a bit vulnerable, so Warner, who's in form, can make a place for himself there. We can then settle with this XI, if no international matches happen at this time.
  • Sehwag
  • Gambhir
  • Dhawan
  • AB/Warner/Dilshan
  • Karthik (WK)
  • Maharoof (RMF)
  • Vettori (SLA)
  • Mishra (LBG)
  • Manhas (backup)
  • Sangwan (LM)/Yo Mahesh (RMF)
  • McGrath (RFM)
This should look good. Where's Bhatia, you may ask? If he can't last four overs in a match, he may not get a match. He was quite effective when the tournament began, but was a lot less of a factor later on. If playing five bowlers isn't feasible, he returns. The franchise, however, may be better served by getting back any of the catchment players from Chennai, Bangalore, Kolkata and Mumbai.

pup11

International Coach
An ideal Delhi Daredevils XI would have McGrath, Maharoof, Vettori and possibly AB de Villiers. The combination of Maharoof and Vettori will yield useful lower-order runs, and Delhi need that extra bowler. We've seen Gony hit some big shots off the batsmen called on to bowl- Malik won't be available, Sehwag can't bowl for toffees and Dilshan is slightly better. If they end up opening with Sehwag and Warner with Gambhir at three, it's a recipe for disaster. You don't change a winning combination. That top three of Sehwag, Gambhir and Dhawan is doing well, so there's no point disrupting that. Their middle-order is a bit vulnerable, so Warner, who's in form, can make a place for himself there. We can then settle with this XI, if no international matches happen at this time.
  • Sehwag
  • Gambhir
  • Dhawan
  • AB/Warner/Dilshan
  • Karthik (WK)
  • Maharoof (RMF)
  • Vettori (SLA)
  • Mishra (LBG)
  • Manhas (backup)
  • Sangwan (LM)/Yo Mahesh (RMF)
  • McGrath (RFM)
This should look good. Where's Bhatia, you may ask? If he can't last four overs in a match, he may not get a match. He was quite effective when the tournament began, but was a lot less of a factor later on. If playing five bowlers isn't feasible, he returns. The franchise, however, may be better served by getting back any of the catchment players from Chennai, Bangalore, Kolkata and Mumbai.
No way Warner should bat anywhere else then no.1 or 2, there is just no merit in having him in the middle-order, a bloke like Warner is a game-breaker, if he gets going the opposition is all but blown away, Gambhir can move down to three, he has shown he is flexible enough to adjust to batting at 3.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I disagree re moving Gambhir down to 3. Sehwag and Gambhir have too good a thing going on for them to be split. The only person for whom Gambhir can move down is Tendulkar, not some flash in the pan youngster.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I disagree re moving Gambhir down to 3. Sehwag and Gambhir have too good a thing going on for them to be split. The only person for whom Gambhir can move down is Tendulkar, not some flash in the pan youngster.
If the flash in the pan youngster shows he can whack 150+ Ks bowlers into the midwicket stands with normal, improvised strokes than complete slogs at 85 yard boundary grounds, I think he will be shoe in for IPL with the 6 yard ridiculous boundaries and roads that pass off for pitches... Gambhir is not Jayasuriya.. He will be fine at 3.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
No way Warner should bat anywhere else then no.1 or 2, there is just no merit in having him in the middle-order, a bloke like Warner is a game-breaker, if he gets going the opposition is all but blown away, Gambhir can move down to three, he has shown he is flexible enough to adjust to batting at 3.
A combination of Sehwag and Gambhir has worked, and you wouldn't want to disturb that. It's worked time and again in the IPL, Tests and one-dayers. Warner just has had one good match and shouldn't immediately make it ahead of a proven success like this. If he's a game-breaker at one or two, he can be one at three as well. There's no reason why someone like Gambhir, who's done well as an opener, should drop down the order while a nobody should open and not bat any lower. What Warner did in one innings, Sehwag and Gambhir have done repeatedly, so there's no need to split that- rather, the relatively light middle-order could use him.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Like Brad Haddin, he is the only decent keeper left out there, i think the Royals too would do well to get him in their side, because Akmal won't be there this season.
There is, however, a temptation to open the batting with Ronchi- a move that's failed repeatedly. Haddin is a decent wicketkeeper, the last Test series in India notwithstanding, but there's no such temptation with him. Takawale is doing very well behind the stumps, can do just as well at seven or eight, and he should stay in the XI.

pup11

International Coach
A combination of Sehwag and Gambhir has worked, and you wouldn't want to disturb that. It's worked time and again in the IPL, Tests and one-dayers. Warner just has had one good match and shouldn't immediately make it ahead of a proven success like this. If he's a game-breaker at one or two, he can be one at three as well. There's no reason why someone like Gambhir, who's done well as an opener, should drop down the order while a nobody should open and not bat any lower. What Warner did in one innings, Sehwag and Gambhir have done repeatedly, so there's no need to split that- rather, the relatively light middle-order could use him.
Warner is likely to do severe damage in the power-play overs while opening the batting, but there is also merit in sticking with Gambhir-Sehwag opening combination, and in that case Warner shouldn't be picked in the side at all, because Warner batting in the middle-order especially against good spin bowling, might not find it too easy to get things going.

pup11

International Coach
There is, however, a temptation to open the batting with Ronchi- a move that's failed repeatedly. Haddin is a decent wicketkeeper, the last Test series in India notwithstanding, but there's no such temptation with him. Takawale is doing very well behind the stumps, can do just as well at seven or eight, and he should stay in the XI.
Ronchi shouldn't open the batting at all, he should be used as a floater imo, a bloke like him could be used to provide the innings some impetus with his aggressive style of batting, but given Ronchi' form this season its highly unlikely he would do any good with the bat, anyways Haddin' wicket-keeping aside, he is an awesome striker of the cricket ball and is worth his place in the side as batsman only and his wicket-keeping is only an added bonus, so any franchise would do well to acquire a player like him.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Warner is likely to do severe damage in the power-play overs while opening the batting, but there is also merit in sticking with Gambhir-Sehwag opening combination, and in that case Warner shouldn't be picked in the side at all, because Warner batting in the middle-order especially against good spin bowling, might not find it too easy to get things going.
Heard this going around a bit, but ask any spinner who has bowled to Warner whether he can play spin, and you'll get a resounding answer.

Takes a very good spinner to get him out. Takes a genius to do it twice

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Heard this going around a bit, but ask any spinner who has bowled to Warner whether he can play spin, and you'll get a resounding answer.

Takes a very good spinner to get him out. Takes a genius to do it twice
Good to see that whereas Australia have some very good spinners (North, Heal, Docherty, Cullen and McGain) they have no geniuses. :)

G.I.Joe

International Coach
If the flash in the pan youngster shows he can whack 150+ Ks bowlers into the midwicket stands with normal, improvised strokes than complete slogs at 85 yard boundary grounds, I think he will be shoe in for IPL with the 6 yard ridiculous boundaries and roads that pass off for pitches... Gambhir is not Jayasuriya.. He will be fine at 3.
And Warner is not Gilchrist. He hasn't done enough to tamper with the Sehwag-Gambhir combination.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
There are reports that Delhi and Mumbai have agreed to a straight swap with Shikhar Dhawan and Ashish Nehra. If true, the Daredevils need to get a check on the mental status of their management asap.