• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which team will Mendis torment the most

Which will be Mendis bunny team?

• Total voters

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, I'm sure you believe Hauritz > Mendis.
No but he has:

a. hardly played; and

b. when he has, played in conditions tailor-made for him

Let's see how he goes in a year or two when players have worked him out, he doesnt have Murali to rely on and it's in conditions that dont suit

Lostman

State Captain
No but he has:

a. hardly played; and

Let's see how he goes in a year or two when players have worked him out, he doesnt have Murali to rely on and it's in conditions that dont suit
this would easily be his biggest test when Murali retires. Even Jayasuriya looks a decent test bowler when Murali is bowling at the other end.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They didn't though, did they? Dravid didn't have a clue whilst Sachin was still asking for referrals after being caught stone dead or leathering the ball into the close fielder’s hands. Only Sehwag and Gautam looked good against him. Apparently according to Dhoni, the Indian players were able to read/pick him but that didn’t stop Mendis breaking Alec Bedser’s record...
Even Gautim got out to him three times in three matches.

haha...yeah I should have mentioned that I was speaking in terms of if a series is being played in India.
Don't think it would have made a great deal of difference tbh, although surely they'll do better next time to at least some extent due to familiarity.

No but he has:

a. hardly played; and

How ridiculous to suggest that all 25 of his FC games where he averages 15, 38 of his List A games where he averages 10 and 10 of his T20 games where he averages 10 were on pitches tailor-made especially for him. Or his putting Harbhajan, Kumble and even to some extent Murali to shame was down solely to pitches that somehow managed to favour him but none of the other spinners.

shankar

International Debutant
They didn't though, did they? Dravid didn't have a clue whilst Sachin was still asking for referrals after being caught stone dead or leathering the ball into the close fielder’s hands. Only Sehwag and Gautam looked good against him. Apparently according to Dhoni, the Indian players were able to read/pick him but that didn’t stop Mendis breaking Alec Bedser’s record...
Actually Sachin was one of the few batsmen who was actually pretty comfortable against Mendis (except in the final inning of the series where he was hampered by his injury). he scored 57 off the 66 balls he faced against Mendis and got out only once to him. He had a dreadful series against the rest of the SL bowlers however.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Actually Sachin was one of the few batsmen who was actually pretty comfortable against Mendis (except in the final inning of the series where he was hampered by his injury). he scored 57 off the 66 balls he faced against Mendis and got out only once to him. He had a dreadful series against the rest of the SL bowlers however.
Mendis barely got a go at him though because he kept getting out to other bowlers first. 66 balls isn't many.

shankar

International Debutant
Mendis barely got a go at him though because he kept getting out to other bowlers first. 66 balls isn't many.
I agree. But he didn't look in much trouble against him though in the deliveries he did face shown by the fact that he scored at a SR of nearly 90. Played him off the front foot (unilke the other batsmen who got into trouble trying to play him off the backfoot) and picked the googly everytime and swept him for runs.

pup11

International Coach
If i am not wrong, didn't Tendulkar only score 80 odd runs in that whole Sri Lankan series, with 30 something being his best...?

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
Having Sachin Bloody Tendulkar play you well doesn't denigrate your other good bowling performances. I mean, the man's one of the greatest batsmen ever.

shankar

International Debutant
Having Sachin Bloody Tendulkar play you well doesn't denigrate your other good bowling performances. I mean, the man's one of the greatest batsmen ever.
:wacko: Where did I say it did? And I haven't even said that SRT mastered Mendis or anything like that... I just said that in the little he faced off Mendis he was not troubled greatly. Whereas looking at his series average one might get the wrong impression that he was also one of the batsmen who were 'Mendised'.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Either way I suspect India's batsmen's supreme confidence in playing spin could mean they may never ever geat round to working out the Mendis puzzle, and the longer it takes for them to scratch their heads on it the more problematic it will become

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Even Gautim got out to him three times in three matches.

Don't think it would have made a great deal of difference tbh, although surely they'll do better next time to at least some extent due to familiarity.

How ridiculous to suggest that all 25 of his FC games where he averages 15, 38 of his List A games where he averages 10 and 10 of his T20 games where he averages 10 were on pitches tailor-made especially for him. Or his putting Harbhajan, Kumble and even to some extent Murali to shame was down solely to pitches that somehow managed to favour him but none of the other spinners.
How many games has he played in Aus, Eng, SA, and NZ?

Oh that's right - ZERO

How many tests has he played that's not in the spinners paradise of SL or against a minnow?

ZERO

Serious reality check is required for some

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Where's the option to vote for SL as the team he'll torment the most? After he lets the fame and hype go to his head and only teasingly reveal glimpses of the form he displayed in his first handful of tests, leading to a solid decade of tormenting frustration?

Seriously, who is more overhyped at the moment, Mendis or Warner?

Athlai

Not Terrible
Where's the option to vote for SL as the team he'll torment the most? After he lets the fame and hype go to his head and only teasingly reveal glimpses of the form he displayed in his first handful of tests, leading to a solid decade of tormenting frustration?

Seriously, who is more overhyped at the moment, Mendis or Warner?
Well TBF one has 50 ODI wickets and the other has a single T20 innings.