• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to IPL 2009.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
"Need" is different to "want"

Clarke would be earning more than a million bucks per year whilst the other 2 would be on mid to high 6 figures. In other words, unless they've hosed the money up against the wall (and Clarke seems to be making a good fist of it), they dont need the extra cash that the IPL would bring
Possibly true. Or what I said.

Believe it or not, there seem to be some players for whom playing for their country is more important than the IPL
Believe it or not, the the two aren't mutually exclusive :)

brockley

International Captain
No ones' buying anyone from the transfers.
I think they are waiting for the auction,the transfer thing been a flop no one buying.
Kolkarta 13 players they will have to shed 3,most teams have 8 overseas players.
Things may change if pakistan bans its players from playing.

pup11

International Coach
I haven't heard a thing about who Rajasthan might pick up. I reckon they're really strong in the batting but if they do pick someone up they might look for a spinner. Warney might not be able to perform anything like last year, he's basically been sat eating pies since. ;)
I think the Royals are likely to have some major changes in their team this season, likes of Watson, Smith and Tanvir are all likely to miss this season' IPL, so they would have to bring in some new faces for sure this season.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I think the Royals are likely to have some major changes in their team this season, likes of Watson, Smith and Tanvir are all likely to miss this season' IPL, so they would have to bring in some new faces for sure this season.
Well, Watto will be there. And they've got Morne Morkel and Justin Langer neither of whom played last year, as well as Mascarenhas for a lot longer. The international batting is pretty strong. It's the bowling were they're a bit short, if Tanvir isn't there and Watto either isn't bowling or isn't quite into it yet.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Shaun Tait has to be the hottest free agent this season, or has he been snapped up already?

pup11

International Coach
Shaun Tait has to be the hottest free agent this season, or has he been snapped up already?
No he hasn't been acquired by any franchise yet, but i am sure his name would be up for auction, unless he too like Johnson and Clarke decides to give IPL a skip to work on his fitness and international career.

BTW, after watching Warner clear the boundaries at the "G" with ease, one can't help but think that on smaller Indian grounds, he might break all hell loose during the IPL.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bracken being back will improve Bangalor a helluvalot. Having Zaheer, Bracken, Kumble,Praveen and Steyn as your main frontliners is very nice.

Would really like to see them make a play for a couple of explosive Indian batsmen, because Kohli, Goswami and Dravid are locks (Rahul was actually very good in the IPL last season) and after that they have to choose between two of Kallis, Chanders, Taylor, White and Misbah to keep the foreigner numbe runder 4. Which would probably necessitate playing the likes of Chipli, Arunkumar and Jaffer which is pretty piss poor.

EDIT: Have seen them linked with Uthappa now, as a Mumbai fan I'd pay them to take him off our team.

pup11

International Coach
Well, Watto will be there. And they've got Morne Morkel and Justin Langer neither of whom played last year, as well as Mascarenhas for a lot longer. The international batting is pretty strong. It's the bowling were they're a bit short, if Tanvir isn't there and Watto either isn't bowling or isn't quite into it yet.
Yup the Royals have some thinking to do and they would do well to net a few good international batting and bowling talents during the auction or trading period.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
No he hasn't been acquired by any franchise yet, but i am sure his name would be up for auction, unless he too like Johnson and Clarke decides to give IPL a skip to work on his fitness and international career.
I can't see Tait lasting the entire IPL without a significant drop in pace as the tournament wares on and I feel he'd be best utilised if he was rested pretty much every third game. You'd have to say that his price may get quite ridiculously high as Punjab look to compensate for the loss of Lee and Rajasthan for the loss of Watson as well as Mumbai for the loss of Pollock. KKR are looking to sell Akhtar, could we see Akhtar and Tait opening the bowling together in the IPL!?

duffer

Tait brings a lot to the table in limited overs cricket but is he mentally stable enough to justify a large price? After his breakdown and subsequent break from the game I'd be very cautious in offering him big money. Very risk/reward player for mine.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Tait brings a lot to the table in limited overs cricket but is he mentally stable enough to justify a large price? After his breakdown and subsequent break from the game I'd be very cautious in offering him big money. Very risk/reward player for mine.
A single sabbatical to deal with physical and mental fatigue is not a sign of mental instability, imo.

pup11

International Coach
Bracken being back will improve Bangalor a helluvalot. Having Zaheer, Bracken, Kumble,Praveen and Steyn as your main frontliners is very nice.

Would really like to see them make a play for a couple of explosive Indian batsmen, because Kohli, Goswami and Dravid are locks (Rahul was actually very good in the IPL last season) and after that they have to choose between two of Kallis, Chanders, Taylor, White and Misbah to keep the foreigner numbe runder 4. Which would probably necessitate playing the likes of Chipli, Arunkumar and Jaffer which is pretty piss poor.

EDIT: Have seen them linked with Uthappa now, as a Mumbai fan I'd pay them to take him off our team.
I heard that Zaheer is going to traded for Uthappa by the Challengers, which would be a moronic decision on the part of the Bangalore think tank, but anyways i think Bangalore really just need slightly better planning this time around and they would do well, because they certainly have the caliber of players to do the job for them, you mentioned Bracken who is a fantastic bowler, he would be welcome addition for them, but i think they also missed a trick, in the way which they used a guy like Cam White last time around, he is one of the most experienced and dangerous T20 players around in the world, and they would have been better served had they utilised him in a better way.

The Challengers would have to bite the bullet and make some ruthless decision, likes of Kallis, Chanders, Jaffer, Dravid just aren't T20 players, and Dravid is a icon player so they can't get rid of him, but they seriously need to think about the rest of them.

duffer

@ Manee. Maybe not, but it isn't an ideal thing to have on your resume for such a young player and I'd be cautious with offering him big money. Definitely a thing which would lower your stock in most pro sports.

duffer

I heard that Zaheer is going to traded for Uthappa by the Challengers, which would be a moronic decision on the part of the Bangalore think tank, but anyways i think Bangalore really just need slightly better planning this time around and they would do well, because they certainly have the caliber of players to do the job for them, you mentioned Bracken who is a fantastic bowler, he would be welcome addition for them, but i think they also missed a trick, in the way which they used a guy like Cam White last time around, he is one of the most experienced and dangerous T20 players around in the world, and they would have been better served had they utilised him in a better way.

The Challengers would have to bite the bullet and make some ruthless decision, likes of Kallis, Chanders, Jaffer, Dravid just aren't T20 players, and Dravid is a icon player so they can't get rid of him, but they seriously need to think about the rest of them.
Zaheer for Uthappa would be ******** and if it happens Mallya should fire Crowe and whoever else made the decision on the spot. You lose a quality Indian bowler for one of the most braindead and overrated players on the planet. They need good Indian batsmen but not a gy like Uthappa, Kohli and Goswami will be huge for them in the future and these are the types of signings they should be looking to make.

pup11

International Coach
I can't see Tait lasting the entire IPL without a significant drop in pace as the tournament wares on and I feel he'd be best utilised if he was rested pretty much every third game. You'd have to say that his price may get quite ridiculously high as Punjab look to compensate for the loss of Lee and Rajasthan for the loss of Watson as well as Mumbai for the loss of Pollock. KKR are looking to sell Akhtar, could we see Akhtar and Tait opening the bowling together in the IPL!?
Haha, that would be awesome, it would be all or nothing, but as far as your question regarding Tait lasting through the IPL, i don't think that is much of problem, the T20 games are something right up his alley, he would be bowling 4 overs every game and i am sure he would be utilised wisely by his team management, as he showed in the WC (where he maintained pretty decent pace right through), if he starts to string together games, he is a lethal weapon for any captain to have.

EDIT: Lee is targetting the IPL to make his comeback from injury, so he isn't out of the tournament yet.

pup11

International Coach
Zaheer for Uthappa would be ******** and if it happens Mallya should fire Crowe and whoever else made the decision on the spot. You lose a quality Indian bowler for one of the most braindead and overrated players on the planet. They need good Indian batsmen but not a gy like Uthappa, Kohli and Goswami will be huge for them in the future and these are the types of signings they should be looking to make.
If i am not wrong, Crowe has already been fired!!

pup11

International Coach
@ Manee. Maybe not, but it isn't an ideal thing to have on your resume for such a young player and I'd be cautious with offering him big money. Definitely a thing which would lower your stock in most pro sports.
Any IPL scout who watches him would clearly realise, that taking that risk with Tait is well worth it, because if on song, the guy is as good as anyone.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
You guys need to get off Uthappa's case. People do change, you know? He was appointed Karnataka's Ranji captain this season, and he hit 3 centuries, including one on captaincy debut. Besides, the difference between the averages of Dravid and Uthappa in the IPL was just 5 runs or something.

duffer

Yeah his brainless batting cost us at least 2 game soff the top of my head. I'd have no problem with this normally but his ego doesn't match his output. If he has matured since being given a leadership role like you said then that's great but I need to see it with my own eyes before I concede anythig about him.