• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official West Indies in New Zealand***

James

Cricket Web Owner
Serious question now - how can Flynn still make your teams? In 15 ODIs, he's managed a highest score of 35 - just 35! Clearly not good enough, and Broom yesterday has clearly shown enough in just 1 ODI to replace him.

Keep Flynn just for Tests IMO.

Halfpast_Yellow

U19 Vice-Captain
He played a good hand in Christchurch as well. It's silly and undermining the whole selection process to drop a guy averaging over 60 with the bat and who offers a useful bowling option. Broom hasn't done enough and Elliot hasn't failed enough.

Franklin is clearly not in the selectors minds for ODI's either.
If Oram isn't bowling ten then either him or Thompson should be competing for the no.8 spot of clearing the fence/4th change bowler who doesn't bowl out.

Vettori can't hit the ball hard enough and Mills is handy but shouldn't be above 9.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Re: Flynn.

In fairness, in almost half his innings he's batted at 6 or lower. If he's going to play ODIs, he has to bat top 4 surely.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Like I said, Flynn's batting too low. He bats three at N.D because he takes a bit longer than Taylor or McCullum to get in to his innings..but two OD scores of 140 last year for N.D suggests once he's got his eye in, he can up the tempo.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Serious question now - how can Flynn still make your teams? In 15 ODIs, he's managed a highest score of 35 - just 35! Clearly not good enough, and Broom yesterday has clearly shown enough in just 1 ODI to replace him.

Keep Flynn just for Tests IMO.
Reckon he could be a good number 3, but certainly we've found time and time again he's a lousy 5-6

James

Cricket Web Owner
Re: Flynn.

In fairness, in almost half his innings he's batted at 6 or lower. If he's going to play ODIs, he has to bat top 4 surely.
He shouldn't be playing then. There's simply no room for him in the Top 4 and Broom is more well suited to coming in 5 or 6 as he showed yesterday.

Flynn also only averages 26 from 46 List A games. His domain is First-Class cricket, nothing else. Much like McIntosh as far as I'm concerned.

No room for "Good News Sinclair" in there, James :p
He'd be my backup top 4 batsman. Showed more than Flynn has thus far and averaging over 100 in State Shield has to count for something.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I know Andy Moles wants to get him up the Black Caps order too. After all, he was the one who moved Flynn up from six at ND to number three.

Flynn's List A average is deflated by his international ODI record. If you take out his ODI innings, his List A average is most likely reasonable.

Last edited:

James

Cricket Web Owner
I know Andy Moles wants to get him up the Black Caps order too. After all, he was the one who moved Flynn up from six at ND to number three.
Let's be fair. James Marshall was dropped after playing 10 ODIs and averaging 25.00. Flynn after playing 15 ODIs is averaging 14.60 and is still in the team. Makes just no sense to me :wacko:

I agree he's a good young up and coming player for our Test team but I don't really see what people see in him re the ODI team and why we need to re-work our team to fit him in.

Halfpast_Yellow

U19 Vice-Captain
I would go:

Ryder
McCullum
Guptill
Taylor
Broom
Oram
Elliott
Vettori
Mills
Southee
Patel
Yeah that's effectively where I see the team, but unless Patel becomes an allrounder he should be dropped for Franklin/Thompson who would bat eight with the rest of the bowlers shuffling down.

How, Guptill, Styris, maybe even Sinclair are all above Flynn at the moment for batting at 3/4.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He'd be my backup top 4 batsman. Showed more than Flynn has thus far and averaging over 100 in State Shield has to count for something.
For most players, maybe. For 10 years, however, Sinclair's domestic performances have been wholly unrepresentative of his returns at international level. The guy just doesn't have it. He is the Kiwi Hick/Ramprakash.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Yeah that's effectively where I see the team, but unless Patel becomes an allrounder he should be dropped for Franklin/Thompson who would bat eight with the rest of the bowlers shuffling down.
Wouldn't argue with you there, but I'd go down the Thompson route rather than Franklin.

Are people like Bruce Martin/Nathan McCullum knocking hard to take Patel's place as second spinner?

For most players, maybe. For 10 years, however, Sinclair's domestic performances have been wholly unrepresentative of his returns at international level. The guy just doesn't have it. He is the Kiwi Hick/Ramprakash.
I think he needs an extended run in the team to prove himself again, and I believe he'd prove you wrong. He's had some excellent innings at international level, with a lot of failures yes, but we're going back a few years now, and he has a lot more experience and knowledge of the game now.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree he's a good young up and coming player for our Test team but I don't really see what people see in him re the ODI team and why we need to re-work our team to fit him in.
That's a fair point. But I don't think his career is getting any justice by batting at 5 or 6...that's clearly not the right position for him in ODI's. He needs to be given a few at #3, and if that fails then i'd have no problem seeing him drop out.

James

Cricket Web Owner
That's a fair point. But I don't think his career is getting any justice by batting at 5 or 6...that's clearly not the right position for him in ODI's. He needs to be given a few at #3, and if that fails then i'd have no problem seeing him drop out.
I agree with you, but who would you drop out of the top 3 or 4?

You couldn't drop any of Ryder, McCullum, Guptill or Taylor now so it just doesn't work trying to incorporate Flynn.

Halfpast_Yellow

U19 Vice-Captain
Tests simply /= ODIs. You wouldn't open with McCullum and Ryder in tests, you wouldn't play O'Brien and Martin in ODIs.

Flynn seems to be a test no.3 prospect but shouldn't be near the ODI team, just as the reverse holds true for Elliot

James

Cricket Web Owner
Tests simply /= ODIs. You wouldn't open with McCullum and Ryder in tests, you wouldn't play O'Brien and Martin in ODIs.

Flynn seems to be a test no.3 prospect but shouldn't be near the ODI team, just as the reverse holds true for Elliot
That sums up perfectly what I've been trying to say with all these posts of mine.

Good stuff mate :laugh:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Are people like Bruce Martin/Nathan McCullum knocking hard to take Patel's place as second spinner?
As far as I'm aware Patel's spot in the NZ squad is pretty secure. Vettori and Patel train together and train their bowling in such a way that it complements each other, and unless something extraordinary happens on the domestic front (Mendis-esque season stats) then no one is going to displace Jeets.

Plus Jeets is the man. :cool: