• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official West Indies in New Zealand***

Flem274*

123/5
Edwards I suspect will always be a hot or cold player, problem is in an attack that has four of them they can all become liabilities. If Taylor ever finds consistency and you swap Powell for an accurate seamer (even one of Sammy2s favourite medium pacers, I bet he doesn't mind Baker the little git) when you get your hands on one (or if you have one already) and Edwards will become good fun to have in the team. Miller looks a good spinner too, better than the guy you brought last time.

WI have half a team (Gayle, Sarwan, Chanderpaul, Bravo, Taylor, Edwards, maybe now Miller, Miller) and they're all good players. Problem is you have Marshall, Pollard, Powell, Findlay etc and the likes of Miller, Taylor, Edwards and even Gayle are just so hot and cold.

WI (and NZ) will get better, the potential is so obviously there, but both have a long way to go.

Btw, wrt all the bowling whinging, I think it almost needs to be spelled out that Fast medium NZers can bowl very well, WI are not always pie chuckers, Guptill is not doomed to be **** and both teams are capable of improving a lot more. Oh, and another :lamo: for Sammy.

On a sidenote, kinda unsurprising the word potential and all the ifs are being chucked around when neither teams supporters really want to admit they're in the doodoo atm.

I actualy think WI are a better side they get credit for and we aren't as good as before in ODIs ftr. I think many of our current top players (O'Brien, Flynn, Ryder, Orams batting, Franklin) are more suited to tests, so I'll be watching our respective rankings with interest.

Halfpast_Yellow

U19 Vice-Captain
Hmm, if Oram can't bowl a full ten, which I assumed he could, then we should play a Franklin/Thompson type left arm bowler/pinch hitter at no.8

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Miller looks a good spinner too, better than the guy you brought last time.
That guy from last time is Rawl Lewis, and that's an understatement. Lewis was improved the time he'd previously played for West Indies, but that really wasn't a large effort.
On a sidenote, kinda unsurprising the word potential and all the ifs are being chucked around when neither teams supporters really want to admit they're in the doodoo atm.
I think it's pretty obvious that WI are poor. They've been worse before 2007-08 though.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Edwards I suspect will always be a hot or cold player, problem is in an attack that has four of them they can all become liabilities. If Taylor ever finds consistency and you swap Powell for an accurate seamer (even one of Sammy2s favourite medium pacers, I bet he doesn't mind Baker the little git) when you get your hands on one (or if you have one already) and Edwards will become good fun to have in the team. Miller looks a good spinner too, better than the guy you brought last time.

WI have half a team (Gayle, Sarwan, Chanderpaul, Bravo, Taylor, Edwards, maybe now Miller, Miller) and they're all good players. Problem is you have Marshall, Pollard, Powell, Findlay etc and the likes of Miller, Taylor, Edwards and even Gayle are just so hot and cold.

WI (and NZ) will get better, the potential is so obviously there, but both have a long way to go.

Btw, wrt all the bowling whinging, I think it almost needs to be spelled out that Fast medium NZers can bowl very well, WI are not always pie chuckers, Guptill is not doomed to be **** and both teams are capable of improving a lot more. Oh, and another :lamo: for Sammy.

I actualy think WI are a better side they get credit for and we aren't as good as before in ODIs ftr. I think many of our current top players (O'Brien, Flynn, Ryder, Orams batting, Franklin) are more suited to tests, so I'll be watching our respective rankings with interest.
Good fair post there, D.Sammy (the cricket player) could do a job if he is brought in for the Windies, did good in Australia but for some reason wasn't taken to this series ahead of absolute trife like Findley and Brown. Like I said before Miller is a decent spinner, rather see Mohammed there but anyone is better than Benn.

Both teams have the potential to catch up with the likes of Pakistan, and could make test cricket extremely exciting if there is no noticable weak teams, however this is a couple years away for both teams. In terms of NZ I think that you're just missing a quality batsmen, Taylor is extremely good and could develop in to that but right now he isn't there and maybe a good swinging quickie to support O Brian, Southee could probobly develop in to this but again right now he isn't there. In terms of the Windies we need a consistent line up and a 3rd fast bowler as well as a settled Marshall or maybe even Devon Smith to come in ahead of Marshall right now, btw when Bravo comes in Chatergoon will most likely be dropped. Also, we need many a fielding practise.

As far as the last OD game goes, really looking forward to it, hopefully weather wont disturb things and should be a game with both teams wanting to go away from the series with an edge on the other.

HMas

U19 12th Man
NZ fans, will Oram be fit for ODIs in Aus? If not then will he be available for India series.

NZ team for ODIs against India

Guptil
Ryder
Flynn
Taylor
Styris
McCullum
Broom
Oram
Vettori
Southee
Mills

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
sorry didn't mean Brown meant Baugh, and Sammy could replace Baugh, no need to bring a second keeper when he is that bad.
Baugh is indeed terrible. The fact that he was picked shows how desperate West Indies cricket is. They picked a wicketkeeper-batsman who can't catch or bat to replace one who can't bat, but can often catch.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Baugh is indeed terrible. The fact that he was picked shows how desperate West Indies cricket is. They picked a wicketkeeper-batsman who can't catch or bat to replace one who can't bat, but can often catch.
You're right of course but it's dissapointing to see whats happening with Ramdin, always rated his keeping ability as test class, but he has been lacking a hell of a lot of confidence and its showing through both his keeping and batting. BTW dont think for a moment I am suggesting Brown come in, I have a lot more scence than the WI selectors.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
utterly spineless little weasel seems slightly OTT, you don't really know the guy, just mad at him for expressing views that don't correspond with your kiwi views .
No, that's not why I'm mad at him. Nice try though. He is, by all appearances, weaseling out of our avatar bet. He said the Windies would clean sweep the Black Caps - which didn't happen. I've left posts on at least two threads reminding him of his requirements but, whaddaya know? Still nothing.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
No, that's not why I'm mad at him. Nice try though. He is, by all appearances, weaseling out of our avatar bet. He said the Windies would clean sweep the Black Caps - which didn't happen. I've left posts on at least two threads reminding him of his requirements but, whaddaya know? Still nothing.
maybe you should tell him how to change an avatar, maybe he isn't aware of it, took me a while to find out...

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
maybe you should tell him how to change an avatar, maybe he isn't aware of it, took me a while to find out...
Haha, **** off. He knows what an avatar is - or he wouldn't have made the bet - and he hasn't even acknowledged my posts reminding him of the bet, so I don't think THAT'S the issue.

JBH001

International Regular
Agree with that. Flynn has good stats at one day domestic level with a strike rate of 90 or so but in internationals he just hasn't even gotten started. Feel sorry for the guy. Hope he doesn't get pigeon holed just as a test player because I don't think he is. I agree that he seems like he needs to bat further up to give him time to bat through the innings, rather than come in and try and play a short hit from the outset kinda innings.

The problem with that is Ryder, McCullum, Guptill, Flynn, and Taylor are all vying for top 4 spots. One of them has to drop down.

TBH I don't know who should do it.

Broom looked good at hitting near the end. Oram would come in for Elliot imo
Yeah, I assumed Oram as still being injured. If he is not, then Elliott drops out, Broom drops one, and Oram slots in at 6, imo.

Only issue is if McCullum agrees to drop down to the middle order. From the looks of it thats not going to happen, and Flynn will remain wasted at 5.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Yeah, I assumed Oram as still being injured. If he is not, then Elliott drops out, Broom drops one, and Oram slots in at 6, imo.

Only issue is if McCullum agrees to drop down to the middle order. From the looks of it thats not going to happen, and Flynn will remain wasted at 5.
Surely McCullum to an extent will be wasted at 5, he is more than just a guy who hits, he can play a dogged innings when needed, dont see why you'd waste your second best batsmen at 5.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd like to see this lineup for Australia.

Ryder
Guptill
Flynn
Taylor
McCullum
Broom
Oram
Vettori
Mills
Southee
Patel

Daniel Flynn is clearly a guy who needs to see himself in, so he needs to come in at three and perhaps play an anchor role if there's an early wicket...as he's got the aggression of Taylor and McCullum to come anyway.

Aside from experience, this side really is only missing a genuine quick.

Halfpast_Yellow

U19 Vice-Captain
Broom hasn't done enough to necessitate dropping the incumbents. Assuming no injury,

Ryder
McCullum
Guptill
Styris
Taylor
Elliot
Oram
Franklin
Mills
Vettori
Southee

or

Ryder
Guptill
Styris
Taylor
Oram
Elliot
McCullum
Franklin
Mills
Vettori
Southee

is the better side. Flynn covers 3-4 for injury, Broom covers 5-7, Thompson covers the quicks, Patel covers Vettori.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I suppose Elliott is a tricky one as he hasn't really let the side down in ODI's. He played several good hands in England, but I still fail to be convinced by him.

Franklin is clearly not in the selectors minds for ODI's either.