• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's ODI squad

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'm very pleased for Ryan Harris, hope he makes the XI, he'll be a shoe-in for the Gabba I would imagine.

So our two best performers over the summer have been rested from the Twenty20 - Clarke and Johnson, that's probably a good move IMO.

I'm very happy with both squads.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Expecting Hauritz and one of Harris or Hilfenhaus to miss out in the first T20 game.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
agreed.

Hughes is also a must.

If he's not in pen at the top of the order SURELY he's at least pencilled in???

Marsh over Hughes (as per most posters) is madness...
Hughes hasn't done much in OD cricket though, so it's quite the opposite at this stage. Picking Hughes over Marsh for the ODIs would have been madness.

oldmancraigy

U19 12th Man
Hughes hasn't done much in OD cricket though, so it's quite the opposite at this stage. Picking Hughes over Marsh for the ODIs would have been madness.
Hughes has scored 300 runs in the domestic format, including 3 half centuries. That's after a slow start.

Sean Marsh has scored 151 runs, including one half century - has a worse average and a worse strike rate.

You bring in their domestic T20 form, Marsh has scored 43 runs in 3 games, Hughes 145 in 3 games. And Hughes' average is 5 times greater than Marsh's in that format of the game (unsurprisingly...)

The kid has done enough in his short career so far to show that he is at least someone worth earmarking for the future. We have a problem at the top of the order. We have a 20 year old who already averages 52 in first class cricket (Sean Marsh is at 34 in his "illustrious" career - almost 100 innings...). We have a 20 year old who can field in the slips. We have a 20 year old who is in outstanding form in all facets of the game.

Let's pick Sean Marsh???

No. I think not.

Blood Hughes against the international competition in the limited overs game and the T20 format, and then send him on the tour to South Africa, at worst he can back up Jacques and Katich, at best he can start his international career young - and why not? He most certainly has the runs on the board.

oldmancraigy

U19 12th Man
I didn't see the squads....

Cannot BELIEVE that they picked the WAY out of form Sean Marsh ahead of Hughes. Shocker.

GOOD to see D Hussey in the squad though!!

They had nothing to lose and everything to gain by putting Hughes in.. hopefully they take him on either the SA tour, or the Ashes tour. (I'll bet they take Hayden, Jacques and Katich...)

oldmancraigy

U19 12th Man
I didn't see the squads....

Cannot BELIEVE that they picked the WAY out of form Sean Marsh ahead of Hughes. Shocker.

GOOD to see D Hussey in the squad though!!

They had nothing to lose and everything to gain by putting Hughes in.. hopefully they take him on either the SA tour, or the Ashes tour. (I'll bet they take Hayden, Jacques and Katich...)
I've got to quote myself and calm down!

All the best Sean Marsh - hope he tonks the Saffies around a LOT!!!!!

howardj

International Coach
Hughes has scored 300 runs in the domestic format, including 3 half centuries. That's after a slow start.

Sean Marsh has scored 151 runs, including one half century - has a worse average and a worse strike rate.

You bring in their domestic T20 form, Marsh has scored 43 runs in 3 games, Hughes 145 in 3 games. And Hughes' average is 5 times greater than Marsh's in that format of the game (unsurprisingly...)

The kid has done enough in his short career so far to show that he is at least someone worth earmarking for the future. We have a problem at the top of the order. We have a 20 year old who already averages 52 in first class cricket (Sean Marsh is at 34 in his "illustrious" career - almost 100 innings...). We have a 20 year old who can field in the slips. We have a 20 year old who is in outstanding form in all facets of the game.

Let's pick Sean Marsh???

No. I think not.

Blood Hughes against the international competition in the limited overs game and the T20 format, and then send him on the tour to South Africa, at worst he can back up Jacques and Katich, at best he can start his international career young - and why not? He most certainly has the runs on the board.
Spot on.

Sean Marsh has had an absolute saloon passage into the Australian team. He's hardly fit to shine Hughes's shoes.

Johnners

Let's pick Sean Marsh???

No. I think not.

LOL, nice way of skewing stats in your favour. Quoting Hughes' career OD stats, yet only using what Marsh has done this season.

Going on this season alone, Hughes has scored 240 @ 30, which is hardly head and shoulders above Marsh, especially considering he's played 3 more matches than him. Marsh might not be in the best of form this season, but he's the incumbent ODI opener, and has done little wrong in his 8 matches for Australia (300 odd runs @ around 45 IIRC).

I don't care what Hughes has done in the First Class arena, it's a completely different format of the game so it's pointless using his FC record to make a case for selecting him in a limited overs match.

FTR, I most certainly think Hughes is one for the future, but you can hardly build a case for his inclusion in the ODI team when he's really not doing anything spectacular in the Domestic OD arena. Especially when considering the incumbent ODI opener (Marsh) has done nothing wrong in his (albeit short) international career to date.

Spot on.

Sean Marsh has had an absolute saloon passage into the Australian team. He's hardly fit to shine Hughes's shoes.
LOL, you're a joke.

Corbin

School Boy/Girl Captain
\_/ @ 20/20's.

From the ODI's my side would be this:

1 J. Hopes
2 S. Marsh
3 R. Ponting
4 M. Clarke
5 M. Hussey
6 D. Hussey
7 B. Haddin
8 N. Hauritz
9 N. Bracken
10 S. Tait
11 B. Hilfenhaus

12. C. White/ P. Siddle

I think you'll find that will be the side they go with till Johnson comes back with David Hussey and Clarke to bowl your 6th and 7th options if needed.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
You're tough.

Probably unemployed too.
What? Dumbest reply. Maybe you'll call him fat soon too, hey? Absolutely irrelevant.

Deadset, how old are you? Eight? Warner's played like three good knocks in his career, you mentioned Hilfy, then he's not in your side, you talk about not picking Marsh because he's out of form and you pick Pomersbach, Mussey at six is interesting to say the least, Clarke's efforts at three are worse than when he opens and you want to rest half the team for a crucial ODI series. Stop posting, probably forever.
Post of the year.

oldmancraigy

U19 12th Man
LOL, nice way of skewing stats in your favour. Quoting Hughes' career OD stats, yet only using what Marsh has done this season.
LOOOOOOOL. what??

Read the post again Einstock? It's stats from THIS SEASON
(ok - the thing I got wrong was the 300 runs - it's 240 this season, I just couldn't read - but it's still 3 half centuries vs 1)
I'll put it right here again for you (it's in italics)

That's THIS SEASON MATE.

I don't care what Hughes has done in the First Class arena, it's a completely different format of the game so it's pointless using his FC record to make a case for selecting him in a limited overs match.
I was just pointing out his first class record because it shows that he is in dazzling form. And also pointing it out because it shows that here's a young batsman (20) who can build big innings. Did you know that in his 16 first class matches he's already scored as many centuries as Marsh has in 51?? Marsh's 34 first class average suggests that he's not a top line player - sure he had a good T20 tournament in India, but that was a while back now...

FTR, I most certainly think Hughes is one for the future, but you can hardly build a case for his inclusion in the ODI team when he's really not doing anything spectacular in the Domestic OD arena. Especially when considering the incumbent ODI opener (Marsh) has done nothing wrong in his (albeit short) international career to date.
So you're telling me that if Hughes' had been 1 year older (ie, been doing everything that he's done 1 year earlier) then they still would have picked Marsh?

Sure he's the incumbent, but Hauritz is also the incumbent test spinner. McDonald the incumbent test no 6. Hayden the incumbent test opener. The list goes on - if someone isn't in form what are they getting picked for? It cost us the test series against the Saffies - why jeapordize the ODI series too?

Like I said earlier, I hope Marsh does really well in the ODI series - but it'd be a complete about face in his year to date form if that were to happen.

FTR only 3 players have gone past 50 more times than Hughes in the domestic one day arena this season. So if he's "not shown anything" in that format, then pray tell, who has????
(the answer is D Marsh, Klinger and Dighton - none of whom were picked either).

What's the point in calling someone else a joke when they really have a pretty solid argument?

Give some facts to show why it's "such a joke" that someone should suggest Hughes ahead of Marsh?

Johnners

You're tough.

Probably unemployed too.
Thanks for confirming my original thoughts.

Blah blah blah
You were using what Hughes has done in his career (300 odd runs) compared to what Marsh has done this season, hardly a fair comparison (note, I'm specifically talking about ODs, NOT T20). What Hughes has done this season, 240 runs @ 30, in 9 matches, is most certainly not mind blowing, and is most certainly not a solid case for International selection. As I said, Marsh isn't in the best touch either, but he is the incumbent opener, and there is no other opening options slamming on the ODI selection door so it makes perfect sense to pick him. Especially when he hasn't done anything wrong in his international career to date.

I've no doubt that Hughes is a better player in the longer format of the game than Marsh, but it's almost completely irrelevant when building a case for OD selection. See Michael Slaters career as an example. Slats was a fantastic dasher at the top of the order in test match cricket, but he was basically a failure at the top of the order in ODIs. Simply put, they are 2 different forms of the game and form in one, does NOT mean form in the other, and neither should it be used when trying to build a case for selection.

Also, don't put words in my mouth, at no stage did I say it was "such a joke" to suggest Hughes ahead of Marsh.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Official ODI squad
R. Ponting (c): TAS, 34
M. Clarke (vc): NSW, 27
B. Haddin: NSW, 31
J. Hopes: QLD, 30
N. Bracken: NSW, 31
S. Marsh: WA, 25
M. Hussey: WA, 33
D. Hussey: VIC, 31
N. Hauritz: NSW, 27
B. Hilfenhaus: TAS, 25
C. White: VIC, 25
S. Tait: SA, 25
P. Siddle: VIC, 24
Exactly what pretty much everyone expected, with the exception of Johnson being rested. Not what I would have picked, but a fair enough team.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The argument that Hughes has done more than Marsh this season in OD cricket is a completely irrelevant, as Marsh was merely retained based on what he'd done in ODIs; he hasn't actually been picked out of the domestic competition. Hughes's performances in one day cricket so far don't even come close to demanding selection - he's barely played any games so it's small sample size and he's been average at best in them anyway. Anyone who has actually bothered to watch him play one day cricket this season instead of just cracking a fat over the "next big thing" will confirm that he's hardly even close to ODI class at the moment.

I disagree strongly with selecting him in the Test team, but at least there's a valid argument for it. Selecting him in the ODI team makes very little sense at all.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
If Clarke, Jaques, Katich and Haddin all came back for NSW. There a good chance Hughes would be dropped for NSW. If he can't make a full strength NSW, why is he even been considered for the Australian team.

Can't wait to have Katich back.

luffy

International Captain
My Twenty 20 team:

1. Hopes
2. Warner
3. Ponting
4. M Hussey
5. D Hussey
6. White
7. B Haddin
8. Hauritz