• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa In Australia

inbox24

International Debutant
Just heard on the Sunrise news that Warner has been included in the Twenty20 squad and Johnson and Clarke have been rested. Hayden not included, does that mean he's rested or dropped. Anyone confirm?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Just heard on the Sunrise news that Warner has been included in the Twenty20 squad and Johnson and Clarke have been rested. Hayden not included, does that mean he's rested or dropped. Anyone confirm?
Might as well post it in here aswell.

The KFC Twenty20 squad is:
R. Ponting (c): TAS, 34
M. Hussey (vc): WA, 33
D. Hussey: VIC, 31
B. Hilfenhaus: TAS, 25
J. Hopes: QLD, 30
N. Bracken: NSW, 31
B. Haddin: NSW, 31
S. Marsh: WA, 25
S. Tait: SA, 25
D. Warner: NSW, 22
R. Harris: QLD, 29
C. White: VIC, 25
N. Hauritz: NSW, 27

The Commonwealth Bank Series squad is:
R. Ponting (c): TAS, 34
M. Clarke (vc): NSW, 27
B. Haddin: NSW, 31
J. Hopes: QLD, 30
N. Bracken: NSW, 31
S. Marsh: WA, 25
M. Hussey: WA, 33
D. Hussey: VIC, 31
N. Hauritz: NSW, 27
B. Hilfenhaus: TAS, 25
C. White: VIC, 25
S. Tait: SA, 25
P. Siddle: VIC, 24

howardj

International Coach
I wouldn't say he is a better option that Symonds at all. He basically the opposite of what Symo is, which obviously is a better bowler & batting that is decent looking. So his overall package as an "all-rounder" isn't up to scratch.

Symonds should still be in the 1st test XI in SA, on the precedence that his counter-attacking ability at number 6 can be effective along with sharing some spin bowling overs with Clarke. In a team of:

Katich
Hayden/Jaques
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Symonds
Haddin
Noffke
Johnson
Siddle
Clark
Symonds should be nowhere near the Test XI unless he turns in some stellar performances for Qld in the Weet Bix Cup prior to the SA tour. Anyway, I really think it's time to move past Lee, Symonds and Hayden.

SA Test XI

Jaques
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Klinger
Haddin
Johnson
McGain
Clark
Siddle

Reserves on tour: Bollinger, Hauritz, Hughes

Boudica

Cricket Spectator
It was a great test series, even though SA weren't able to win or draw the match at the end, it was great because the team and Graeme Smith in particular showed some real fighting spirit. I suspect most SA fans are really satisfied with the way the series turned out, even though SA lost the last match. In the end it was some great test cricket all around.

oldmancraigy

U19 12th Man
Symonds should be nowhere near the Test XI unless he turns in some stellar performances for Qld in the Weet Bix Cup prior to the SA tour. Anyway, I really think it's time to move past Lee, Symonds and Hayden.

SA Test XI

Jaques
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Klinger
Haddin
Johnson
McGain
Clark
Siddle

Reserves on tour: Bollinger, Hauritz, Hughes
That's a good squad - and picking players in form.

I think Ronny McDonny will almost certainly tour after his 3 wickets at Sydney?
Big chance for Ryan Harris at the top level in the ODIs to show that he can swing the bat against the top opposition - he could be a smokey for the 'all-rounder' position the selectors seem to desire.

I wouldn't take Hauritz though - if McGain is fit, just take North as the backup spin option. 4 quicks and North would be a decent attack on some of the SAf pitches.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
You don't deserve to win IMO.

Best 3 runs ever quite comfortably.

GC Smith b Johnson 3 (17b 0x4 0x6) SR: 17.64
I doubt it, personally. Epic to watch and brave, no doubt, but people have batted with worse injuries before. Knee-jerk.

Just booked tickets for the Twenty20. Going for the crowd really, should be massive. 84,000 last year.
84k until Rogue Traders played, dropped to 14 people iirc.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Smith's injury altered the entire match and as it came sooooo close in the end the win wasn't entirely deserved. If you consider the Australian XI beating the South African XI (-I).
I doubt it, personally. Epic to watch and brave, no doubt, but people have batted with worse injuries before. Knee-jerk.
Probably worse injuries have been out there but I can't recall any to score 3 and out in particular.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Smith's injury altered the entire match and as it came sooooo close in the end the win wasn't entirely deserved. If you consider the Australian XI beating the South African XI (-I).

Probably worse injuries have been out there but I can't recall any to score 3 and out in particular.
Rick McCosker springs to mind. Playing with your jaw wired shut can't but all that much fun.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Rick McCosker springs to mind. Playing with your jaw wired shut can't but all that much fun.
Wouldn't be much fun at all, but wouldn't a broken jaw be slightly easier to play cricket with than a broken hand?

Honest question.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
But surely too much medication would have affected his ability to play the ball?
Haha I doubt it, the effects of mind-numbing pain >>>>>>>> the effects of reasonably strong pain medication.

In my experience anyway.

I'm not trying to downplay Smith's efforts, I stood to applaud the man in my lounge room, I'm just saying that the stuff in the media and from some people here saying it was the bravest innings ever and stuff just isn't right. Didn't Holding or Marshall bat with a broken arm? In the days of **** all padding? That takes more balls then taking an injection to the hand and putting on 14 layers of padding IMO.

Joe Ninety

School Boy/Girl Captain
McCosker went out with a broken jaw in the days before helmets. Now thats what I call cojones!
Smith batting added a nice bit of drama through the day, will he or won't he, but has been hyped up a little too much. How many wicketkeepers must have and still do bat with breaks?

Athlai

Not Terrible
Haha I doubt it, the effects of mind-numbing pain >>>>>>>> the effects of reasonably strong pain medication.

In my experience anyway.

I'm not trying to downplay Smith's efforts, I stood to applaud the man in my lounge room, I'm just saying that the stuff in the media and from some people here saying it was the bravest innings ever and stuff just isn't right. Didn't Holding or Marshall bat with a broken arm? In the days of **** all padding? That takes more balls then taking an injection to the hand and putting on 14 layers of padding IMO.
Don't think it was the bravest innings ever at all, just very very difficult 5th day conditions against an Australian team DESPERATE to win.

Briony

International Debutant
Probably not the bravest innings ever but he did bat without painkillers. He had a broken hand and the opposite arm was pretty painful and dodgy as well. The added drama was a pitch full of cracks which was responsible for the break in the first place. Ironically the delivery which got him spat out of one of those cracks and jagged back into the stumps. A fit Smith couldn't have kept it out.