• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa In Australia

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Aye, made winning the toss a tad too much of an advantage for my liking too. Would have been even more severe if it weren't for the overcast conditions on day one.
Yeah, a pitch that starts at its best for batting and just gets progressive worse is never a good one. Luckily, as you said, the atmospheric conditions on Day 1 gave the team bowling first some first innings advantage or it really would have been unfair. The Melbourne and Perth wickets may have been pretty flat but they both produced results and didn't give either team an unfair advantage as they stayed pretty consistent throughout.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Agree, I honestly reckon it'd be a 3-0 scoreline had SA won the toss in this pitch
Yeah, agreed, but I thought Australia were marginally the better team in the Test, even allowing for the disadvantage South Africa had batting second, so the right result was achieved.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, a pitch that starts at its best for batting and just gets progressive worse is never a good one. Luckily, as you said, the atmospheric conditions on Day 1 gave the team bowling first some first innings advantage or it really would have been unfair. The Melbourne and Perth wickets may have been pretty flat but they both produced results and didn't give either team an unfair advantage as they stayed pretty consistent throughout.
You've just described virtually every pitch in India and SL

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
IMO Sydney was best for batting on day two. Admittedly it was starting to play up with the cracks in the last session on the second day, but the first day was mildly tricky for batting because of the overhead conditions. Not related to the pitch really, but it would have been a much better toss to win if the test started one day later, and if Clarke had got out late on the first evening and Australia were all out in the first hour or so the next morning, South Africa would probably have had the best of the conditions overall. It's the fact that Australia added almost 200 extra runs on the second day when batting conditions were perfect that eventually decided the match.

There's a lot of things that go into making conditions favourable for batting or otherwise, after all. If there had been more rain around as forecast, the pitch wouldn't have cracked up as much, and there would have been more help for seamers in the first half of the test. Chances are the reason it did crack up iin the end is because they were expecting a bit more of the sort of conditions we saw on day one.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Despite Smith's courage in batting today, has there been any question that it wasn't the smartest move in the circumstances? It struck me that to risk aggravating the injury and making it less likely for him to start the return series may not have been the wisest move, especially in a dead rubber. Or am I being unfair?

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Despite Smith's courage in batting today, has there been any question that it wasn't the smartest move in the circumstances? It struck me that to risk aggravating the injury and making it less likely for him to start the return series may not have been the wisest move, especially in a dead rubber. Or am I being unfair?
You're being sensible, but there's a heroism in doing the non-sensible thing on occasion. It was amazing to watch - an archetype of the entire reason we have sport. Let's all be sensible and risk-adverse when we're dealing with our financial planning, or university applications, or deciding whether to get that weird lump on your foot checked. Sports is the venue where you can occasionally forget all about common sense and just enjoy and be in awe of someone trying to do something ridiculous to help his team.

irfan

State Captain
You're being sensible, but there's a heroism in doing the non-sensible thing on occasion. It was amazing to watch - an archetype of the entire reason we have sport. Let's all be sensible and risk-adverse when we're dealing with our financial planning, or university applications, or deciding whether to get that weird lump on your foot checked. Sports is the venue where you can occasionally forget all about common sense and just enjoy and be in awe of someone trying to do something ridiculous to help his team.
Well said. Top post mate

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I'm as awestruck at his courage as the next man. Perhaps I'm a bit more detatched being neither Aus or SAer, but I absolutely respect his bravery and what he was trying to achieve. Perhaps I'm simply picking the wrong day to raise this, tbf. But if subsequent medical opinion does suggest that he's prolonged his absence by a month or two because of today's effort and SA lose the return series with minimal contribution from his replacement, then perhaps people will feel differently. Maybe this is just the wrong time to say it.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, and I'm not saying that you're being a Scrooge about it either. I'm just saying that ultimately, when you look at why people are interested in sports, and what Smith will be proud of and remembered for once his career is over, he'd have taken missing the next month anytime if it had meant helping SA not lose today. Sadly it didn't quite come off, and hence he personally might have reservations, but I'd wager that no SA fans would.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
If he'd saved South Africa the test, it would have been worth it even if it resulted in a longer layoff. If he'd come out with SA 9 down before tea, it would have been stupid. Plus I'm sure there's a level of self-interest in it too. He would have been the hero of the side if he'd saved the match, and that'd probably be worth the personal risk in his own mind.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Hmmm.. the dead rubber syndrome.. The best "lead by example" captain around in world cricket, the guy who will play with all kinds of injuries and who is at his best when under the severest cricketing pressure... Good bowlers, talented batsmen and a team that looks up to the captain.. Surely the RSA are becoming the new Australia.. :)

And it is kinda funny to see how some Aussies seem to pleased about this victory.. No offence, but back during the McGrath-Warney days, I never thought I will see Aussies arguing WHY a victory over a 10 man side when they had the better of the pitch and that too with just 10 balls left was a good one... :)

Maybe you guys understand how we have been all these years now.. :)

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Hmmm.. the dead rubber syndrome.. The best "lead by example" captain around in world cricket, the guy who will play with all kinds of injuries and who is at his best when under the severest cricketing pressure... Good bowlers, talented batsmen and a team that looks up to the captain.. Surely the RSA are becoming the new Australia.. :)
And it is kinda funny to see how some Aussies seem to pleased about this victory.. No offence, but back during the McGrath-Warney days, I never thought I will see Aussies arguing WHY a victory over a 10 man side when they had the better of the pitch and that too with just 10 balls left was a good one... :)
Because half the team was new/injured or out of form. So to win with all that against us was an achievement. If Australia keeps on the same groove that happened in this last test then the dynasty will continue. And if you think S.Africa weren't trying to win then I think you should talk to Graeme Smith.

I think, if we play as we did here, we will win the series in S.Africa. Because, to be honest, with all that was written and against us, the series was actually much closer than it appears - it could have gone the other way. Exciting times for Australians. There could be new all-time greats right now in this team.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Also like to add, that having Bollinger, Siddle and Macdonald all so new and competing was really nice. There was this really noticable competition and understanding. I am sure when Bollinger was watching Siddle or the others he was thinking to himself, "this is not beyond me, I can do it if they can" even when he wasn't taking wickets. Whereas in the past maybe one of them would debut at a time and they'd be looking on to Warne and McGrath dismantling the opposition and possibly thinking themselves as less than they are.

pasag

RTDAS

What's your point? Anyways, I don't buy the dead rubber syndrome, it's rubbish.

a) SA were playing for a number 1 ranking which means a lot to them
b) They were playing for a clean sweep which would be an all time great achievement

At the end of the day, it took two miracle comebacks for them to win the first two Tests and that didn't happen in the third, it has nothing to do with being a dead rubber, more like there's only so many times you can break history and play out of your skin.

Also 'And it is kinda funny to see how some Aussies seem to pleased about this victory' is a strange comment. Why wouldn't we be happy about the victory? Obviously it's a pity the series didn't go our way, but a tight and thrilling Test win against a very good side is a Test win and it's cause for enjoyment.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member

I think this kind of schadenfreude at Australia not being as good as we once was is based on the mistaken idea that most Australian fans like cricket and the Australian team because in recent times we have always won. That is not the case. Most fans like cricket because it is an absorbing sport, and like barracking for Australia because we generally play attractive, attacking cricket at a very high standard. When people are seeing that, they're happy. There's also an element of national pride, and it shouldn't be surprising that this isn't generally affected by whether we win or not.

Aussie fans generally enjoy it when another team matches the Aussie's standards - the 05 Ashes is probably the most popular test series in Australia since the Worrell-Benaud series at the start of the 60s, despite Oz losing.

Why wouldn't we be pleased to have won a test against such good opponents, even if there was some luck for us. We have the least experienced team we've had in ages, and it was good to see them come good after some recent disappointments. I don't think anyone is forgetting we lost the series, or that we're not the team we were 24 months ago.

Bees

U19 12th Man
Here's my squad for the return series.

Graeme Smith not yet fully fit, therefore:

AB
Amla
Pietersen
Kallis
Duminy
Prince (c)
Boucher
Morkel
Harris
Steyn
Ntini

*fingers crossed*

Steulen

International Regular
I think this kind of schadenfreude at Australia not being as good as we once was is based on the mistaken idea that most Australian fans like cricket and the Australian team because in recent times we have always won. That is not the case. Most fans like cricket because it is an absorbing sport, and like barracking for Australia because we generally play attractive, attacking cricket at a very high standard. When people are seeing that, they're happy. There's also an element of national pride, and it shouldn't be surprising that this isn't generally affected by whether we win or not.

Aussie fans generally enjoy it when another team matches the Aussie's standards - the 05 Ashes is probably the most popular test series in Australia since the Worrell-Benaud series at the start of the 60s, despite Oz losing.

Why wouldn't we be pleased to have won a test against such good opponents, even if there was some luck for us. We have the least experienced team we've had in ages, and it was good to see them come good after some recent disappointments. I don't think anyone is forgetting we lost the series, or that we're not the team we were 24 months ago.
I find it very hard to reconcile this balanced and measured post with the image of the average Aussie sports fan. But maybe that's just me.

Bees

U19 12th Man
They gave a standing ovation for Graeme Smith when he walked out to bat... that's gotta be worth something.

But otherwise, I would say that your image of the average Aussie sports fan probably constitutes a large number of folk. Perhaps not a majority - or, even if a majority, there are large portion of us out here willing to give (and enjoy) credit where credit is due.