• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa In Australia

gwo

U19 Debutant
I disagree personally.

England were the far better team during '05, but Australia stayed in it because England faltered at crucial times and because of Warne. Took an unlikely rearguard to make Edgbaston close, which Australia could have won, but England clearly dominated most of the test, just collapsed in the second innings when it counted and then couldn't get the tail out. OT would have been England's too if Ponting hadn't played a freakish knock.

This series, Australia were ahead after two days in all three tests, pretty comfortably in the case of the first and second tests, and could easily have won all the games, but neither side could really close out the tail. South Africa won the series because they did what Australia used to do, which is win the crucial moments in each game and fight their way back into it. They chased over 400 to win one game and added 300 with their last four wickets in another. And they had the better bowling attack overall, but not by a huge margin IMO.

Was a pretty close series, South Africa just did better when it counted.

edit: I also think there's a lot of positives for Australia to take from this. Siddle bowled pretty well throughout for a new guy against a good batting lineup, Johnson was great, as was about half of the batting lineup. Could definitely have been worse if it wasn't for a few of the newer guys and the way they performed. Same goes for SA actually, who found Duminy in this series, who looks a great player.
Quoted for truth purposes.

I would only give a pass mark to Johnson, Siddle and Ponting on the Australian Team, while South Africa had clearly more players performing for their team than not.

Australia did a mighty fine job (albeit at home) with an attack of Johnson, Siddle, Mcdonald, Hauritz and Bollinger. Lee and Clark both injured and bowling under their capability. Can't wait for the next 2 series involving Australia. A superclose series with SA in SA and thrashing the English and showing the world we're still here to stay.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Quoted for truth purposes.

I would only give a pass mark to Johnson, Siddle and Ponting on the Australian Team, while South Africa had clearly more players performing for their team than not.

Australia did a mighty fine job (albeit at home) with an attack of Johnson, Siddle, Mcdonald, Hauritz and Bollinger. Lee and Clark both injured and bowling under their capability. Can't wait for the next 2 series involving Australia. A superclose series with SA in SA and thrashing the English and showing the world we're still here to stay.
Harsh on Clarke & Haddin one feels.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
1) Graeme Smith - bats at eleven, doesn't bowl, get him out of there.
2) So sick of boring Test Matches, bring on the 20/20 on Sunday!
3) DWTA

pasag

RTDAS
Will probs head along to the T20 on Sunday. With Smith out I reckon we'll take the ODIs pretty easily, although after losing the past two late summer ODI series at home, you never know. So good there's no tri-series.

inbox24

International Debutant
Don't be haeting on Nicholas yo, he seems like a nice guy, makes sensible comment and isn't overly biased.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Athlai's Series XI

GC Smith
SM Katich
RT Ponting
AB de Villiers
MJ Clarke
JP Duminy
BJ Haddin
MG Johnson
DW Steyn
PM Siddle
M Ntini

pup11

International Coach
Will probs head along to the T20 on Sunday. With Smith out I reckon we'll take the ODIs pretty easily, although after losing the past two late summer ODI series at home, you never know. So good there's no tri-series.
I think Australia currently has a better ODI side compared to the test side, so i can see them doing very well in the ODI', but with Watson,Symonds, Lee all missing, the balance of the Aussie ODI side could suffer a bit, so a lot would depend on how guys who replace them perform.

biased indian

International Coach
Ponting played better than Amla IMO and Haddin was the better batsman (though admittedly Boucher kept to a higher standard)
ponting was not comfortable at all during the series did have one good inngs amla though didn't carry on to score big did look in good form

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Pattat0's Series XI -

Smith (capt)
Katich
Amla
de Villiers
Clarke
Duminy
Haddin (wk)
Johnson
Steyn
Siddle
Harris

susudear

Banned
ponting was not comfortable at all during the series did have one good inngs amla though didn't carry on to score big did look in good form
You must be kidding mate.

Ponting made 101 and 99 in the Melbourne Test.

He made a quick 50 in this test in the second innings.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Ponting looked great twice and got out early in two other innings and that 100 (x2 basically whats a run between friends) earned him his place ahead of Amla.

pup11

International Coach
Ponting played better than Amla IMO and Haddin was the better batsman (though admittedly Boucher kept to a higher standard)
Haddin's glove-work needs some improvement, especially when he is keeping upto the stumps, his dropped catch of Duminy of the bowling of Hauritz could have proved a very costly miss, even though that was a tough catch, you expect an international keeper to grab those sort of chances.

pasag

RTDAS
Serious? After his initial start in Melb he was sensational and in the last innings he was the only Aus batsmen to look at home on the deck.