• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa In Australia

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'll make sure to include this post in my victory post. :)
Your missing the point, nothing in sport is 100%, otherwise they'd stop playing. Its your odds of 70/30 in SA's favor that I find laughable. This chase is far less likely than the Perth chase of 400+ IMO, firstly because of the pitch & secondly SA only having 9 wickets (excluding their best batsman in the series).

If they do somehow pull off a miraculous victory (which I think is highly unlikely), it won't actually make you any wiser or Ponting's decision to pull-out when he did a bad one :)

inbox24

International Debutant
Your missing the point, nothing in sport is 100%, otherwise they'd stop playing. Its your odds of 70/30 in SA's favor that I find laughable. This chase is far less likely than the Perth chase of 400+ IMO, firstly because of the pitch & secondly SA only having 9 wickets (excluding their best batsman in the series).

If they do somehow pull off a miraculous victory (which I think is highly unlikely), it won't actually make you any wiser or Ponting's decision to pull-out when he did a bad one :)
Definitely I agree, but the situation isn't as 50/50 as everyone thinks. The pitch is still relatively flat and even with only 8 wickets in hand, 5 of them are in pretty good form, Amla, Kallis, de Villiers, Boucher, Duminy and no doubt the rest will chip in with key innings. What I don't like is how everyone says "blah blah blah record chase not gonna happen" I think past chase records have exactly 0 influence on the cricket, it's purely the quality of chasing team and the bowling and fielding of the opposition of which the latter is still quite poor.

Zinzan

Definitely I agree, but the situation isn't as 50/50 as everyone thinks. The pitch is still relatively flat
Flat !? Are we watching the same game? :-O Admittedly I've only had time to watch the last session both yesterday and today. In that time I've seen the ball that Hayden should have been out LBW to last night that virtually rolled along the ground at 140 kms, and have just seen the length delivery at around 125 kms almost take Amla's head off :wacko:

Not sure this is what one would describe as a flat-wicket tbh.

Xuhaib

International Coach
If Sa can be 150-1or2 by lunch tomms I reckon they will chase it down since a) they already have a confidence to do it. b) they have nothing to loose with the series already in the bag, a few more risks might be taken.

Zinzan

once saw Salim Malik score a crucial 12 against Marshal and Holding with one hand so it has been done before.
Yup, Marshall himself batted (and bowled) with a full broken-arm if my memory serves me correctly. I still think Smith would only bat if there were something like 10 runs or less required.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Haddin's chance was pretty tough IMO. Would have been a very good catch if he took it.

Nice to see Hauritz getting some serious turn towards the end of the day. Hopefully for his sake he can bowl some good spells tomorrow, really needs it.

pup11

International Coach
I think an Aussie win or a draw are the only two likely results in this game now, the wicket hasn't behaved as badly as many were expecting, but if one is accurate enough to target those cracks then a lot of problems can be caused by the bowlers, i think Pete Siddle is going to be the man who would have to win this game for Australia, if he's accurate enough to attack the stumps and use those cracks to his advantage, then with his pace he might just run through the Saffie batting line-up, Johnson and Hauritz too would have to chip in with handy contributions to ensure an Aussie win, given the way Bollinger has bowled in this game so far, i am not expecting much from him or McDonald tomorrow.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
SA will sleep better than Aus tonight, imo, given that the odds should be stacked against them and the series is already won. To lose when bating 4th on this pitch without Smith is no disaster, and anything else would be a huge bonus. Aus, otoh, know that this should be a comfortable win, but their bowling is inexperienced and McKenzie & Amla have seen off the new ball. Admittedly I didn't see a single ball bowled, but the Aus 2nd innings looks like a fairly comfortable affair, and SA will be encouraged by that too.

Pieface

Cricket Spectator
I'm liking McDonald. He's given the captain back some control with his ability to dry up the runs. He was also unlucky not to have McKenzie lbw before stumps today...

It's up to Siddle or Johno to get the wickets tomorrow though. Hauritz isn't looking like he's going to have an impact.

pup11

International Coach
I don't know why people would expect Bollinger to bowl full and try and swing the ball when it isn't swinging. He dropped back his length because it was the sensible thing to do and bowled decently overall. Not brilliantly and not really worthy of the hype, but there was some promise there and he could easily have had a couple of wickets that ended up with other people instead.
Not saying he should be pitching every ball upto the batsman, but as a natural swing bowler he should have tried to bowl full a lot more than he has done, because despite the fact that there wasn't much swing on offer, he looked a lot more dangerous when he pitched the ball full or kept it in the good length areas.

pup11

International Coach
I'm liking McDonald. He's given the captain back some control with his ability to dry up the runs. He was also unlucky not to have McKenzie lbw before stumps today...

It's up to Siddle or Johno to get the wickets tomorrow though. Hauritz isn't looking like he's going to have an impact.
Seriously minus some outswing McDonald looks like a very pedestrian bowler at the test level, i mean even Mike Hussey can bowl what he is bowling atm with Haddin upto the stumps.

Hauritz btw looked pretty good today imo, got the ball to drift and spin nicely and was bowling in the right areas targetting the rough and the crack.