• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's ODI squad

Rooboy

Cricket Spectator
Look this is biased but i dont care.

I come from the west, you know where the best cricketers in world are produced! (When the WACA was harder than an international airport runway)

Luke Ronchi must be at least considered in substitute of Haddin, he is straight out of the Gilchrist mould and a good keeper to boot. I dont think the selectors have to settle for Haddin cause he was 'entitled' to the spot after Gilly.

Mike Hussey should of been in both forms of the international seen 10 years ago and if his spot is in doubt they have lost the plot completely.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
unfortunately ronchi is injured, and having a pretty lean run with the bat since he got back from the windies, but i agree, he should be given a go, amazing hitter, and good with the gloves.

can't believe geeves is even being considered, didn't get get a pounding in the exhibition t20 a few weeks ago ?

hughes should be given a bit more time, but not much, maybe another 12 months, and on that basis, henriques should be given at least 2 more years, young, raw, has done nothing consistently at state level yet.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Marsh
North
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Hussey
Haddin
Noffke
Heal
Johnson
Bracken

in ma dreamz

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is what I think the selectors will pick (right or wrong):

Hayden
Hopes
Ponting
Clarke
D Hussey/Macdonald/White/Katich (if so swap places with Hopes)
Hussey
Haddin
Clark (if fit)/Noffkeiffit/Siddle/Hilfenhaus/
Bracken
Hauritz
Tait

Have to say it looks a lot more dire without Hogg/McGrath/Gilchrist

Tait is a walk up start after the WC'07 and his recent domestic performance.

Hayden will be given a go to help transition the team (and after his ridiculously poor world cup)

Hauritz is a walk up start replacing Hogg - he's better suited to the ODI format anyway.

Hopes opens for QLD, has experience and provides an all-round option.

Ponting/Clarke/Hussey/Haddin/Bracken all pick themselves (well Haddin doesn't, but will be given some time to settle in the side).

The only parts of the team that IMO are contentious (in the selectors minds anyway) are the final batsman (MacDonald if they feel an allrounder is necessary, and one of D Hussey, White or Katich if a bat is required) and the final bowling spot (which should go to Noffkeiffit IMO).

I don't want to see Katich anywhere near the ODI side, I think he should focus purely on tests. Once the team is a bit settled in a year or so bring in Jaques/Marsh (depending on who the selectors think is in the long term interests of the team. Eventually, for the next world cup I imagine seeing a team structured around:

*opener*
Hopes
Ponting
Clarke
*middle order bat*
Hussey
Haddin/Ronchi
Noffkeiffit^
Tait
Hauritz
Johnson

^This pick is purely because I'm a QLDer and Noffkeiffit is awesome.

Bracken will likely be too old by the next WC, as will Hayden (obviously), Lee and Symonds while Ponting will be on his last legs. Hussey may be past it but I think that he'll get a run at least. Tait, if he stays fit and quick will be in that bowling lineup. Hauritz should be our ODI spinner still (unless another Warne comes along, which is unlikely). Hopes will probably be in the team, though it will be seen as his final WC chance. Clarke will probably take over as ODI captain after this campaign. Ronchi may be the ODI keeper by then.

The opener spot will probably be between Hughes, Jaques and Marsh, while (depending on form) Hopes may move to the middle order to make way for one of those three.

The middle order bat spot will likely be between Hopes, D Hussey and White (though I think honestly that the selectors will keep Hopes up the top and put white in as the final middle order bat). There are a few wildcards here such as Henriques (who would help remove the need for Hopes) and Pomersbach.

The final bowler spot(s) will probably be between Siddle, Hilfenhaus, Geeves and whoever else has made their case domestically by then. Perhaps even Bollinger, though I think he's probably a bit more suited to the longer form of the game (and will be older).

Certainly I can see some big pressure placed on some of the older players by then, particularly if we start losing ODI series'. It could even be that Ponting gets replaced as both skipper and a batsman by then (he will, after all, be 37), though I doubt that.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
surely that game should be scrapped from any serious selection considerations?
why ? was still 2 teams playing a relatively serious t20, no different to any world XI series or africa XI v Asian XI, and his perfomance proved he wasn't up to it, i think he must be rooting someone's daughter

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
why ? was still 2 teams playing a relatively serious t20, no different to any world XI series or africa XI v Asian XI, and his perfomance proved he wasn't up to it, i think he must be rooting someone's daughter
Most of those 24 deliveries were probably quite poor, but i'm sure he's played enough limited over cricket that we don't have to rely solely on those when judging his ability.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
i just can't really see where his selection has come from, but then there's been a few like that lately, which wouldn't surprise to see warner as a smokey at this stage, given injuries and most likely a youth policy

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Most people are. 8-)

He got picked against Bangladesh, if fit [forgot he was injured] he must be in the selectors thoughts.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
I hope he's rooting someone's daughter. Every girl/woman is someone's daughter. If he's rooting someone's son then there could be a problem.

Durham_CCC

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hilfenhaus, not seen much off him, but IIRC, he played a few ODI'S against Sri Lanka last summer. Would I be correct on that ?

Also, is he swing or extreme pace ?

Rant0r

International 12th Man
I hope he's rooting someone's daughter. Every girl/woman is someone's daughter. If he's rooting someone's son then there could be a problem.
you missed the point, ie rooting a selector's or administrator's daughter, although that doesn't always go well for you, see dean jones, tim zoehrer

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
you missed the point, ie rooting a selector's or administrator's daughter, although that doesn't always go well for you, see dean jones, tim zoehrer
Give the selectors some cred.

Selector A - "Let's pick Geeves cause he made my daughter climax last night.

Selector B - "Did he? Wow, let's pick him".
:wacko:

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Give the selectors some cred.

Selector A - "Let's pick Geeves cause he made my daughter climax last night.

Selector B - "Did he? Wow, let's pick him".
:wacko:
pay attention sunshine, no one gets cred after cameron white

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
pay attention sunshine, no one gets cred after cameron white
I was against the selection of Cameron White, completely against it, this is different.

I know what you are trying to say about Geeves, but it's absurd to say he got selected for any reason other than the selectors think he's rightfully or wrongfully talented enough to make the side.

Geeves has performed well domestically in List A matches, he's injured anyways, so won't be included.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
I didn't miss the point. Don't be so serious, man. You're too serious.