• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa In Australia

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Concepts such as 'common sense' don't come into it.

Look, obviously I don't know any of this for sure but if Lee seriously has fractures in the foot which takes the load of bowling quick, then for him to have even batted let alone be out there bowling now shows a fairly spectacular lack of concern for one's own welfare.

It would also surprise me greatly if this problem only came up in this match.
At some point you have to think with your brain. The physio and coach should intervene on the player's behalf if he can't or isn't. There is a lot of pressure to be seen as tough, especially if you're a new player (which doesn't apply to Lee). I think at some point, someone has to intervene with the player's long term interests in mind. What if he shatters it and it's never the same, even for normal activities?

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm not advocating poor decisions, but when a batsman moves his bat or glove within inches of the ball, he does create the risk of a poor umpire's decision. A risk that could (and should?) be avoided by keeping the bat low when facing a bouncer.
Exactly, it quite often looks out from the bowler's end. I saw the reply and it was a good bouncer! Given Hussey generally deals with the short ball well.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
Feel really sorry for Lee in that over. Close appeal (I thought too high, good decision), then a snick through gully for 4 next ball. That's so frustrating as a bowler.

Son Of Coco

Current world standings:

1. India/South Africa
2. ?
3. ???
4. ??
5. England/Pakistan
6. New Zealand
7. West Indies
8. Bangladesh
9. Daylight
10. ?
11. USA
12. Zimbabwe
13. ??
14. ???
15. ?
16. Australia
17. Lidcombe Cricket Club

Australia currently ranked 16th in the world.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Son Of Coco

:laugh:

Just give Australia a break. The whole thing was destined to end ****ed up the moment they decided to drop the best ever bowler against South Africa in recent times, namely Stuart Clark. Clark's utility was that he plugged the run-flow at one end, forcing batsmen to have a go at bowlers at the other end and gifting wickets, not to mention he took his share too in the meanwhile. For an attacking bowler like Lee or (never thought I'd be saying this) Johnson, you need to have a miserly bowler at the other end. Peter Siddle for all his efforts, is not a shade near Clark.

And oh the traveller named Symonds. The sooner he and his unwanted entourage of attention was offloaded, the better for Australia.

I hope I will be eating this post and some other in CW by this time tomorrow, thanks to an unbelievable choke by the Saffies and a win to Australia.
You've started writing normally...it's much better! :happy:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
At some point you have to think with your brain. The physio and coach should intervene on the player's behalf if he can't or isn't. There is a lot of pressure to be seen as tough, especially if you're a new player (which doesn't apply to Lee). I think at some point, someone has to intervene with the player's long term interests in mind. What if he shatters it and it's never the same, even for normal activities?
I doubt they have the mandate to force someone not to play, though. Comes down to the player. If he says he's fine, I would doubt anyone would stop him. Unless, of course, he's putting his life at risk.

That said, there's a downside. If a player says he's alright and it's found later he wasn't, particularly if it costs the team the match, there will be a price in trust to pay.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I doubt they have the mandate to force someone not to play, though.
I would think the physio does have that mandate. At the very least, they should talk to Ponting about it - I doubt Ponting would keep him on if the physio and/or the coach advised against it.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I doubt they have the mandate to force someone not to play, though. Comes down to the player. If he says he's fine, I would doubt anyone would stop him. Unless, of course, he's putting his life at risk.
Even that... weren't the players discussing how they were going to physically restrain JL if he tried to bat in that test in SA?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Love kicking a bloke whilst he is down don't you?
I'm not going to be a hypocrite. I think the atmosphere in CC has improved markedly since Richard was banned.

Be nice if one of these appeals was given just to create a bit of interest. All seems too easy for SA.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I would think the physio does have that mandate. At the very least, they should talk to Ponting about it - I doubt Ponting would keep him on if the physio and/or the coach advised against it.
People are discharged from hospitals all the time AMA. What makes you think in a sporting contest it'd be any different? Before a match, a selection panel could just decide to not pick a bloke if he makes himself available but in a match, if he says he's fine, no-one can force him not to play, even at the risk of long-term injury. Patients have rights and if he's prepared to accept the risk of long-term injury, who has a right to stop him?

I agree with you Lee is really dumb to bowl on it. I wouldn't. But then, who can stop him?

archie mac

International Coach
I have watched every ball of this match

Ponting the batsman 9/10

Ponting the captain 3/10

I watched last night and thought at least one thing they would have learned is to put someone at third man:wacko: But no lets wait until there have been nine fours and then put someone down there:@

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
I agree with you Lee is really dumb to bowl on it. I wouldn't. But then, who can stop him?
I would. He's desperate now, barring a good performance in this innings he's staring down the barrel of being dropped. At his age that could quite possibly mean the end of his career.

That fear will be more than enough to keep him going.