• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa In Australia

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They're not strictly, but to get that good at batting you must have played an unbelievable shedload of cricket, and it's surprising that a player would do that and still be clueless regarding tactics.
Playing a lot of cricket often has nothing to do with a person's ability to think tactically. It's a game, after all. People play because they love to play and are good at it. That says nothing of their ability to analyze it tactically.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
How are the two related?
I acknowledged they're not in the post you quoted, but removed.

Nonetheless, the gap between his top of the line in batting, and unbelievably poor at times field placements and bowling changes, is plain weird.

It doesn't take a cricket genius to realise its best to bring in the square fielders to a tailender who is not cutting or pulling. You'd expect a guy who averages 56+ with the bat to understand this too, no?

Mr Mxyzptlk

It doesn't take a cricket genius to realise its best to bring in the square fielders to a tailender who is not cutting or pulling. You'd expect a guy who averages 56+ with the bat to understand this too, no?
Actually I wouldn't. Chanderpaul is rubbish at tactics. He's a brilliant batsman.

And that said, even some of best captains make baffling decisions that don't necessarily qualify them as idiots.

Uppercut

Playing a lot of cricket often has nothing to do with a person's ability to think tactically. It's a game, after all. People play because they love to play and are good at it. That says nothing of their ability to analyze it tactically.
You'd think 15,000 hours of batting would help though.

Evermind

International Debutant
Symonds can't bowl medium pacers because of injury, Katich can't bowl because of soreness...so now Johnson, Hauritz and Siddle have Clarke and Hussey to bowl with. I can't imagine this attack blowing SA away in the second innings.

Australian selectors need to start paying attention. I think having Warne, McGrath, Gilchrist and Langer made their jobs rather easy: they could pick a couple of passengers every few games and it wouldn't be noticed because Australia kept winning. Not the same anymore.

"Australia's bowling struggles since the retirements of Glenn McGrath and Shane Warne have caused Lee to bowl a mammoth 570.1 overs this year, about 20 per cent of his career workload. The figure was the most of any bowler in the world for the year until Mitchell Johnson (574.0) edged past him yesterday."

http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/cr...stress-reaction/2008/12/28/1230399045966.html

I think this might explain why he's been so poor lately. To send 570 overs down at 145kph throughout the year must take a tremendous toll on you. I really wish they had rested him for the NZ series.

inbox24

International Debutant
http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/cricket/gloom-and-duminy/2008/12/28/1230399045951.html

8-)

Roebuck is such a pompous, histrionic writer. He needs to take a long holiday in the Windies and listen to some reggae. Chillax, dude. It's just a game, it's not bloody theatre.
Seriously the guy needs to learn some respect and STOP STEALING MY PUNS!!!

On a more serious note we should just play for the draw, you're right the bowling attack is rubbish and even if Johnson does take another 8fer I still can't see Siddle, Hauritz getting the last two. Just let Hayden try to get a double century because any total we put on will be chased down, and I mean it this time even if it's 500.

Good to hear Lee is out, just at the perfect time when his form was down. This might be the perfect rocket up the selector's backside to got with some debutants, Bollinger and Hilfenhaus.

Johnson
Bollinger
Siddle
Hilfenhaus

A semblence of a good attack, although probably the most inexperienced in world cricket. It's unbelieveable that in less than 2 years we've gone from the world's most experienced to the world's least experienced.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
When the series started, I was selfishly rooting for Australia to win, as I wanted India to be the bigger challengers to the #1 title, compared to SA. However, after seeing the last two Tests, I can't keep it up. I am absolutely loving every moment of this. If SA end up being the #1 team for a while, I'd be happy for them, and it would be deserved.

Fin de siècle indeed. Hopefully, Ponting keeps falling on his face...hard. While I don't buy that they'll be a bad team, or even an average team, there'll be lots of chances for some nice payback from a couple of countries if they seize their opportunities, and it'll be exciting to see. There'll be a lot of pent up frustration after the last fifteen years of Aussie rule (from losing, as well as the attitudes of some Aussie players), and I'm personally looking forward to see what the other teams can do. At least for the fans of other countries, it should be a very fun time. Looking forward to the Ashes.

Last edited:

Uppercut

The amount of spirit in this SA team is almost unprecedented. For Steyn and Harris to battle through hostile bowling and stick around for almost an entire day between them was great to watch. Reminded me of their top order performance at Lords, batting out six sessions to save a match. Gutsy side tstl.

JBH001

International Regular
Fin de siècle indeed. Hopefully, Ponting keeps falling on his face...hard. While I don't buy that they'll be a bad team, or even an average team, there'll be lots of chances for some nice payback from a couple of countries if they seize their opportunities, and it'll be exciting to see. There'll be a lot of pent up frustration after the last fifteen years of Aussie rule (from losing, as well as the attitudes of some Aussie players), and I'm personally looking forward to see what the other teams can do. At least for the fans of other countries, it should be a very fun time. Looking forward to the Ashes.
Agreed. Have to admit to feeling just a little schadenfreude at the wailing and gnashing of teeth by Australian posters on these boards.

But as you also point out SS, its now time for other good teams to step up and prove themselves.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The amount of spirit in this SA team is almost unprecedented. For Steyn and Harris to battle through hostile bowling and stick around for almost an entire day between them was great to watch. Reminded me of their top order performance at Lords, batting out six sessions to save a match. Gutsy side tstl.
I don't buy into all that stuff tbh. It's easy to have spirit when you have McGrath and Warne, and easy to be accused of having none when they retire. Same goes the other way for other teams. SA lost four wickets in four balls in WC against Malinga. It happens, it doesn't have anything to do with spirit, even though we love placing the choker tag or whatnot.

Uppercut

I don't buy into all that stuff tbh. It's easy to have spirit when you have McGrath and Warne, and easy to be accused of having none when they retire. Same goes the other way for other teams. SA lost four wickets in four balls in WC against Malinga. It happens, it doesn't have anything to do with spirit, even though we love placing the choker tag or whatnot.
I know what you mean, it's overplayed a bit. And i wouldn't accuse Australia of lacking guts. But South Africa don't have a Warne or McGrath, they don't regularly win matches by outclassing the other team. Their strengths are in coping well under pressure and never giving up. A lot of players would have folded having been struck on both hands by Mitchell Johnson or nicked out chasing a wide one when faced with the prospect of batting out twelve hours of cricket for a draw in a tough match away at Lord's.

Top_Cat

After yesterday, the Aussie team has a fair bit to prove as far as its ability to stay in the match goes. Have historically been good at pressing home an advantage but losing few wickets to tea would do a lot to repair the damage a bit. The perception by a lot of people is that the Aussies have always had a soft underbelly, that they don't respond well when someone pokes them in the chest but the quality of their players hid that. Time to man up, m'thinks.