• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa In Australia

Demolition Man

State Vice-Captain
Aussies need to win this test, as it has been shown in recent times its far too easy to get a draw at the SCG with a big first innings.

pup11

International Coach
Lets get a bit practical here, Ponting isn't going to sacked unless he goes onto lose the Ashes 5-0 and also every series in between then and now, and even if he gets sacked Clarke would be made the captain, its as simple as that, whether we like it or not is a different thing all together.

Bees

U19 12th Man
I don't think they are - and if they are, they really shouldn't be - if they draw here, then the series win that they've been craving... the series win they've been fighting for, will be lost. With Clark's return next summer, a series win in Australia may never be found for a long time.

Furthermore, if Lee can't bat, they've never had a better chance of running through the line-up cheaply.

South Africa need to tighten the screws, and for them - now is the time.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
Aussies need to win this test, as it has been shown in recent times its far too easy to get a draw at the SCG with a big first innings.
Leave alone Australia thinking about harbouring thoughts of a win here, they might do well to not lose this game now, they are already trailing by 60 odd runs and are probably one bowler short in this game now with Lee' injury, so if South Africa are successful in knocking over the Aussies cheaply in the 2nd dig then Australia could be in real trouble.

pup11

International Coach
If i was a Saffie supporter i won't have been too happy with they are doing atm, they are well on top of the Aussies in this game now, and i would have liked them showing more positive intent and maybe declare now and make the Aussie openers face a tough period of 6-7 overs this evening and try to knock one or two of them over, but the Saffies seem to thinking of a draw already.

Bees

U19 12th Man
I agree, Pup. However, any amount of runs under 150 are just runs they don't have to score on a 5th day pitch, because you know there's close to zero chance that the Aussies are going to get bowled out for under 200. It's better to have them in hand than to get them later, right? Especially if you bat 2nd.

That said, they are moving along very slowly. 2.6RR the last ten overs... pretty poor.

JBH001

International Regular
Is it just me, or is this the day SA stood up and said they were number one?

Although, that said, I would have liked to see Smith declare about 20 minutes ago.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Is it just me, or is this the day SA stood up and said they were number one?

Although, that said, I would have liked to see Smith declare about 20 minutes ago.
Really don't think a declaration is ever necessary when you only lead by 50 odd, but Duminy certainly should have thrown the bat a bit more. As Bees said, it's not like these runs aren't going to be required later, but that theory only really stands up if you're scoring at a good rate, which this partnership certainly isn't.

pup11

International Coach
Even though i hate the fact he played this innings against Australia, but given the situation from which he has scored this ton

Jean-Paul Duminy

:notworthy

JBH001

International Regular
Really don't think a declaration is ever necessary when you only lead by 50 odd, but Duminy certainly should have thrown the bat a bit more. As Bees said, it's not like these runs aren't going to be required later, but that theory only really stands up if you're scoring at a good rate, which this partnership certainly isn't.

Duminy out for a fine hand. What a player!

I agree, that is why I thought trading in some extra runs for an early wicket or two would make sense.

susudear

Banned
Don;t think pup will be there

Lets get a bit practical here, Ponting isn't going to sacked unless he goes onto lose the Ashes 5-0 and also every series in between then and now, and even if he gets sacked Clarke would be made the captain, its as simple as that, whether we like it or not is a different thing all together.
I don't think pup will survive in such a case. All my forecasts point to Tait being the captain then.