• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa In Australia

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Australia have invested more than seven years in the development of Watson. There is no time like the present to unleash him.
Very good line there, seems strange that after spending so long in developing him they're too afraid to play him. Symmo would wanna make some runs, or at the very least, bowl an over or two of medium pace in Melbourne this week.

Bees

U19 12th Man
Here's a question related to statistics.

Despite the perceived weakness of the Aussie team going into the Boxing Day test, can you say that Australia will probably win anyway because of their winning streak on this ground?

pup11

International Coach
WTF? The ****ed up selection policies seem very much like they are here to stay, Pete Siddle was not one bit effective at Perth and Ponting even accepted this, but still they went ahead and picked him for this all important boxing day test, if they were going to play him then why draft Hilfy into the squad, the Aussie selectors and the think tank have gone nuts, if Siddle is bowling well in the nets that necessarily won't transpire onto the field, but i guess Siddle has seduced some influential people in Aussie cricket with his man boobs, because i can't find any other logical explanation for this....

pup11

International Coach
Here's a question related to statistics.

Despite the perceived weakness of the Aussie team going into the Boxing Day test, can you say that Australia will probably win anyway because of their winning streak on this ground?
What happened in the past is history now, Australia had great match winners in their team then and for them winning a game anywhere wasn't much of an ask, but just because the Aussies have a great record at the G doesn't mean they will win there everytime, because that's not how things work in cricket, for them to win this test they would have play some excellent cricket, but as evident from the selection of Pete Siddle, the Aussies seem to be caught in the festive spirit, so they might just gift wrap the game and the series and give it to the Proteas.

howardj

International Coach
Siddle's bewildering selection has Merv Hughes's fingerprints all over it. That's the only way White got to play in India, when Hughes was the selector on duty. Honestly, the guy is an absolute boofhead who doesn't know **** from clay. How could they possibly get this selection so so wrong. Put simply, they're not experts these people. Merely former players who have no idea.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Cue Siddle to take a hat-full and pup11 to say what a great he is and what faith shown by the selectors. :)

Speersy

U19 Cricketer
I think the selection of Siddle, is more the selectors trying to show faith in one guy and give him a decent run.
We cant have every bowler only getting 2 games and then ditched if they don't take a 5-fer (or if they do). They initially picked Siddle for a reason and that wouldn't have changed much just because he has played two games.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I think the selection of Siddle, is more the selectors trying to show faith in one guy and give him a decent run.
We cant have every bowler only getting 2 games and then ditched if they don't take a 5-fer (or if they do). They initially picked Siddle for a reason and that wouldn't have changed much just because he has played two games.
Home ground as well and I didn't think he was that bad at Perth.

pup11

International Coach
Cue Siddle to take a hat-full and pup11 to say what a great he is and what faith shown by the selectors. :)
Well if he does that then the credit would go to Siddle for changing his fortunes so quickly, becuase his bowling at Perth really doesn't justify a place for him in the XI for the boxing day test from a selection POV.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
*sigh* Symonds had better bowl more than 2 overs at the MCG. Really, a genuine 5th bowling option whilst we've still got an inexperience attack is essential. Don't really mind Siddle being left in the team at his home ground as opposed to Hilfenhaus, still would have preferred to see Bollinger in the team at Perth to start with.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Well if he does that then the credit would go to Siddle for changing his fortunes so quickly, becuase his bowling at Perth really doesn't justify a place for him in the XI for the boxing day test from a selection POV.
Aside from a late spell on day four neither does Brett Lee, who spent the best part of the test bowling 135kph and not swinging the ball. His not in the team to do that. If Lee deserves another chance so does Siddle, who probably has played only a couple of games at the WACA in his whole career.

pasag

RTDAS
TBF, that's just stupid. You cant be expected to win all the time and such transitions are always going to be there. As usual media picks out certain guys who are vulnerable and keeps on beating the same thing (for example, Hayden's current form)

Oh and I dont think Aussie players and fans know much about anger after losing, Please ask any of the Indian/Pakistan Players.
Agree with this, the way our media has turned on the side is appalling and has turned me away from the entire cricketing media here. It was pathetic last year with Gilchrist and it's pathetic now with Hayden.

pasag

RTDAS
Mate Jacquesy will put on a batting clinic at the G.

Anyway my spies tell me that Symonds has a knee injury (which also prevented him from bowling in Perth) and must pass a fitness test.
If Kallis turns it on hopefully we'll see some of the same explosive batting as the last Test. Not only is it exciting but it was also a pivitol moment in the Test that really put Australia back in their box. Good news Symonds is ok too, at my last two Boxing Day's at the MCG he really turned it up, was awesome.

howardj

International Coach

It's professional cricket mate. To hell with Siddle's feelings or needing to re-assure guys on the fringe of the team - we're down 1-0 so the team's interests, and us winning this Test, must come first. To me, that means Siddle should have missed out on this game. That doesn't mean he's condemned to the wilderness forever, but just that, in the interests of the team winning this Series, he misses out on this cut-throat match.