• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa In Australia

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Almost as good as Chappell.
Justin Langer agrees...

From Neil Manthrop's tour diary...

"That officially ends Australia's domination of world cricket and, judging by the way South Africa has played here, and the age of most of this team, I wouldn't be surprised if they go on to dominate themselves for a while now. Great captain, good balance in the team and a very good attitude."
- Justin Langer

Also from Manthrop's diary...

"Smith admits he is travelling three hours before the rest of the team to Melbourne to "see a surgeon and get and injection, or whatever...anything it takes to get me ready for the next Test and the rest of the series." His 'tennis elbow condition remains as serious as ever, if not worse."

http://www.supersport.co.za/cricket/columns.aspx?id=7015&headline=Manthorp`s+musings+from+Aus

Langeveldt

Soutie
Harsh on Harris. I was massively impressed, he's improved tenfold since England. It was just that the balls that he did take wickets with weren't his wicket-taking deliveries (apart from the jaffa to Ponting), rather he got them as a result of batsmen wanting to humiliate him (he always does). A few batsmen caught at mid-on were done by his excellent drift into the RHB too, to be fair to him.
Harris is under-rated.. By that I mean he's an average bowler who people seem to think is the absolute pits..

Langeveldt

Soutie
Justin Langer agrees...

From Neil Manthrop's tour diary...

"That officially ends Australia's domination of world cricket and, judging by the way South Africa has played here, and the age of most of this team, I wouldn't be surprised if they go on to dominate themselves for a while now. Great captain, good balance in the team and a very good attitude."
- Justin Langer

Also from Manthrop's diary...

"Smith admits he is travelling three hours before the rest of the team to Melbourne to "see a surgeon and get and injection, or whatever...anything it takes to get me ready for the next Test and the rest of the series." His 'tennis elbow condition remains as serious as ever, if not worse."

http://www.supersport.co.za/cricket/columns.aspx?id=7015&headline=Manthorp`s+musings+from+Aus
To be honest I'd bet on India to be world number ones for a fair while now..

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Those mouthing off about choking can suck on it! YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH WASSSSUP.
Congrats lad, happy for you.

Was out all day and get home to see the highlights. Wow, brilliant stuff from Smiffy's boys.

I still wouldn't call the Saffies numer uno just yet. Think we'll be in an era where there a lot of very evenly matches sides at the top. Loving Test match cricket right now. So awesome.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Still too early for this kind of talk. As a supporter I am just happy that with that many retirees we're still competitive. It'll take time for the Johnsons and Haddins to become the kind of players they replaced. I don't think there'll be another Warne in my lifetime, so I'll forget about that to save the disappointment. The Aussies are so used to having instant success that having to wait for it seems torture for some. Anyway, the next test will say more.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
To be honest I'd bet on India to be world number ones for a fair while now..
Hmm, if SA can pull of a series win in Australia, I'd back them easily TBH. They've got a very balanced team. Not saying they'll dominate, but assuming they go on to win the series, they'd be the 'first amongst equals', so to speak.

Either way, hopefully this heralds an era where the top five (Australia, South Africa, India, England and Sri Lanka) teams are all capable of beating each other at any time. That would be so fantastic to watch. If Pakistan start playing again, maybe throw them in too.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Wow !! What a performance by SA. Congratulations to them and their fans. Hope they win the series.

Australia bowling attack is average and perhaps the worst I have seen. Some of us had argued long back about Australia's performance after Mcgrath/Warne retirement and it is definitely showing up now. Not to forget the decline in Hayden and Ponting's batting.

They have dominated for so long and it will be very hard for their fans to accept such losses. Hopefully they wont be too harsh on their cricketers.

Swervy

International Captain
Yeah, I think its over for Australia now, its been a good 10, 12, 15 years at the top., but its now time to accept that we are now back in the pack.

Interesting times

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
What's the point of picking another relatively short-in-stature right arm fast medium bowler whose main weapon is swing, when the ball hasn't swung in Australia anywhere barr Brisbane for about 5-10 years?
Well as Hoggard showed in 06 at least with the new ball he can be a threat.

Fact is MCG & SCG are likely to be a flat as well but won't be as flat as Perth as been. The new ball at these two grounds, even in this decade of flat Australian pitches always gets assistance.

So with Clark out, Australia need to find a 4-man seam attack with contrasting variety. Very crucial selections for the selectors coming up, really hope they don't mess it up like they did in India.

Savvy Saffer

Cricket Spectator
Well as Hoggard showed in 06 at least with the new ball he can be a threat.

Fact is MCG & SCG are likely to be a flat as well but won't be as flat as Perth as been. The new ball at these two grounds, even in this decade of flat Australian pitches always gets assistance.

So with Clark out, Australia need to find a 4-man seam attack with contrasting variety. Very crucial selections for the selectors coming up, really hope they don't mess it up like they did in India.
Mmm.. Not so sure the MCG will be that flat. They might consider spicing things up a bit considering the obvious lack of firepower on OZ side. A bit of grass and Brett Lee might suddenly look like a world beater...

Savvy Saffer

Cricket Spectator
I half agree on that.. Not sure we have seen the best of him yet though :dry:

I reckon he will improve as the series and indeed the return series goes on. He seemed a tad nervous but did look dangerous when he managed to swing the new ball on day 3.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Harris is under-rated.. By that I mean he's an average bowler who people seem to think is the absolute pits..
Completely agree, and it's especially true of international batsmen it would seem. As in India and in England, Harris carries very little threat but picks up wickets because people look at him with his silly-looking action, dreadfully dyed hair and apparent inability to ever spin a ball and think they have the right to humiliate him by scoring ten an over. I have a feeling it was a pre-meditated plan to hit him out of the attack too, which is even funnier.

howardj

International Coach
For all the talk about the toothlessness of our bowling (justified mind you), I think the batsmen have to take some responsibility for the loss yesterday. To be 7 for 170 on that pitch, was unacceptable. With a 100 run lead on the 1st innings, South Africa should never have been allowed back into the game.