• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do you rate Mitchell Johnson?

Do you rate Mitchell Johnson?

• Total voters

pskov

International 12th Man
Meh. Never did nor was offered "geology" at school so it's not a subject to me. Used to be called "geography" of course. 8-)
Geology and Geography are different things. Geology isn't typically offered at schools because it is more of a niche subject.

Unless you are fielding on a gravel track, I'm not sure how much difference between different outfields really has on a ball compared to the pitch. Turf is turf at the end of the day and the ball is just rolling along it rather than impacting harshly against it as on the pitch.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Geology and Geography are different things. Geology isn't typically offered at schools because it is more of a niche subject.
Aye, I know that, just making a comment on the diabolical nature of old-school subject classifications.
Unless you are fielding on a gravel track, I'm not sure how much difference between different outfields really has on a ball compared to the pitch. Turf is turf at the end of the day and the ball is just rolling along it rather than impacting harshly against it as on the pitch.
The type of pitch makes a difference as well, of course, and more often than not the square and outfield will be made of similar stuff. An outfield that roughs-up a ball quickly will generally be accompanied by a pitch that does likewise. However, the outfield certainly makes an impact. A good lush outfield on good-quality turf most certainly helps look after the ball.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If cricket balls actually lasted remotely well at the current time, maybe.

Kookaburras are just crap balls really though. Hate the things. And Australian outfields tend to rough cricket-balls up more than most countries as well.
Kookaburras are basically a round rock with no seam and are infinitely worse to bowl with than say a Duke

As for the outfield comment, absolutely incorrect as every Oz ground has an outfield like carpet

pup11

International Coach
Kookaburras are basically a round rock with no seam and are infinitely worse to bowl with than say a Duke

As for the outfield comment, absolutely incorrect as every Oz ground has an outfield like carpet
Kookaburras basically are balls that help the bowlers for 7 or 8 overs at the most and then the seam just sinks into the leather and as you said it just ends up being a round rock, but i think Richard is right with comment over the Kookaburra bowl tending to get roughed up more quickly in Australia as compared to other places, but that's not necessarily due to the nature of the outfields there, but it has got to do more with hard abrasive nature of the Aussie pitches nowadays.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well Kookaburras generally last slightly better in the UK than Australia, so therefore UK outfields are better. Nonetheless, Dukes are more commonly used over here and they last better as well - in addition to the fact that when they deteriorate, they reverse-swing more easily than a Kooka does.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
So how then does it not make sense to say "cricket balls wear quickly whoever's bowling at the current time"?
Ok, analogy time.

Brett Lee is a Ferrari. He goes places fast.

Mitchel Johnson is a rocket car. He goes places extremely fast.

Sure, it's true to say that you get places fast either way, BUT THAT'S NOT THE ****ING POINT.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Here's another analogy. A ferrari breaks the speed limit with exceptional ease. A rocket car breaks it with exceptional, exceptional ease. The one happens so easily, however, that the fact that the other happens even easier isn't really all that important. It's a problem, in the way of a hefty fine, for you either way.

If with Lee bowling the ball's got ruffed-up within 20 overs and with Johnson it's done it within 11, it's really not that much of an issue. You've got a huge number of overs to bowl with a nothing ball regardless, which is quite a problem.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
If with Lee bowling the ball's got ruffed-up within 20 overs and with Johnson it's done it within 11, it's really not that much of an issue. You've got a huge number of overs to bowl with a nothing ball regardless, which is quite a problem.
Wait, what? 9 overs isn't an issue?! Wow...

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Here's another analogy. A ferrari breaks the speed limit with exceptional ease. A rocket car breaks it with exceptional, exceptional ease. The one happens so easily, however, that the fact that the other happens even easier isn't really all that important. It's a problem, in the way of a hefty fine, for you either way.

:laugh: ...just when I thought I'd leave you be, you pull me back in.

Redbacks

International Captain
He might have to front up Friday with a lot of overs, hectic schedule for the bowlers in this series

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Given that it's a percentage of 80... no.

60 overs with a ball that does sod-all is extremely difficult bowling; so is 69. The difference is inconsiderable.
It's a percentage of 20. 11 overs to strike while the ball is doing something isn't much, 20 overs is is a significantly better opportunity.