• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official England in India***

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Another couple of gift wickets for Panesar to boost his average. Opposition teams obviously want to keep the duffer in England's team.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Another couple of gift wickets for Panesar to boost his average. Opposition teams obviously want to keep the duffer in England's team.
I know you are not Monty's biggest fan, but two of Swann's wickets were as gifted to him as Monty's. I obviously cannot compare Harbhajan to Gambhir or Dravid (although, given Dravid's recent form...:laugh: ) but surely the damage had already been done from the latter two. Moreover, how can you talk about England carrying a dead weight in the bowling department and not mention Stuart Broad who was largely ineffective after dismissing Sehwag - something which cannot be underplayed, but Sehwag does often tend to get himself out early.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I know you are not Monty's biggest fan, but two of Swann's wickets were as gifted to him as Monty's. I obviously cannot compare Harbhajan to Gambhir or Dravid (although, given Dravid's recent form...:laugh: ) but surely the damage had already been done from the latter two. Moreover, how can you talk about England carrying a dead weight in the bowling department and not mention Stuart Broad who was largely ineffective after dismissing Sehwag - something which cannot be underplayed, but Sehwag does often tend to get himself out early.
Swann and Broad can actually hold a bat and field, not that I'd have Broad in the team anyway. Also Swann was unlucky in the first place and I wouldn't have him in the team most of the time.

Panesar has been completely inept all series, he deserves to have 1-2 wickets at most over the two games. Before that he was competent but rubbish.

andrew9120

Cricket Spectator
I think that India is a difficult place for bowlers who are not used to the conditions. The trouble for Monty is that I keep remembering South Africa chasing at Edgbaston and Monty sending Smith a four ball every over. Likewise I remember him sending the Indian batsmen regular four balls at Chennai. Its one thing for a bowler to be wicketless but it becomes seriously worrying when they seem to be relieving the pressure on the opposition.... I am also inclined to agree with Aggers that Montys biggest trouble is his failure to learn new tricks, although this could be said of alot of Englands attack.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Umm, your own team isn't all there is. Clearly England are never going to win this game now and haven't been for quite a while, so I'm just pleased to see Dravid get some runs.
There are three days left. We could still win this.

Don't think our batsmen have the stomach for it, but a 450 1st innings doesn't make the game safe, IMO.

We just need to score a quick 400, declare, bowl them out for 150 and chase down 200, easy

pup11

International Coach

Don't think our batsmen have the stomach for it, but a 450 1st innings doesn't make the game safe, IMO.

We just need to score a quick 400, declare, bowl them out for 150 and chase down 200, easy
Well its good to be optimistic as a fan, but there is no chance of England winning this, if anything they are the once who could possibly lose this if they don't bat well, but still due to the weather the full 90 overs play won't be possible on either of the three days, so chances of any result are pretty bleak.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think that India is a difficult place for bowlers who are not used to the conditions. The trouble for Monty is that I keep remembering South Africa chasing at Edgbaston and Monty sending Smith a four ball every over. Likewise I remember him sending the Indian batsmen regular four balls at Chennai. Its one thing for a bowler to be wicketless but it becomes seriously worrying when they seem to be relieving the pressure on the opposition.... I am also inclined to agree with Aggers that Montys biggest trouble is his failure to learn new tricks, although this could be said of alot of Englands attack.
I thought he bowled quite well in that run chase in terms of accuracy. He regularly hit the footmarks and didn't allow Smith to get onto the back foot, as well as picking up a couple of top-order wickets. The main issue there was that every ball turned, so Smith just planted his foot outside off stump and played with the turn without having to worry about bringing the caught behind into play. Monty badly needed an arm ball on that occasion.

The fault that's being exposed in India, already seen in Sri Lanka last year, was a lack of flight. Good flight is a bonus on English pitches, but an absolute necessity in the subcontinent.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

There aren't three days left though, there are three probably-just-about-3\4-days left. IOW, about 200 overs. There's no way 450 isn't going to be a safe total with that few overs left.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I thought he bowled quite well in that run chase in terms of accuracy. He regularly hit the footmarks and didn't allow Smith to get onto the back foot, as well as picking up a couple of top-order wickets. The main issue there was that every ball turned, so Smith just planted his foot outside off stump and played with the turn without having to worry about bringing the caught behind into play. Monty badly needed an arm ball on that occasion.

The fault that's being exposed in India, already seen in Sri Lanka last year, was a lack of flight. Good flight is a bonus on English pitches, but an absolute necessity in the subcontinent.
Funny thing is, in theory a lack of flight should make a bowler even less effective over here than in the subcontinent. And even though MSP at England grounds other than Old Trafford hasn't been enormously successful, he's still been a damn sight more than he has been in India and Sri Lanka.

BTW, obviously Beevs was always going to be fuming about MSP being gifted those couple of wickets having been doing little but for the last 2-and-a-half years, but I'm so relieved Flintoff got gifted the last couple, he so deserved that and quite a bit more. Bloody Alastair useless Cook.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Flintoff today was rapid, accurate and provided enough movement on a docile pitch and ended up with just three wickets whereas the spinners were gifted with their fair few wickets. Flintoff really is an unlucky bowler, a lesser bowler would have ended up with five or more for that spell.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm so relieved Flintoff got gifted the last couple, he so deserved that and quite a bit more.
Amit Mishra does not gift his wicket, he was forced back into his crease and then done with the in-seaming delivery - such a complex ploy is often required to dislodge the Haryana number six stalwart!

:cool:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Funny thing is, in theory a lack of flight should make a bowler even less effective over here than in the subcontinent. And even though MSP at England grounds other than Old Trafford hasn't been enormously successful, he's still been a damn sight more than he has been in India and Sri Lanka.

BTW, obviously Beevs was always going to be fuming about MSP being gifted those couple of wickets having been doing little but for the last 2-and-a-half years, but I'm so relieved Flintoff got gifted the last couple, he so deserved that and quite a bit more. Bloody Alastair useless Cook.
Hmm, the problem (i think) with Monty on the subcontinent is that he can't get adequate bounce because he doesn't toss it up. But it's obviously not just the pitches, Monty's had other things going for him- the weakness of the NZ and WI batting lineups, the surprise factor as a fairly unique kind of bowler when he played in Australia, and a lot of luck in England outside OT. Somehow he finished with 13 wickets at 31 from the SA series where he was so ineffective it was ridiculous.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
If England had won the 1st Test i think they'd be pretty happy with how this test was going. The problem is England will find it very very hard to win from this position unless India totally collapse in the 2nd innings.