• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa In Australia

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yep, agreed. Smith the barometer for how well they're doing. If he goes off, they'll probably go 400+. If he goes early, I suspect the likes of Amla and De Villiers will struggle.
I don't think they are that dependent on Smith, although obviously Prince is a big loss. Smith's a big scorer if he gets in, but 300? They're very capable of getting there without him. You'd have thought the same about Australia minus Hayden, Ponting and Hussey.

Bit harsh on De Villiers too. Don't know if you watched this match but De Villiers got 174 with Flintoff and Anderson bowling exceptionally well (as well as Lee and Johnson can reasonably be expected to) in what were probably more awkward conditions than this.

The other thing to take into account is that Australia's bowling hasn't got great depth. Johnson now seems to be a good bowler but he's by no means a certainty to do well, Lee's excellent and seemed to hit form just at the end of the NZ series, but beyond that there's nothing but two wild cards and part-timers with the older ball. Unless they completely rip through South Africa with their first spell, someone will almost definitely get in.

Top_Cat

I don't think they are that dependent on Smith, although obviously Prince is a big loss. Smith's a big scorer if he gets in, but 300? They're very capable of getting there without him. You'd have thought the same about Australia minus Hayden, Ponting and Hussey.
Not saying they're dependent on the runs, as such. Just a barometer for how well the side is doing.

Bit harsh on De Villiers too. Don't know if you watched this match but De Villiers got 174 with Flintoff and Anderson bowling exceptionally well (as well as Lee and Johnson can reasonably be expected to) in what were probably more awkward conditions than this.

The other thing to take into account is that Australia's bowling hasn't got great depth. Johnson now seems to be a good bowler but he's by no means a certainty to do well, Lee's excellent and seemed to hit form just at the end of the NZ series, but beyond that there's nothing but two wild cards and part-timers with the older ball. Unless they completely rip through South Africa with their first spell, someone will almost definitely get in.
Don't think it's the bowlers, as such. De Villiers, from what I've seen, gets too keyed up by the Aussie approach and plays like a bloke looking to take the Aussies down a peg or two. Plays some shots trying to dominate but doesn't pare it back then gets out, winning a battle or two but losing the war. If he plays like he did in England (i.e. within himself a bit), he'll probably do well but that'd take a fairly major change in the way he plays against the Aussies.

As with many of the Saffies, their lack of success is largely mental against the Aussies. If they played the same way they play against the other top sides, they'd probably do well but against the Aussies, they play like the Aussies are their big brothers. Fully expect a bloke like Siddle to get in their face too.

Uppercut

Not saying they're dependent on the runs, as such. Just a barometer for how well the side is doing.

Don't think it's the bowlers, as such. De Villiers, from what I've seen, gets too keyed up by the Aussie approach and plays like a bloke looking to take the Aussies down a peg or two. Plays some shots trying to dominate but doesn't pare it back then gets out, winning a battle or two but losing the war. If he plays like he did in England (i.e. within himself a bit), he'll probably do well but that'd take a fairly major change in the way he plays against the Aussies.

As with many of the Saffies, their lack of success is largely mental against the Aussies. If they played the same way they play against the other top sides, they'd probably do well but against the Aussies, they play like the Aussies are their big brothers. Fully expect a bloke like Siddle to get in their face too.
Hmm, see what you mean, but i'm banking on them having learnt from that. Their attitude in the build-up suggests so, and they've played very maturely over the past couple of years to the effect that if you look at their actual quality, they've overachieved. IMO this team amounts to a little more than the sum of its parts, whereas previous, more talented SA teams amounted to a lot less than the sum of their parts.

You've got to forgive AB for being a bit mentally scarred too. He spent some time in Carrickfergus, Northern Ireland.

Woodster

International Captain
Just watched the whole days play (without finding out the score all day), and what an absorbing day it was, control of the match swinging to and fro so many times. At 15-3 Aussies obviously in real trouble, Katich was outstanding again, while Clarke battled his way to his half-century. Looked to be struggling throughout his innings, barring a couple of rasping strokes.

When those two fell it was back with SA, until Symonds and Haddin entertained with some exquisite shots, Haddin's six back over Kallis' head was a beauty. Really enjoy watching Haddin bat, and Symonds found a bit of nick also. Both out to pretty tame dismissals, disappointing, but I suppose that's what these two are capable of.

Decent lower order support to put the Aussies in decent position. Two bowlers I've been particularly scathing towards in Ntini and Harris, both actually had good days. Ntini seemed woefully out of form in England earlier this year, but bounced back to a degree today, and dismissing Hayden and Ponting was a dream start.

Harris did a surprisingly fair amount of bowling today, and held his end up pretty well. I know Uppercut intimated attacking Harris was what SA wanted, and he did manage to sucker Clarke and Symonds, but I'm pretty sure his figures will not make particularly pleasant reading for South Africans come the end of the series. To his credit he flighted the ball well and got a bit of response from the track.

Uppercut

Harris did a surprisingly fair amount of bowling today, and held his end up pretty well. I know Uppercut intimated attacking Harris was what SA wanted, and he did manage to sucker Clarke and Symonds, but I'm pretty sure his figures will not make particularly pleasant reading for South Africans come the end of the series. To his credit he flighted the ball well and got a bit of response from the track.
I'd have thought his figures won't end up too good, but they won't mind because Harris only comes on to bowl when the batsmen are well set. Considering the times he was thrown the ball today- when Kat+Clarke were piling on runs, then taken out to allow Symonds and Haddin to get their eye in, then brought back in when they were scoring freely- 2/60~ is a fantastic return, and even 2/80 would have been well worth it. Targeting him might have been a plan, but if it was it was a bloody stupid one from Symonds in particular. If they're giving you a single, take it.

However, having seen him bowl today he seems to have improved MASSIVELY from the tour of England. Fantastic accuracy (his pitch map was unbelievable), the ability to turn and flight the ball and also really, really good drift. Unless this was a one-off- and his recent FC/tour match performances suggest it's not- we have a far better bowler on our hands than the one that went to England, and he could well have a role to play other than being hit down long-on's throat.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year

Not sure the Aussies should try to wind AB up too much. Wasn't that what we did last summer, also having a shouting match at the tea break over a disputed catch and calling him a cheat, and then he came out and whacked a big hundred.

Burgey

Thought yesterday was arguably Symonds' best test knock, given the situation, the attack and his mud form of late. Despite the way it ended with the terrible shot, he looks like he's got his mojo back to me.

Top_Cat

Not sure the Aussies should try to wind AB up too much. Wasn't that what we did last summer, also having a shouting match at the tea break over a disputed catch and calling him a cheat, and then he came out and whacked a big hundred.
Different opposition. Has 3 50's and averages mid-20's in 7 matches vs Aus so, I guess, he's ripe to change that. Like I said, though, if he tries to dominate rather than doing what's been working for him in the last year (patience, batting time, etc.), he might get himself into trouble.

Very interesting morning ahead.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Will be waiting to see the pitch report today. If it looks like a flat track will predict a double century from smith. Anything other than that and he'll score single figures.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thought yesterday was arguably Symonds' best test knock, given the situation, the attack and his mud form of late. Despite the way it ended with the terrible shot, he looks like he's got his mojo back to me.
Agreed. Exactly what Australia needed at the time.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
You've got to forgive AB for being a bit mentally scarred too. He spent some time in Carrickfergus, Northern Ireland.
What's the significance of that? One of my teammates is considering going there for the Northern summer. What's the deal?

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I agree. I'm no Symonds fan but it was a good innings under the circumstances, and definitely one of his best in tests. That pull shot he played off Ntini when the ball was barely short of a length was something else.

SA to be 7/256 at stumps.