• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa In Australia

Ernest

U19 12th Man
Agreed. Best pound for pound batsman. Just wish there was a wee bit of humility in his list of adjectives.
Mate there wasn't a lot of humility in the Don either but no-one holds that against him.

Punter isn't really liked universally in Australia most people were shocked when he was chosen over Warnie or Gilchrist.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rough day Burgey? Not like you to get wound up like this.
Stressed leading to Xmas mate :).

Just ****s me when people say things like that. The players, especially the captains, get asked these things by journos at pressers, and it's part of their job to answer. What do we expect them to say FFS?

I think sometimes we always get the impression these guys contrive everything they say and do in the lead up to a series. Sometimes I'm sure they do, but for the most part I don't think they do. I think they get asked questions and answer them as honestly as possible (there are excpetions of course, like McGrath making his predictions every series, and also targetting certain players).

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Arguably the most nonsensical post I've read of yours, and that's saying something.

By that reckoning, no one should say a word, ever, before any match, about their prospects or what they're looking forward to in playing their opponents.

"Ricky, you're Australia's captain, and we're about to play the number 2 side in the world. How do you think the series will go, given what we know about SA, and how you hitting them?"

"Sorry mate, better not say in case I fail. The mind games will come back and haunt me".

Absurd.
You say that you are playing the 2nd best side but you are still the side to beat as you are the No1 side. And that you will play a tough game and no quarter will be given........no need for the mind games and other unnecessary chit-chat. But I guess the papers need something more interesting than that and Ponting is more than ready to oblige.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Stressed leading to Xmas mate :).

Just ****s me when people say things like that. The players, especially the captains, get asked these things by journos at pressers, and it's part of their job to answer. What do we expect them to say FFS?

I think sometimes we always get the impression these guys contrive everything they say and do in the lead up to a series. Somethime I'm sure they do, but for the most part I don't think they do. I think they get asked questions and answer them as honestly as possible (there are excpetions of course, like McGrath making his predictions every series, and also targetting certain players).
Yeah I agree with you but life's too short to worry about a bit of rival sniping.

Burgey

You say that you are playing the 2nd best side but you are still the side to beat as you are the No1 side. And that you will play a tough game and no quarter will be given........no need for the mind games and other unnecessary chit-chat. But I guess the papers need something more interesting than that and Ponting is more than ready to oblige.
Honestly, what do you think was inappropriate? FFS, he could have laid a golden carpet at Smith's feet and you'd still carry on. It's embarrassing the way people carry on here with the Ponting hate. Sure you might want him not to do well but honestly, it's way personal at times, and at other times people like you blow things he says completely out of proportion.

If Smith fails in the first innings, I look forward to your identical post concerning him, given the "mind games" with the "playing without fear", and "our players have learned" etc.

pup11

International Coach
That was a beauty from Harris, Day 1 and there is already some turn out there for Harris, so Krejza too should go well too.

Burgey

Has anyone else noticed that in the ads at the bottom of the page for the IQ test, Ponting's IQ is supposedly 121? Maybe they've left out a decimal point.

Anyway, at the top of the page, it says in another ad it's 112.

What's happened to cause the sudden increase? Anyone?

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Honestly, what do you think was inappropriate? FFS, he could have laid a golden carpet at Smith's feet and you'd still carry on. It's embarrassing the way people carry on here with the Ponting hate. Sure you might want him not to do well but honestly, it's way personal at times, and at other times people like you blow things he says completely out of proportion.

If Smith fails in the first innings, I look forward to your identical post concerning him, given the "mind games" with the "playing without fear", and "our players have learned" etc.
I don't hate Ponting, just don't like some of the stuff he says and sometimes does. Smith so far I don't think has said anything more than the bit about Warney giving him the in-house secrets of the Aussies. If he loses the series expect me to say something about him looking foolish as well.

Ernest

U19 12th Man
Has anyone else noticed that in the ads at the bottom of the page for the IQ test, Ponting's IQ is supposedly 121? Maybe they've left out a decimal point.

Anyway, at the top of the page, it says in another ad it's 112.

What's happened to cause the sudden increase? Anyone?
I'd say it would struggle to be triple figures

Burgey

Have to say not a bad fight back after such a disastrous start. Good bounce in the wicket was well.

Morkel was impressive - how quick would he be if he used his front arm?

Hayden and Hussey both undone by bounce, Ponting more so by angle. Thought Hayden's was the worst shot of the three by a fair margin.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Is Mark Taylor a bit more pink/red than his tie or is that just my cheap telly acting up.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Have to say not a bad fight back after such a disastrous start. Good bounce in the wicket was well.

Morkel was impressive - how quick would he be if he used his front arm?

Hayden and Hussey both undone by bounce, Ponting more so by angle. Thought Hayden's was the worst shot of the three by a fair margin.
Thought that both Hayden and Ponting got good deliveries whilst Hussey's shot was pretty rank

Morkel is an absolutely sensational prospect - people who rave about Ishant need to check this guy out because his additional height and pace makes him the best youngster in the world IMO

Needless to say, SA have done really well. The wicket looks very good at this stage and 1 wicket down at lunch would've been par

However, given the fact that Harris is no more than a roller, the fact that he turned a ball square (and a bit came out of the wicket with it) does not bode well for the last day