• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official England in India***

Martin1

Cricket Spectator
I'll guess that England will bat another 30 overs and set India around 420-430 leaving roughly 35-40 overs left in the day.
Sound about right. That will virtually take them to tea though. They might need longer than that. It will be a difficult decision. Needs a lightning 50 from Flintoff but not sure how lilely that is seeing is I can hardly ever remember him doing that.

James

Cricket Web Owner
They might need longer than that. It will be a difficult decision. Needs a lightning 50 from Flintoff but not sure how lilely that is seeing is I can hardly ever remember him doing that.
Surely setting 400+ is more than enough? I thought I read somewhere that the highest chase in India in the 4th innings was 230 odd.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Can't watch this, why is Strauss's innings so good?

Eidt: forgot about the first innings hundred. Congrats to him!

TheRedButton

Cricket Spectator
what ever may the history say ...i am sure england will not leave any thing for chance
No, I agree, which is why I'm not sure they'll leave themselves enough time to win, especially if the Indian top 5 bat like we know they can.

(which in itself is a bit of a contradictoary statement!)

biased indian

International Coach
indias only hope is now if dravid find form he can hold one end up..and some one else who can stay long is dhoni....but dont see the first thing happen and second even if it happens will be too late ...any way hope we can revive all at mohali...

steds

Hall of Fame Member
History is just that. Strauss and Collingwood have proved that it's still a decent batting pitch. Can't see why India shouldn't be able to get something out of this Test.

TheRedButton

Cricket Spectator
Anyone know off-hand, how many innings victories have happened at Chennai?
I'll answer my own question...

Australia won 77 runs India v Australia 24 Dec 1969 Test # 669
England won 202 runs India v England 10 Feb 1934 Test # 232
England won 9 wickets India v England 13 Jan 1985 Test # 1008
England won 200 runs India v England 14 Jan 1977 Test # 793
India won 4 wickets India v England 12 Jan 1973 Test # 708
India won 8 wickets India v West Indies 17 Oct 2002 Test # 1618
India won 179 runs India v Australia 6 Mar 1998 Test # 1405
India won 255 runs India v West Indies 11 Jan 1988 Test # 1089
India won 3 wickets India v West Indies 12 Jan 1979 Test # 841
India won 100 runs India v West Indies 11 Jan 1975 Test # 752
India won inns & 22 runs India v England 11 Feb 1993 Test # 1213
India won 216 runs India v New Zealand 26 Nov 1976 Test # 787
India won inns & 8 runs India v England 6 Feb 1952 Test # 348
India won 2 wickets India v Australia 18 Mar 2001 Test # 1539
India won 10 wickets India v Pakistan 15 Jan 1980 Test # 869
Pakistan won 12 runs India v Pakistan 28 Jan 1999 Test # 1442
West Indies won inns & 193 runs India v West Indies 27 Jan 1949 Test # 310

When teams win, they invariably seem to do so by big margins. This ground doesn't seem to produce close results (when there is one).

TheRedButton

Cricket Spectator
We did throw away a game aganist pakistan ....by how much i dont remeber exactly less than 15 runs sure

and the famous tied test
This one?

Test no. 1442
Pakistan in India Test Series - 1st Test
India v Pakistan 1998/99 season
Played at MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chepauk, Chennai, on 28,29,30,31 January 1999 (5-day match)

Result Pakistan won by 12 runs

It's definitely a ground more inclined towards results though. Even in the small amount of tests it has hosted.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
History is just that. Strauss and Collingwood have proved that it's still a decent batting pitch. Can't see why India shouldn't be able to get something out of this Test.
Yeah, whilst it still has to be done and no means a certainty, it is certainly possible for India to bat 3-4 sessions to save the game.