• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official West Indies in New Zealand***

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
Seems silly that it has to be the first day.
I think it makes sense in that both teams understand the rules of the game before the game starts. It will affect whether you bat or bowl first, and how you bat. If Gayle had known that day 2 would be washed out then he probably have batted and tried to set a total as the only real way of winning the game. Or if one team had batted in the evening session and batted thinking they need to get 200 less to avoid the follow on, then it rains the next day, and suddenly they need to get to 150 to avoid the follow on, then its an unfair situation.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I think it makes sense in that both teams understand the rules of the game before the game starts. It will affect whether you bat or bowl first, and how you bat. If Gayle had known that day 2 would be washed out then he probably have batted and tried to set a total as the only real way of winning the game. Or if one team had batted in the evening session and batted thinking they need to get 200 less to avoid the follow on, then it rains the next day, and suddenly they need to get to 150 to avoid the follow on, then its an unfair situation.
We won the toss.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Terrible decision for Ramdin. Reminds me of the problem English FC teams found with the referral system when it was trialed here. Umpires don't want to correct the decisions of their friends in the middle.

Nutter

U19 Debutant
How does Hawkeye work anyway? Using cameras to find known points, and then extrapolating? Or is it all just vector maths based on a replay?

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Terrible decision for Ramdin. Reminds me of the problem English FC teams found with the referral system when it was trialed here. Umpires don't want to correct the decisions of their friends in the middle.
It'd be extremely interesting if the debutant Indian umpire had given Ramdin not out, and Vettori had referred the decision - would Rudi have given it out then? I'd probably saw there was enough doubt on the replays he was provided to say no, so to an extent I agree with your post.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
How does Hawkeye work anyway? Using cameras to find known points, and then extrapolating? Or is it all just vector maths based on a replay?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sportacademy/hi/sa/cricket/features/newsid_3625000/3625559.stm

"It uses six specially placed cameras around the ground to track the path of the ball, from when it was released from the bowler's hand right up until when it's dead.

The images captured by the camera are then turned into a 3D image by a special computer to show how the ball will travel on an imaginary cricket pitch."

And http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawk-Eye

"All Hawk-Eye systems are based on the principles of triangulation using the visual images and timing data provided by at least four high speed video cameras located at different locations and angles around the area of play. [1] The system rapidly processes the video feeds by a high speed video processor and ball tracker. A data store contains a predefined model of the playing area and includes data on the rules of the game.

In each frame sent from each camera, the system identifies the group of pixels which corresponds to the image of the ball. It then calculates for each frame the 3D position of the ball by comparing its position on at least 2 of the physically separate cameras at the same instant in time. A succession of frames builds up a record of the path along which the ball has traveled. It can also predict, using the laws of physics, the future flight path of the ball and where it will interact with any of the playing area features already programmed into the database. The system can also interpret these interactions to decide infringements of the rules of the game. [1]

The system generates a graphic image of the ball path and playing area which means that information can be provided to judges, television viewers or coaching staff in near real time."

Last edited:

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Ok. Just wanted an unbiased view. Been some uproar over his selection on this WIndian cricket board I'm on. Would be hard to get an objective view there.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Find it amazing that Taylor hasn't got a FC 50.
Plays his shots but sometimes one too many. Powell has one though. That was one of the rare moments he used his brain when batting. Did it when it needed to be done for Jamaica. Helped in a win IIRC.

Nutter

U19 Debutant