• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official West Indies in New Zealand***

99*

International Debutant
Haven't seen much of today but caught Ryder's dismissal then - disappointing to see another New Zealander get so close to a century but fail to cash in. Looking good in the Vettori vs Franklin bet with 99* at the moment though am probably a bit fortunate given the mode of Franklin's dismissal!
:blowup:

Days of Grace

International Captain
Vettori: c: Mills b: Crozier

Mills not telling him that a man had gone out to deep cover; Cozier putting a quality jinx on him in the commentary box.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
That's asking a lot from our bowlers I reckon.
I doubt the windies will get a middle ground score. Even if they do, we don't necessarily need to force them to follow on. A lead of a hundred, a 2nd innings bash of 200, and then 80 overs on the last day could well be enough to win it.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I doubt the windies will get a middle ground score. Even if they do, we don't necessarily need to force them to follow on. A lead of a hundred, a 2nd innings bash of 200, and then 80 overs on the last day could well be enough to win it.
Yeah you could be right but 450 would have been very comfortable.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Yeah you could be right but 450 would have been very comfortable.
Couldn't ever expect that IMO. I still really wonder why we play O'Brien, Gillespie, Mills, Franklin, Vettori when our main problem in Australia was batting. Bowling over-load here.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Couldn't ever expect that IMO. I still really wonder why we play O'Brien, Gillespie, Mills, Franklin, Vettori when our main problem in Australia was batting. Bowling over-load here.
Oram's injury was the only reason for that I guess.

Think we could've expected it at the climax of the McCullum Ryder partnership, but after that? Nah.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
They're being played because Oram's injured. Vettori and Franklin are both good enough to be test match number 7's, Mills is a perfectly qualified number 9 and Gillespie is a decent 10, with O'Brien being a passable 11. It's a much stronger tail than what was present in Australia.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Oram's injury was the only reason for that I guess.

Think we could've expected it at the climax of the McCullum Ryder partnership, but after that? Nah.
But replace Oram with Mills? :blink: Surely it called for another batsman in the squad as we had 3 seamers anyway in O'Brien, Gillespie and Franklin with Ryder for a few overs and Vettori. One of Mills, Gillespie, O'Brien and Franklin aren't going to bowl many overs.

Athlai

Not Terrible
But replace Oram with Mills? :blink: Surely it called for another batsman in the squad as we had 3 seamers anyway in O'Brien, Gillespie and Franklin with Ryder for a few overs and Vettori.
I think it shows a certain bit of worry about Franklins bowling.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Noticed Baker's listed as fast on cricinfo. How quick is he?

Intrigued about what he has that would earn him a place in a Test side.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I think it shows a certain bit of worry about Franklins bowling.
Yeah it sure does. Franklin is a number 7 for the future, but right now I'd say he's more a No 8 or 9. Especially when you look at his test career to date. IMO, if he can't bowl 100%, you shouldn't select him. He can't bat as well as he can bowl.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Noticed Baker's listed as fast on cricinfo. How quick is he?

Intrigued about what he has that would earn him a place in a Test side.
Not sure why he's listed as fast, because he's struggled to get it through at 135 km/h.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah it sure does. Franklin is a number 7 for the future, but right now I'd say he's more a No 8 or 9. Especially when you look at his test career to date. IMO, if he can't bowl 100%, you shouldn't select him. He can't bat as well as he can bowl.
Even a Franklin at 90% offers more to the attack than anoth RFM/RMF.