• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official England in India***

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Turns out Richard Johnson was numero uno against Zimbabwe in taking 2 wickets in his first over in test cricket. Obviously though his feat doesnt count because Zimbabwe didnt deserve to be classified test class.
Haha, amazed I forgot that and even more amazed that two sets of statisticians forgot it. Unless, of course, someone actually has done the decent thing and retrospectively removed Test status from every Zimbabwe game from 2003 onwards.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, amazed I forgot that and even more amazed that two sets of statisticians forgot it. Unless, of course, someone actually has done the decent thing and retrospectively removed Test status from every Zimbabwe game from 2003 onwards.
Were they both lbws as well? I seem to remember a lot of those in that innings.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If the reports about the pitch are to be believed then I'd be happy to see India match our first innings score. But now, given the early breakthroughs, I'd love to see us roll them over for 150. Go England, best team in the world :cool:
Interesting to see Tendulkar playing that one counter-attacking stroke. I wonder if we'll see him and Laxman go on the counter-attack the way they occasionally do.

If so, they'd probably be best advised to see Flintoff off first.

Precambrian

Banned
Interesting to see Tendulkar playing that one counter-attacking stroke. I wonder if we'll see him and Laxman go on the counter-attack the way they occasionally do.

If so, they'd probably be best advised to see Flintoff off first.
Spinners, flat wicket = Fodder for these two. Fred will be a different story altogether.

tooextracool

International Coach
Interestingly, Dravid has scored 2 50s and a 35 in 3 innings since his return to the domestic Ranji season after the Australia tour. Probably a reason why hes still in the side.

Precambrian

Banned
Interestingly, Dravid has scored 2 50s and a 35 in 3 innings since his return to the domestic Ranji season after the Australia tour. Probably a reason why hes still in the side.
Yeah he played a couple of useful knocks in the Ranji Trophy, but none of them displayed his ability to stay long at the crease, and such knocks worry because they show the guy is not going through a temporary blip.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Good come-back by Swann.

Presumably KP had given him a bit more protection after SRT's maximum?
Yeah, that and Laxman is much less of a player of that slogged-sweep than Tendulkar, who's been brilliant at it all his career.

Unusual to see him duck into one though, fortunately that hit the arm-guard.

Precambrian

Banned
Good come-back by Swann.

Presumably KP had given him a bit more protection after SRT's maximum?
Swann is much better bowling to Laxman, atleast early in his innings, than Tendulkar. Tendulkar of the old would have probably carved into him from the earliest, now he is content to take singles and rotate the strike.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Spinners, flat wicket = Fodder for these two. Fred will be a different story altogether.
And so what does Pietersen do... take him off. :mellow:

Slightly odd TSTL. Can't avoid the conclusion that I'd have given Flintoff a 5-over spell after Tea or so.

And unusually poor fielding from Anderson.

Precambrian

Banned
And so what does Pietersen do... take him off. :mellow:

Slightly odd TSTL. Can't avoid the conclusion that I'd have given Flintoff a 5-over spell after Tea or so.

And unusually poor fielding from Anderson.
Really odd. Finger-crossed I guess than tactical. Flintoff is >>>>>>>>> any English bowler when pressure's up. With an offspinner on the other side, pressure has to be put at this end.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ha, not one of those shoulder before wickets again. Watch it Tendlya boy!
I always forget - was that infamous one off McGrath in 1999/2000 actually out or was it a poor decision?

That was still way too high for lbw but it wasn't short enough to be ducking really.

Precambrian

Banned
I always forget - was that infamous one off McGrath in 1999/2000 actually out or was it a poor decision?

That was still way too high for lbw but it wasn't short enough to be ducking really.
Tbh, I am at a loss for the naivety of the umpire to assume that Tendulkar was shorter than the stumps while crouching. The ball was gaining height when it stuck him. Was a not out, but then McG has that ability to conjure decisions out of the umpire with his terrific appeal.

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=P_efi3p5jQ4