• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official England in India***

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And this pitch looks to have a fairly high clay content. Hardly ever see these sorts of soil compositions in the UK. I remember a really red square in Motera in 2001/02, haven't really seen one this red since.

tooextracool

International Coach
Presumably KP had given him a bit more protection after SRT's maximum?
Happened the very next ball, put a fielder on the boundary to prevent the slog sweep. Im not sure I agree with that because I would want to encourage him to play more shots like that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tbh, I am at a loss for the naivety of the umpire to assume that Tendulkar was shorter than the stumps while crouching. The ball was gaining height when it stuck him. Was a not out, but then McG has that ability to conjure decisions out of the umpire with his terrific appeal.

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=P_efi3p5jQ4
You know, you had me there for a second - thought you were on about "Melbourne Cricket Ground". :p I was absolutely certain it was Adelaide Oval.

tooextracool

International Coach
Agreed. I'd have preferred to see Anderson have another go before the ball gets too old.
Anderson has been head and shoulders our best bowler today so its hard to see why anyone else is bowling ahead of him. Shastri mentioned that he has the knack of dismissing Tendulkar which is true, not least because he can bowl the outswinger to good effect.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Happened the very next ball, put a fielder on the boundary to prevent the slog sweep. Im not sure I agree with that because I would want to encourage him to play more shots like that.
I don't, TBH. Can't see Tendulkar making enough of an error with that shot to be caught close-in. He plays it so well and always has, if he doesn't hit it for six he's almost certain to hit it out somewhere into the deep.

I'd much prefer see him made to think about playing other shots.

Precambrian

Banned
I don't, TBH. Can't see Tendulkar making enough of an error with that shot to be caught close-in. He plays it so well and always has, if he doesn't hit it for six he's almost certain to hit it out somewhere into the deep.

I'd much prefer see him made to think about playing other shots.
Yeah, but Tendulkar in his early stage of the innings is vulnerable and a tightly packed field is much more pressurising than having a deep sq leg. England are basically repeating the failed Aus tactic trying to contain Tendulkar by denying him boundaries here.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, but Tendulkar in his early stage of the innings is vulnerable and a tightly packed field is much more pressurising than having a deep sq leg. England are basically repeating the failed Aus tactic trying to contain Tendulkar by denying him boundaries here.
I'm never really sure which is the best way to go with Tendulkar. There are some shots that he's so good at that you're essentially just gifting runs by encouraging him to play them. That slogged-sweep is one. If you're attempting to encourage him to cover-drive that's a slightly different matter.

On a slightly different note, it's really rather a shame to see Dravid's really pretty wretched form of the last 2 years. I so hope he can manage one last big one before he retires, whenever that may be.

Precambrian

Banned
I'm never really sure which is the best way to go with Tendulkar. There are some shots that he's so good at that you're essentially just gifting runs by encouraging him to play them. That slogged-sweep is one. If you're attempting to encourage him to cover-drive that's a slightly different matter.

On a slightly different note, it's really rather a shame to see Dravid's really pretty wretched form of the last 2 years. I so hope he can manage one last big one before he retires, whenever that may be.
One thing I noted was that don't gift Tendulkar easy singles upfront. A strategy beautifully executed by Sri Lankans last time. There were fielders all around him and even though Tendulkar was scoring at almost a 100 SR against Mendis via boundaries, he was really never comfortable. A man of his genius can be trapped easier by creating non-existing demons in his mind.

Gutted to see Dravid's form. Really painful. Hopefully he will take a calm evening's thought and really decide as to whether to go out on his terms or be chucked out.

adharcric

International Coach
Unless he digs himself out of this hole, Dravid should be dropped (please retire) at the end of the series. Given that it's only a two-test series, he should definitely get both. No more chances after that, we have prospects waiting in the wings.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, I think David Steele's needed replacing for a while now, so I might as well be up-to-date for a change.
Not sure I've ever seen you use a current player before TBH.

Was only about a year or so ago that you started using avatars at all, with the Beatles anniversary, and I think Steele was the first cricketer you'd used too?