• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official England in India***

tooextracool

International Coach
For all the talk about Bell's inadequacy, it was Pietersen who played the worst inning yesterday. If there was ever a case where someone deserved dropping on one performance it would be his, with the Indian side having genuine reason to be aggrieved for not having him at least 2 times before his eventual dismissal. All this while he scored all of 4 runs.

As far as Bell is concerned, its all fine and good to suggest dropping him, but there has to be a suggested replacement long term replacement for him. Shah isnt the solution, hes 4 years his senior and its not like he setting the domestic scene on fire. At best even if Shah turned out to be a serviceable option, we would start to see diminishing returns in less than 3 years. Not sure if that is really worth kicking someone like Bell out of the side for. If there is a replacement for Bell then it is one Samit Patel who I really hope jumps the line for a test spot before its too late.

tooextracool

International Coach
And you are perfectly entitled to draw that conclusion. I personally will suggest that Bell is technically proficient, but still some way from being classed as a top player in the world. I believe he will reach a level somewhat higher than less-than-mediocre. He will adopt a strategy that enables him to score runs on most surfaces. I have no expert insight to back all this up, it is just a hunch I have with Bell.
Personally I think Bell will develop into a fairly adequate player in the long run. Hes only 26 and invariably anyone of his talent whos given a long and extended run in the side will end up with a decent record and go through a prime when he is the real deal. However, expectations on him are higher given his status as a young prodigy and unless he goes on to average near 50, he will always be looked upon as a disappointment.

tooextracool

International Coach
Lawrence Booth explains Bell's problems in his article on Bell as one of Wisden's Cricketers of the Year in 2008 when he says :

"Now he wants to cement his position at first drop in Test and 50-over cricket in the hope of fulfilling a childhood dream and playing 100 Tests. Bell has the shots and the defensive technique required of a No. 3, who has to be highly adaptable in his responses. What he lacks - and it was apparent in England's Test series in Sri Lanka as well - is the knack or nous of converting his fifties into centuries. Running quick singles and rotating the strike, even when he is well set, have to be part of the solution."

Sums him up for me.
Bell does have technical issues. He drives away from his body and it occasionally results in drives that go in the air. I dont think its a serious technical issue but he doesnt have an impervious technique either.

tooextracool

International Coach
All true, of course. I wouldn't say Strauss and Cook should just try to replicate Sehwag and Gambhir, more that the role of openers in English cricket does not make batting in India any easier, and ideally the best time to attack is early in the day. As a result, 120/1 after 50 overs is a more dangerous situation than it seems.
Its only dangerous when players bat like rubbish. 120/1 from 50 overs was a perfectly good start, What we saw yesterday was the best we will see from Strauss, block, block and then when the bowler bowls to his strengths he put them away. Of course, when bowlers actually bowl well and not his strengths he struggles to get the ball off the square.
At the end of the day we had poor bowling with the exception of Zaheer and poor batting with the exception of Strauss and consequently a poor advertisement for test cricket with the result that India is now on top .

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
For all the talk about Bell's inadequacy, it was Pietersen who played the worst inning yesterday. If there was ever a case where someone deserved dropping on one performance it would be his, with the Indian side having genuine reason to be aggrieved for not having him at least 2 times before his eventual dismissal. All this while he scored all of 4 runs.

As far as Bell is concerned, its all fine and good to suggest dropping him, but there has to be a suggested replacement long term replacement for him. Shah isnt the solution, hes 4 years his senior and its not like he setting the domestic scene on fire. At best even if Shah turned out to be a serviceable option, we would start to see diminishing returns in less than 3 years. Not sure if that is really worth kicking someone like Bell out of the side for. If there is a replacement for Bell then it is one Samit Patel who I really hope jumps the line for a test spot before its too late.
No, I'd certainly not be dropping Bell any time soon. Not convinced Shah being preferred to him is a good idea (though I would like to see Shah three and Bell five\six). But as I say, Bell is simply losing my faith in him bit by bit.

And yeah, Pietersen's innings yesterday was unbelievably poor. Let's hope it's merely because of the amount of stuff he's had to carry on his shoulders of late and the lack of practice. I'd be hoping I won't see him play that badly again for some time.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Its only dangerous when players bat like rubbish. 120/1 from 50 overs was a perfectly good start, What we saw yesterday was the best we will see from Strauss, block, block and then when the bowler bowls to his strengths he put them away. Of course, when bowlers actually bowl well and not his strengths he struggles to get the ball off the square.
At the end of the day we had poor bowling with the exception of Zaheer and poor batting with the exception of Strauss and consequently a poor advertisement for test cricket with the result that India is now on top .
Maybe, but it was reverse swing that enabled Zaheer's superb spell. 120/1 from 50 i'd take every time, but it's not as comfortable as it appears. In England when you've got thirty overs of old, dead ball ahead of you there's an opportunity to accelarate, in India that's not the case- depending on the opposition you could be entering the most dangerous phase of play.

Precambrian

Banned
Rahul Dravid :( Sad to see the disastrous dip in his batting as well as fielding. India would do better to atleast try and develop a good slip catcher out of the present youngie group.

Precambrian

Banned
Dravid needed to have retired instead of Ganguly who was in good form.
DWTA. Ganguly's time was up early and he merely got the opportunity to retire on a high, which to his credit he did. There is no way expecting him to continue in the same vein as he did in the Aussie series.

However I think however I try to deny it, Dravid's time is up. Though I still believe he has it in him to produce a magnificient swan song and retire on his own terms. He deserves to.

Burgey

Is there a rain delay or something? You could fire a 12 gauge in this thread and barely hit a post, and this on day 2 of the first test.

What's doing?

Burgey

When Tests match threads on this site start getting quiet, I get worried. :p
AWTA.

Hating that this series is on Setanta here - even if you have pay TV, you have to pay an extra amount permonth for it (I think it's about $15-20).

When you're already shelling out $100 pm for Fox, I reckon that's a bit rich, especially as Setanta is a channel on Foxtel here anyway.

Precambrian

Banned
Love this pitch. This is how the Chennai pitch should be. And I know it means India could be bundled out. Don't care TBH.
SS, you watching the game? Because if you are, you'd be genuinely worried about the pitch being flat. England have played so far 114 overs, and had they cared to score at a better run rate, which was easily possible on this pitch without considerable additional risk, they'd be well above 300 by now.

Though this pitch is certainly better than pitch in the Chennai Test. But still nothing in it to expect India to be bundled out cheaply. Unless, they bat really badly

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
SS, you watching the game? Because if you are, you'd be genuinely worried about the pitch being flat.
Yes, I am. That ball to Swann bounced a lot. If you're Harmison and you put the ball in the right area, you'll get some variable bounce. It only takes a hint, and already, depending on where the ball is, you're getting more than that.

biased indian

International Coach
Yes, I am. That ball to Swann bounced a lot. If you're Harmison and you put the ball in the right area, you'll get some variable bounce. It only takes a hint, and already, depending on where the ball is, you're getting more than that.
harmison to ball one wide in the first over

one ball did similarly in the post lunch session yesterday to bell ..its was doosra from bhajji was it the same case with swann

Precambrian

Banned
Oh yes, but also note that Bhajji's topspinners invariably gets more bounce than usual, and that one happened to hit a crack. I doubt Harmy would hit it everytime or even regularly to trouble the Indians.

However to repeat myself, it's a better pitch than the marble floor of SA test.