• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official England in India***

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
From Cricinfo:

"The reason for the poor attendance is that people have work to do, for goodness sake, and don't have time anymore to goof off for five days. This isn't India of the 1990s where one can conveniently develop a stomach ache on match days. Jobs are hard to come by, layoffs are in the air, there is a recession on and watching Dravid make 10 runs off 10,000 balls isn't exactly on anyone's priority, except for retired fans and cricket hacks in denial who are paid to watch Test cricket. Test cricket is on the death bed. Wake up, get real, smell the south Indian Kappee - and concentrate on Twenty20, the real saviour of cricket."
That's probably right to an extent, but there are over a billion people. Surely it's not much to ask several 10s of thousands to front on any given day of international cricket?

Anyone know if this is on Fox in Australia?

Precambrian

Banned
That's probably right to an extent, but there are over a billion people. Surely it's not much to ask several 10s of thousands to front on any given day of international cricket?

Anyone know if this is on Fox in Australia?
These 10s of 1000s have their families and have to be fed, and so need to work.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bloody hell, it has been quiet. Hopefully in a Test where there was some play anticipated (I didn't bother getting-up at 3:45 because I'd thrown the lot in with the assumption that there'd be no play) it might be a bit livelier.

Anyway, 50 for Strauss, well played.

pup11

International Coach
Good stuff from England this, but i guess its a flat surface therefore i expect England to make close to 500 runs and then i expect India to do the same, pretty early to say this but imo this test could just prove to be a high scoring draw.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Good stuff from England this, but i guess its a flat surface therefore i expect England to make close to 500 runs and then i expect India to do the same, pretty early to say this but imo this test could just prove to be a high scoring draw.
Yeah, that does look a perfectly decent possibility, but don't ever bank against England's ability to fall in a heap, quickly.

If these two can keep going it'll be huge. A 200-run stand would be a really good way to dispel the notion that they can't open together. Whether they're both good enough to do that now remains to be seen though. They won't, though, I don't think get that many better opportunties.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, how predictable was that? If Cook's faulty technique isn't getting him out early, he gives it away for 60 or 70.

tooextracool

International Coach
Consolidation has never been a buzz word for England, but heres a chance for them to build on a good start. However, past experience with England suggests that 1 wicket brings 3.

pup11

International Coach
Consolidation has never been a buzz word for England, but heres a chance for them to build on a good start. However, past experience with England suggests that 1 wicket brings 3.
Haha.... that's true, but the wickets seems too lifeless for something like that to happen, English batting is also decent enough, and btw expecting Collingwood to make up for his poor form in the ODI series with a good showing in the test series.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I didn't expect this, so credit to the openers for proving me wrong in a good way for once. Apparently there was an issue with Straus being given not out whne Dravid may not have caught the ball cleanly?

Wuth a track this easy you feel we need 500+ to be safe. Or will the weather make sure there'sbo chance of a result anyway?

tooextracool

International Coach
I didn't expect this, so credit to the openers for proving me wrong in a good way for once. Apparently there was an issue with Straus being given not out whne Dravid may not have caught the ball cleanly?
Was a question of whether ball hit the ground after hitting the bat. Replays were inconcolusive as the ball appeared to hit the bat and the ground in the same frame.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
There was a bump ball that was sent upstairs. Was never out and the correct decision was made.