• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official England in India***

Precambrian

Banned
Just noticed Graeme Swann has 432 FC wickets. Is this the most wickets taken by a bowler prior to a test debut?
Far from it. Tich Freeman (I think) had taken 950 wickets before test debut. Udal took 600+ wickets before test debut (not sure someone can make it clear)

Edit - Turns out to be James Southerton who had 1527 wickets before he debuted.

Some other contenders include Ewart Astrill (1504), Ian Thompson (1497)

A discussion on this can be found on this page,
http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1674189&highlight=freeman#post1674189

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, there were hundreds in days gone by. Plenty of bowlers took massive hauls without even getting a look-in, either.

Athlai

Not Terrible
From Cricinfo:

"The reason for the poor attendance is that people have work to do, for goodness sake, and don't have time anymore to goof off for five days. This isn't India of the 1990s where one can conveniently develop a stomach ache on match days. Jobs are hard to come by, layoffs are in the air, there is a recession on and watching Dravid make 10 runs off 10,000 balls isn't exactly on anyone's priority, except for retired fans and cricket hacks in denial who are paid to watch Test cricket. Test cricket is on the death bed. Wake up, get real, smell the south Indian Kappee - and concentrate on Twenty20, the real saviour of cricket."

Precambrian

Banned
Haha terrible indeed. can't fault people for not turning up. There are more policemen than number of seats. You can't take in water or food, and have to rely on the poor facilities in the stadium. And no mobile phones.

Atreyu

School Boy/Girl Captain
From Cricinfo:

"The reason for the poor attendance is that people have work to do, for goodness sake, and don't have time anymore to goof off for five days. This isn't India of the 1990s where one can conveniently develop a stomach ache on match days. Jobs are hard to come by, layoffs are in the air, there is a recession on and watching Dravid make 10 runs off 10,000 balls isn't exactly on anyone's priority, except for retired fans and cricket hacks in denial who are paid to watch Test cricket. Test cricket is on the death bed. Wake up, get real, smell the south Indian Kappee - and concentrate on Twenty20, the real saviour of cricket."
Its all opinion but I disagree strongly with that. I would much rather see a test match over a T20. The only T20 there should be is the World Cup and 2 Max per tour, None of this IPL ****

Test>ODI>>>>>>>T20

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
From Cricinfo:

Some fair points...

Must say I watching the New Zealand game. The Indian Australian series bored me ****less.

biased indian

International Coach
hmmm think we should be happy with any thing less than 400

as far as the crowd goes will get more people in when India bat and on Saturday and Sunday

Precambrian

Banned
I surely hope not. So far only 3 or 4 deliveries at the maximum have troubled the batsmen. Lucky these two are defensive. Someone like Hayden would have carted on this surface.