• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official West Indies in New Zealand***

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
Don't think umpires are officially allowed to use Hawkeye in their decisions, are they?
I watched the whole thing. He didn't get hawkeye, he got where the ball pitched, and where it hit him, then the camera rotated around and showed the height etc. Seemed well thought out, just took way too long.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Ah well, my general point still stands. Even without Hawkeye, the decision took far too long. And, to be fair, JimmyGS, they did actually show the Hawkeye, and the measurement ruler (from the side-on shot) during the coverage. Obviously, Koertzen didn't get that feed though.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ah well, my general point still stands. Even without Hawkeye, the decision took far too long. And, to be fair, JimmyGS, they did actually show the Hawkeye, and the measurement ruler (from the side-on shot) during the coverage. Obviously, Koertzen didn't get that feed though.
I think he did, because they didn't do the full Hawkeye with the projection of where the ball would have gone until after the decision had been made. I guess that's the bit they don't want the umpire to see.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
Ah well, my general point still stands.

Even without Hawkeye, the decision took far too long.

And, to be fair, JimmyGS, they did actually show the Hawkeye, and the measurement ruler (from the side-on shot) during the coverage.

Obviously, Koertzen didn't get that feed though.
Correct, correct, correct and correct. Wasn't arguing any of those points.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Basically, people are moaning about the referral system because it made the right decision?

Makes sense.

Craig

World Traveller
I guess that is the problem then. If you are going to do it, you can't rush it or otherwise it would be a waste of time (excuse the pun) doing it,

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
A couple of things:

New Zealanders sure have mastered the art of choking before a maiden Test century.

Flynn, Oram, McCullum, Vettori, Ryder, and How all falling in the 90s in search of a maiden ton, off the top of my head. Add Redmond falling in the 80s when well set at Adelaide. And thats just the current/recent squad.

Secondly, why even risk the possibility of bad light? Surely an 11am start is safer?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Secondly, why even risk the possibility of bad light? Surely an 11am start is safer?
Nah. As the commentators said, at a similar time last year, they were playing golf until about 9.15pm last year. It was simply a case of excess cloud cover this evening.

Looks a lovely ground to play cricket at
It's delightful - I managed a few games of senior and high school cricket on it before it was revamped. The potential was always there, but they just had to make a bit more room.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think he did, because they didn't do the full Hawkeye with the projection of where the ball would have gone until after the decision had been made. I guess that's the bit they don't want the umpire to see.
Yeah, apparently it's only used up to the POI, to assess whether it pitched in line, hit in line etc, not "guessing" (for want of a better term) about whether it would have gone on to hit.