• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official West Indies in New Zealand***

S.P. Fleming

U19 Cricketer
Franklin is pretty much a given if fit, but McIntosh will replace who? Both have been pretty woeful openers.
NOT JAMIE HOW.

He has one of the best techniques in the country and can play some brutal shots. Just wait... he will come good.

I have a strange feeling that McIntosh is going to be another Bell or Cumming with blatent technical deficiencies not up the test level.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Hmm, McIntosh. In one sense I want him to do well and be a good opener because we desperately need it (plus it'll make me look like a genius with my left-hander call not long ago :ph34r: )but at the same time he seems to have a dodgy ability with regards to consistency.

Franklin though, so glad he's come back well. Was fearing that he'd be the next Darryl Tuffey in terms of coming back from an injury.

Flem274*

123/5
You heard it here first...McIntosh and Franklin are definately in the first test side.
Is this through your radio contacts mate?

I find it ironic coaches and the public want openers with good technique and we're picking Tim McIntosh, whom last time I saw him play relied heavily on his hand eye coordination and practically nothing else.

Did anyone see him bat yesterday? I'd be interested to know if he's made any changes. He seems to be a bit better mentally by being a bit more consistent.

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
That said, the team around him doesn't really change the fact that he averaged 34 in his debut series. Which isn't really that bad at all. Very good in fact.

It also quite clearly says 2003/04 next to the stats.
I meant when Fleming, Styris,etc came back there was no room for him no matter how well he played. Hamish MArshall was the one who was the most successful, so he got chosen later on. I think he scored a century in one game. I didnt look up the stats, just from memory.

Really is shocking to watch, even worse than Katich. Its hard to know exactly how to describe him.

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
Franklin should definitely be in and I heard Oram is fit and available on the news yesterday, so I guess Flynn or Fulton will have to go to accommodate Oram. One of the bowlers for Franklin.
I dont know if McIntosh will get in. He got a 70 odd against the West Indies but Redmond got an 80 odd against Australia. Id like to see a change but hopefully not either.

Flem274*

123/5
Franklin should definitely be in and I heard Oram is fit and available on the news yesterday, so I guess Flynn or Fulton will have to go to accommodate Oram. One of the bowlers for Franklin.
I dont know if McIntosh will get in. He got a 70 odd against the West Indies but Redmond got an 80 odd against Australia. Id like to see a change but hopefully not either.
Tim works for Radioport, so he may have heard something.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Squad's been named for the first test for NZ:

Jamie How
Tim McIntosh
Daniel Flynn
Ross Taylor
Jesse Ryder
James Franklin
Jacob Oram
Brendan McCullum
Daniel Vettori
Gillespie
Iain O Brien
Jeetan Patel

Word is Flynn at 3 and Ryder down to 5.

Flem274*

123/5

Jamie How
Tim McIntosh
Daniel Flynn
Ross Taylor
Jesse Ryder
James Franklin
Jacob Oram
Brendan McCullum
Daniel Vettori
Gillespie
Iain O Brien
Jeetan Patel

How did Gillespie-thrower and Patel get ahead of Martin? I don't rate Martin, but he's better than Gillespie. So is Southee.

I don't expect much from McIntosh, very inconsistent but we'll just have to wait and see.

The team I'd put on the park is fairly straightfoward.

Howitzer
McIntosh
Flynn (who will fail but never get dropped)
Taylor
Ryder
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Franklin
ugh...probably Gillespie
O'Brien

Predictions

McIntosh to get a hundred and a string of single figure scores

Flynn to stonewall for a nice bunch of 30s and 40s before getting owned again.

Franklin to be a gun.

O'Brien to get his first 5-fer.

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain

Jamie How
Tim McIntosh
Daniel Flynn
Ross Taylor
Jesse Ryder
James Franklin
Jacob Oram
Brendan McCullum
Daniel Vettori
Gillespie
Iain O Brien
Jeetan Patel

Like the batting move with Flynn at 3 and Ryder at 5. Looks better to me. mcIntosh, well, we'll have to wait and see. I suppose at least Redmond isnt there.

What on earth happened with the bowling though. Disappointed Southee isnt there. That seems strange. As does the non selection of Martin.. I dont mind Martin not being there, but the seletion is a bit strange.

Gillespie's figures have been 4/84... 4/43, not bad but he's only played one first class match this season. Perhaps they decided to choose a bowler who they thought was a bit quicker for some difference. They took my advice the b*******ds. Would rate Southee a better bowler than Gillespie.

The worst thing I think is that if you are going to choose someone as a 19 year old like Southee then you have to be very careful with his confidence and not knock him around. IMO if you pick someone that young you have to stick with them for a good while, and let them develop. He's done really well so far, but lost out to Gillespie who''s played one game so far. Very strange.

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
Mostly Wellington bowling lineup too with Franklin, Gillespie and OBrien. IS that list in batting order by the way?, meaning is Franklin going to bat ahead of Oram and McCullum, surely not.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
28 degrees today here.
Yeah, I know its hotter in the caribbean, but not that much hotter. It's not like they're playing in 11 degrees on an overcast windy Dunedin day, like the saffers did a couple of years ago.

What an utterly pap selection. I was really hoping that John Wright would bring a lick of common sense to our selectoral squad, but nope! I know Redmond didn't play well while he was in the team, but he was comfortably our highest score in the first innings at Adelaide. Who knows, maybe he really had turned a corner and was on the road to being a halfway competent test batsmen. We'll never know now. And we all know precisely what we'll get from McIntosh, he's not a player who's really improved at all over the past 5 or 6 years. Maybe one mildly competent innings a year, and the rest of the time he'll get out in single figures.

What is even more comical is the laughably confused and desperate decision to move Flynn up the order to number 3. A player who was still very much finding his feet at international level in the middle order, and who wouldn't have been considered anywhere near to being selected for the test side 12 months ago, is now being asked to fill the shoes of Stephen Fleming. Quite incredible

And Gillespie for Martin?:sick:

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Gillespie's figures have been 4/84... 4/43, not bad but he's only played one first class match this season. Perhaps they decided to choose a bowler who they thought was a bit quicker for some difference. They took my advice the b*******ds. Would rate Southee a better bowler than Gillespie.

The worst thing I think is that if you are going to choose someone as a 19 year old like Southee then you have to be very careful with his confidence and not knock him around. IMO if you pick someone that young you have to stick with them for a good while, and let them develop. He's done really well so far, but lost out to Gillespie who''s played one game so far. Very strange.
Given how much cricket peps frequent this forum, I won't be surprised if a Dion Nash reads stuff from here.

Some interesting dynamics:

We now have 6 lefties in the top to middle order. That's going from one extreme to another assuming that Redmond's drop is because of this fact.

Bowling-wise, I think it's variety the selectors are finding lacking in Adelaide. This might be how they paired up the bowlers for selection criteria:

Gillespie v Martin (strike bowler)
Franklin v Southee (swing)

I have no faith in the selectors actually, not Turner and not Nash. They seem to pick certain cricketers on a whim IMO.

Natman20

International Debutant

Jamie How
Tim McIntosh
Daniel Flynn
Ross Taylor
Jesse Ryder
James Franklin
Jacob Oram
Brendan McCullum
Daniel Vettori
Gillespie
Iain O Brien
Jeetan Patel

Can't believe they would choose Gillespie over Martin and Southee. That is not going to help NZs cause. Plus Flynn is still there!! Give Fulton another go and Redmond who deserves another chance. This team looks less stable than the one sent over to Australia.

EDIT: And Flynn gets position 3 in the order! The most important (normally) role of the batting line-up is given to someone who is already out of his depth?

EDIT2: Gillespie better than Mills as well? So he takes 4 wickets in the final innings for wellington on the previous match, so what. It's his tiny bit of extra pace that gets him his wickets in NZ domestic but he is totally inefective against international class players who are trained for that sort of pace. HE is readable and one of the most expensive bowlers I have seen before. Gives away too many runs which doesn't help NZ even if he takes 1 or 2 wickets.

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I tend to rate Flynn, he's hardly played any FC games remember. Technically he's one of the better batsmen in the side and Moles liked him at three for ND. Ryder usually bats 4 or 5 for Wellington, so this is perhaps a good idea to drop him down away from the new ball.

S.P. Fleming

U19 Cricketer
I am going to join everyone else in ranting about Gillespie ahead of Martin and Southee, I mean WTF??? seriously this couldve been a lethal side had Martin still have been there.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Yeah, I know its hotter in the caribbean, but not that much hotter. It's not like they're playing in 11 degrees on an overcast windy Dunedin day, like the saffers did a couple of years ago.
Yeah I'd put it more down to lack of FC cricket.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Well, at least the first Test will be interesting in a 'how will these changes turn out?' sense.