• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official West Indies in New Zealand***

Athlai

Not Terrible
It's partly the pitch (which I think produced about 800 runs for 12 wickets in last weeks state shield match), partly the fact that Roach and Baker have played 15 FC matches between them and partly the fact that Edwards is just rubbish.
Edwards is good in the vein that Tait is good. Quick and can be deadly with the new ball. Otherwise fodder.

He's certainly vastly better than he once was. This is his first match, reckon he'll only get better.

West Indies not having a good day at all though.

Flem274*

123/5
On the way home from work I almost crashed the car when I heard the score.

Windies should have played Gayle. He'd get 300 by himself on this track, unless the ball swung early for Mills or Tuffey.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
First FC game for everyone on tour in months TBH and couple that with the colder weather than here.

Flem274*

123/5
First FC game for everyone on tour in months TBH and couple that with the colder weather than here.
Bloody hell, its not cold today! :p

Yeah, they seem as if they're underdone. Hope they can patch themselves up quickly.

regarding NZ, Martin Crowe in whiny rant #1245 wants McIntosh picked for the first test. Its ironic he's bitching about the lack of technique in NZ batsmen then comes out with "select Tim McIntosh".

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I know it's just a warm up match, and I know it's a flat deck, but if New Zealand doesn't manage to put on some decent scores against the Windies who have, quite unquestionably, the weakest bowling attack in world cricket, then some serious questions will begin to emerge not only about the quality of our batsmen, but about the job our selectors are doing. Because if Auckland, one of the weaker batting sides in this year's state champs, is able to post 360/2 in a day against them, and next week our batsmen get rolled for another 200ish score, then that's a serious sign that somebody's getting things wrong.

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I'm more concerned about how the WIndies bat, whether or not they score as freely as Auckland have today on the flat pitch.

I also just realised that I don't ever recall seeing Richard Jones bat. What's he like?

Flem274*

123/5
I'm more concerned about how the WIndies bat, whether or not they score as freely as Auckland have today on the flat pitch.

I also just realised that I don't ever recall seeing Richard Jones bat. What's he like?
Simply put, quite mad.

He sways on his feet and when he hits a lofted shot cricket turns into golf as he implores the ball to; "Get up!"

Watched him in the State Shield final last year batting with guptill. Hillarious stuff. The classical Guptill in partnership with a drunk wielding a golf club.

Thats why I love Richard Jones, nothing like him, even if he is average.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
Thats why I love Richard Jones, nothing like him, even if he is average.
Youth One-Day International Career Batting and Fielding (1991/92-1993/94)
M I NO Runs HS Ave 100 50
New Zealand Under-19s 8 8 1 444 111 63.42 1 4

One-Day International Career Batting and Fielding (2003/04)
M I NO Runs HS Ave 100 50 SRate
New Zealand 5 5 0 168 63 33.60 0 1 51.06

Doesn't seem too bad to me. Don't know why he wasn't given more chances to be honest.

Flem274*

123/5

Doesn't seem too bad to me. Don't know why he wasn't given more chances to be honest.
SR issues?

In any case, from what I've seen and heard of his inngs on the radio commentary, he's not the greatest. Probably deserved more of a run, but isn't worth retrying him now, he's quite old isn't he?

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
SR issues?

In any case, from what I've seen and heard of his inngs on the radio commentary, he's not the greatest. Probably deserved more of a run, but isn't worth retrying him now, he's quite old isn't he?
Yea, but SR can generally improve, especially after a guy's been given time to settle his nerves in the international arena.

Correct again, word around the traps is that he might hang around for next season, but no longer.

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain

I think he got chosen to play in Pakistan cause Fleming, Astle, McMillan and so on opted not to tour because of safety. Cant remember what year, but Hamish Marshall played his first one dayers and did well enough to be included later on. I think Jesse Ryder was going to be picked but he got injured or drunk or something. I think Richard Jones opened with Craig Cumming in odi's on that tour and thankfully there were no tests.. Hamish MArshall batted at 3 and I think Tama Canning played in that series as well. Absolutely shocking side.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
I think he got chosen to play in Pakistan cause Fleming, Astle, McMillan and so on opted not to tour because of safety. Cant remember what year, but Hamish Marshall played his first one dayers and did well enough to be included later on. I think Jesse Ryder was going to be picked but he got injured or drunk or something. I think Richard Jones opened with Craig Cumming in odi's on that tour and thankfully there were no tests.. Hamish MArshall batted at 3 and I think Tama Canning played in that series as well. Absolutely shocking side.
That said, the team around him doesn't really change the fact that he averaged 34 in his debut series. Which isn't really that bad at all. Very good in fact.

It also quite clearly says 2003/04 next to the stats.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
You heard it here first...McIntosh and Franklin are definately in the first test side.

GGG

State Captain
You heard it here first...McIntosh and Franklin are definately in the first test side.
Franklin is pretty much a given if fit, but McIntosh will replace who? Both have been pretty woeful openers.