• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australian Domestic Season 2008/09

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Don't think Hopes has a future as an International player. Top knock tonight though.

Craig

World Traveller
James Hopes reminds me a lot of Ian Harvey (what happened to him BTW? Last I knew he was in South Africa?).

Precambrian

Banned
I didn't want to start a new thread so decided to post in here...

What's everyone's thoughts on James Hopes in ODI Cricket?

He's obviously a very good domestic player, but do you think he should still be a regular in the Australian XI or at least in our top squad?

I tend to think he's a terrific squad member to have, but wouldn't be confident in Hopes performing well if it were a World Cup final, would you?
Whatever little I saw during the Ind-Aus ODIs both in Aus and India, I think Hopes is comfortable worse than Watto. His bowling is predictable and was easily dealt with. Batting is just OK.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Hughes, Ferguson and Moses.

Should all be fastracked.
Hughes for sure. Freguson has only had a good start to this season and Moises, unfortunately for him, he has been hyped up way to much and his performances haven't really justified anything. In saying that though, he has been somewhat fast tracked; being called up to the Australian ODI squad up in Darwin.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
I didn't want to start a new thread so decided to post in here...

What's everyone's thoughts on James Hopes in ODI Cricket?

He's obviously a very good domestic player, but do you think he should still be a regular in the Australian XI or at least in our top squad?

I tend to think he's a terrific squad member to have, but wouldn't be confident in Hopes performing well if it were a World Cup final, would you?
I'm not sure if he should be a regular in the ODI XI (shouldn't be anywhere near the whites) and as far as I can recall, he didn't feature in the Windies as much as he did in the CB series. Main point, as far as his performances have been for Australia, he should definetely be there, but know with the emergence of Marsh and Watson becoming a fixture its more unlikely to happen. Definetely someone who has punched above his weight.

He seems to be Australia's version of England's bits-and-pieces players from the 90s to now - Yardy, Dalrymple, Wright, Troughton, Clarke, Grayson, Alleyne, Irani etc etc. Has done a better job than most listed thus far.

Jakester1288

International Regular
On the Hopes point, I reckon when Hayden retires from One Day cricket he will open in that format, but Katich, Hughes, Jaques, Rogers etc will be tossed around in test cricket.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
On the Hopes point, I reckon when Hayden retires from One Day cricket he will open in that format, but Katich, Hughes, Jaques, Rogers etc will be tossed around in test cricket.
Nah. Considering Marsh/Watson has been preferred to him opening every time they've played together, I very very much doubt it.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Nah. Considering Marsh/Watson has been preferred to him opening every time they've played together, I very very much doubt it.
He did have a stint last season. We are very strong in terms of one day openers. Watson or Hopes will probably get the gig ahead of Marsh if Hayden continues because they score quick runs and can bowl, and are both hard to put away (Hopes is a lot better though).

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
He did have a stint last season. We are very strong in terms of one day openers. Watson or Hopes will probably get the gig ahead of Marsh if Hayden continues because they score quick runs and can bowl, and are both hard to put away (Hopes is a lot better though).
Yeah he was tried when one of/both Watson and Marsh weren't in the side. Every time both Watson and Marsh were available, Hopes was either dropped or batted down at 7/8.

I disagree that Hopes if a lot (if any) better than Watson but I'm not going to bother arguing this.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Good to see Wells scoring runs on debut. Even though Lockyear is a NSWman, he is one of worst batsmen I've seen in a long time play SS cricket. Grade basher if I have ever seen one. Hopefully they give Birt, Dighton or Faulkner a run at the top, anyone is better then him.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Good to see Wells scoring runs on debut. Even though Lockyear is a NSWman, he is one of worst batsmen I've seen in a long time play SS cricket. Grade basher if I have ever seen one. Hopefully they give Birt, Dighton or Faulkner a run at the top, anyone is better then him.
Thought you were talking about Phillip Wells then. Was like WTF.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Hopefully Tait can overcome this hamstring problem..:dry:

Hope Ferguson bats well for the rest of the season aswell :)

Rant0r

International 12th Man
I'm not sure if he should be a regular in the ODI XI (shouldn't be anywhere near the whites) and as far as I can recall, he didn't feature in the Windies as much as he did in the CB series. Main point, as far as his performances have been for Australia, he should definetely be there, but know with the emergence of Marsh and Watson becoming a fixture its more unlikely to happen. Definetely someone who has punched above his weight.

He seems to be Australia's version of England's bits-and-pieces players from the 90s to now - Yardy, Dalrymple, Wright, Troughton, Clarke, Grayson, Alleyne, Irani etc etc. Has done a better job than most listed thus far.
definitely punching above his weight, well done to him, there have been far worse performed yet more talented players in the team.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Hughes, Ferguson and Moses.

Should all be fastracked.

They came in a wave in 1993/1994 - I give you Slats, Macca, Warne, Marto, Hayden, Langer, Ponting etc.

Young, lean, and as hungry as dinosaurs.

Fast-track them - they always adjust up a level.
what exactly is the obsession with henriques ? let the kid make some runs and take some wickets for his state for crying out loud, he could end up being joe scuderi for all we know.