• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official West Indies in New Zealand***

Athlai

Not Terrible
I see where you're coming from, and you're probably right. But I just shudder at the thought of having only one other player besides Vettori who's played 30 matches (McCullum).
Well just imagine how experienced our lineup could be in 3-4 years time when Southee has loads of matches under his belt and we start bringing in Martin and O'Brien's long term replacements.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
****ing ****s have to ****ing give us a three match series or I'll ****ing hunt them down and **** on their ****ing dinner plate. **** ****ers.
Two against India as well, although that's probably got more to do with their batsmen wanting to dash back to the sub continent to improve their averages, than anything else.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Two against India as well, although that's probably got more to do with their batsmen wanting to dash back to the sub continent to improve their averages, than anything else.
That'll be a good series too. ****ing hell. I mean its great we're playing Tests again but 2 every time? aAAAAGggghhhj

Polo23

International Debutant
Not a given.
It's more to do with their bankroll...the farce that is the IPL starts almost straight after the second test is finished.

Though, their bitching after they played on some green tops last time they toured NZ was pathetic.

Precambrian

Banned
It's more to do with their bankroll...the farce that is the IPL starts almost straight after the second test is finished.

Though, their bitching after they played on some green tops last time they toured NZ was pathetic.
Ah yes, that 90 plays 90 type of grounds. Perfect for test cricket.

Polo23

International Debutant
Ah yes, that 90 plays 90 type of grounds. Perfect for test cricket.
First test @ Wellington:

India 161 all out
NZ 247 all out
India 121 all out
NZ 36/0

Second test @ Hamilton

India 99 all out
NZ 94 all out
India 154 all out
NZ 160/6

Hamilton was the only dodgy pitch. I remember it was mainly some terrible application from the Indian batsmen that lost them that test series. They saw some green on the pitch and they **** themselves. Though, they were up against the best quick in the world in Shane Bond, bowling at 150km/h.

The pitches were fine, had India applied themselves. Instead all they did is complain.

Precambrian

Banned
First test @ Wellington:

India 161 all out
NZ 247 all out
India 121 all out
NZ 36/0

Second test @ Hamilton

India 99 all out
NZ 94 all out
India 154 all out
NZ 160/6

Hamilton was the only dodgy pitch. I remember it was mainly some terrible application from the Indian batsmen that lost them that test series. They saw some green on the pitch and they **** themselves. Though, they were up against the best quick in the world in Shane Bond, bowling at 150km/h.

The pitches were fine, had India applied themselves. Instead all they did is complain.
You contradict yourself.

I agree our batsmen were **** in the first test. Though they lost the toss and were put into bat at Wellington.

Second test, the least said, the better. 36 wickets in 176 overs of test cricket. Had there been no rain delays, that means the match would have got over in 2 days.

Polo23

International Debutant
You contradict yourself.

I agree our batsmen were **** in the first test. Though they lost the toss and were put into bat at Wellington.

Second test, the least said, the better. 36 wickets in 176 overs of test cricket. Had there been no rain delays, that means the match would have got over in 2 days.
I don't contradict myself. I said it was dodgy, not unplayable. Both teams made it look unplayable in the first innings.

As I said, with a bit more application the Indian batsmen would have gone far better. They seem to be thinking "man, this pitch is green and unplayable...I want to be back in India on a rolled out strip of mud" rather than "i'm really going to have to apply myself on this pitch, but I think i'm up to the challenge".

You don't see opposing teams complaining about the Indian pitches when they tour do you? India's whole attitude on that NZ tour was really poor, and it's no surprise they got smashed.

Precambrian

Banned
I don't contradict myself. I said it was dodgy, not unplayable. Both teams made it look unplayable in the first innings.
What made you think like that?

As I said, with a bit more application the Indian batsmen would have gone far better. They seem to be thinking "man, this pitch is green and unplayable...I want to be back in India on a rolled out strip of mud" rather than "i'm really going to have to apply myself on this pitch, but I think i'm up to the challenge".
Hold on. A one-off performance is not be and end of all. Indian batsmen, particularly the Fab 4 have shown they can bat virtually anywhere. Case in point? We managed to defeat Australia in Australia two times in the last 5 years, something NZ has never managed to.

You don't see opposing teams complaining about the Indian pitches when they tour do you? India's whole attitude on that NZ tour was really poor, and it's no surprise they got smashed.
You kidding? The moment India prepared a spin track recently against SA, and managed to win in that, they got official "Give explanation" letters from ICC, and SA coach Mickey Arthur was damning. Yet another case is the Mumbai 2004 test against Australia, in which allegedly a player spat on after the match.

inbox24

International Debutant

Yes correct. You have to take the bad with the good. If there exist flat roads all around the world, there must be some substandard or evergreen pitches to balance this out. This is what makes the game of cricket, it's a game for both batsmen and bowlers. On a flat pitch obviously bowlers will have to be patient and try things to get batsmen out, similarly on greentops and stickdogs batsmen will have to apply themselves to score runs. No point in blaming the pitch.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
True. But so is the "NZ pitches are ridiculous greentops" thing. Look at the 2007 Chappell-Hadlee series, for example.

Flem274*

123/5
"O noz, a grEEnt0p, batters hav 2 applie thmselvs"

Same conditions for everybody, if you can't take it, go home. If flat pitches are allowed, then greentops are allowed, end of story.

I think India kicked up a stink more over the fact they were beaten by us, they are always expected to smash the likes of us, despite them generally struggling in NZ. Its no real surprise really, the subcontinent and NZ pitches are light years apart from each other and both sides strugle in the others backyard, witness NZ in Bangladesh on spinners earlier this season.

Flem274*

123/5
True. But so is the "NZ pitches are ridiculous greentops" thing. Look at the 2007 Chappell-Hadlee series, for example.
Yeah, generally the bowlers grounds are the South Island ones (though there are exceptions, Christchurch has a habit of being the exception) and the Basin Reserve. Hamilton is slow and either good for batting, spin, or bowling. Napier is flat as anything and Eden Park varies.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Hold on. A one-off performance is not be and end of all. Indian batsmen, particularly the Fab 4 have shown they can bat virtually anywhere. Case in point? We managed to defeat Australia in Australia two times in the last 5 years, something NZ has never managed to.
If you mean in the last 5 years then yes. Otherwise we have beaten Australia in Australia in the past.

Or perhaps Hadlee beat Australia may be more apt.