• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official England in India***

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There is no basis for claiming that Yuvraj is definitely the superior ODI batsman.
There is, as I say. Look at the fact that Sehwag, apart from in 2002 and the last 10 games or so, has done next to nothing of note in ODIs. Yuvraj on the other hand has been good to excellent since returning to the side in early-2002.

This is really annoying that it's going to come out of this game with basically the same figures between Harmison and Flintoff, when Flintoff's bowled inestimably better than Harmison.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The inconsistencies you perceive on part of Sehwag should reflect in his stats by way of a lower number of fifties and hundreds and higher peaks with the hundreds he does have. That is not the case here. You're simply missing the point that Sehwag has been more likely to face the axe simply by way of facing better competition in the top order than Yuvraj has faced in the middle order.
Nah, Sehwag faced - and rightly got - the axe many times because his performance between January 2003 and May 2007 was very poor indeed.

Sehwag actually, somewhat ridiculously, was preferred to the infinitely superior Sourav Ganguly (many times) and (occasionally) Robin Uthappa at the top of the order. Sehwag has enjoyed far more, not less, faith than he deserves.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Poor Graeme Swann. He's been sold a dummy several times this series - having to bowl in Powerplays, having to bowl in a 22-over game, having to bowl with a wet ball. In the only 9-over spell he hasn't had to do any he's gone well.

Gifted Dhoni's wicket there mind, unlike Dhoni to waste the chance of a not-out. Silly batting.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nah, 'twas hitting.

Daryl Harper and Russell Tiffin have been far less diabolical than normal this series.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
There is, as I say. Look at the fact that Sehwag, apart from in 2002 and the last 10 games or so, has done next to nothing of note in ODIs. Yuvraj on the other hand has been good to excellent since returning to the side in early-2002.
As I said, Yuvraj has just managed to space his successes better. If Sehwag has a similar record to Yuvraj's despite 5 years of nothingness, as you claim, then it follows that his peaks on either side must have been superior to Yuvraj in order to square up his overall record.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I come home and we've pretty much made it 5-0 - superb stuff. Dhoni's honeymoon period has certainly lasted a fair bit longer than Pietersen's. I'm enjoying Sehwag's superb form, Dhoni's unfeasible consistency and Raina's good run of form.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I come home and we've pretty much made it 5-0 - superb stuff. Dhoni's honeymoon period has certainly lasted a fair bit longer than Pietersen's. I'm enjoying Sehwag's superb form, Dhoni's unfeasible consistency and Raina's good run of form.
Raina's good run of form? Were his last two knocks not both single figures?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As I said, Yuvraj has just managed to space his successes better. If Sehwag has a similar record to Yuvraj's despite 5 years of nothingness, as you claim, then it follows that his peaks on either side must have been superior to Yuvraj in order to square up his overall record.
They have, I already said that. Yuvraj has been consistently good; Sehwag has been mostly abysmal and occasionally superlative.

That makes Yuvraj by far the better player - so far. Both quite possibly have plenty of ODI cricket ahead of them.

And Swann has sensibly given-up on spin and just decided to bowl seam. And that's the end of the game.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No. This is the first time India have gone 5-0 up in a ODI series. They were denied the chance to do so in the last series against England by rain in the Fifth ODI.