• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official England in India***

Precambrian

Banned
I very much doubt anyone runs in to bowl the last over of an innings thinking "I'll bowl length constantly here".

That'd take sheer stupidity. Complete and total lack of knowledge about bowling.

A 14-year-old who'd been watching ODIs for a year could tell you that you need to aim to bowl Yorkers every ball at the end of a ODI innings. I think it exceedingly unlikely Harmison was trying to bowl length. He just isn't good enough to not do.
Of course easy to say from here, I think he tried to stop Pathan from swinging his arms by bowling at him, probably the yorker, but got it all very wrong.

Precambrian

Banned
I'd also expect someone who knows not-that-much about the game to know that you don't want to aim to bowl length at the end of the innings.

Knowledge of what needs to be bowled can be attained by anyone; the skill to do it can be attained by precious few. To not have the skill to bowl what you need to is more common by an unspeakable amount than to not know what needs to be done.

I try to bowl Yorkers often. Quite often they end-up length balls.

BTW, just seen the Gambhir dismissal for the first time. Inside-edge, to a ball that turns accross you enormously. Exceedingly odd. :mellow:
He didnt expect it to turn that much, and tried to "pat" it to legside for a single. It spun, and Gambhir was too late in taking off the bat.

jondavluc

State Regular
Im happy for him. But also kinda scared cuz he has basicaly bought his way into the test team now (gangles spot) and i dont rate him in the longer format.
Yeah I don't have any real confidence in his abilties in test cricket I think there is aleast a couple of other players that should make the spot before him.

IndGunner

First Class Debutant
Yeah I don't have any real confidence in his abilties in test cricket I think there is aleast a couple of other players that should make the spot before him.
Well you can hope but the BCCI seems to be inclusive of all forms in their selection panels and also inclusive of public appeal.

kingkallis

International Coach
I realise that, the trouble is that until today he hadn't actually done it.

"He's a big hitter" is one of the worst reasons players get picked in ODIs despite not really being very good at all.

The next few innings' will show whether Yusuf Pathan is one such player or whether he's capable of repeating these sorts of innings'.
Finally the Pathan fires. The team needs to demand him to bat in the Symonds mould rather than the Afridi one.

IndGunner

First Class Debutant
Finally the Pathan fires. The team needs to demand him to bat in the Symonds mould rather than the Afridi one.
Yea i agree im happy he has but still a pinch hitter for mine. a pinch hitter with some nice spin and probabally the best pinch hitter going round in india.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
The search for Ian Bell's brain continues to be a fruitless past-time. Great fielding obv, but why on earth try a dodgy single in the first over of the innings?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Going back a few pages, not getting the Broad hate. He has been a good ODI bowler for a while now, surprised to see Richard and EWS bemoaning his getting of wickets, almost as if they are confusing Tests with ODIs :p :ph34r:

Anyhow, saw about 10 overs whilst enjoying marmalade on toast, we looked quite sharp in the field, I saw the two run outs which both came during very good overs from Flintoff and Broad. Feel confident that we can at least be in this until the end.