• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Australia in India***

pup11

International Coach
Perhaps Beau Casson may have done marginally better, but if you pick a guy who isn't in the countries top 25 bowlers as your number 8 and I guess 4th bowler you are in trouble.
Does anyone know why Cam White isn't at First Slip?

Actually EDIT - When we decide to have slip fielders..
Beau Casson might not have bowled as tightly or accurately as White has, but he would have been a much more attacking option as a bowler who could have picked a few wickets in spin friendly conditions.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not sure if you're trying to disagree with my post or just add to it, but I agree with that. Ponting's treating him like a part-timer and, as I said, if that's going to happen, he shouldn't play.

If you have a look at even Paul Harris - he's often just carried through the first innings by South Africa as Kallis bowls most of his overs, but if the opposition rack up a big first innings score he gets through some really long spells to help keep the pacemen fresh and he bowls more overs than anyone in their second innings. Harris is more consistent and much more experienced than White but I don't think he has anything in his armory that makes him more threatening. He justifies his place in the team with his workload and the faith shown in him to spin South Africa home (even though he's failed to do so recently).

White's done a good job for what he's been asked but if Ponting is going to treat him like a part-timer (even in the second innings on the subcontinent!) and he isn't going to score any runs I see no reason to pick him. It's harsh but the role he's playing is a luxury no team can afford.
I suppose I was adding to it

He has supposedly been picked as a bowling all-rounder but he is not being used that way

Rather than dropping him, someone needs to get into Ponting's head and convince him that White's development is actually vital to Australia's short term future and the only way that he can improve is via bowling. Furthermore, it's not as if giving White an extended spell with proper field placings is going to damage Australia's cause in this match

BTW, I think your comparison with Harris is a good one - White has the potential to perform a similar holding role and to take a couple of wickets here and there

However, whether he has that potential can only be determined if he bowls enough

pasag

RTDAS
Haha, Rauf.

Johnson's really been impressive. He's been so far and away our best bowler in this series it's not funny.

pasag

RTDAS
Hmm, justice for Sehwag. Best case scenario is Dravid slows things down, but it doesn't really matter, India will declare before tea and we'll have our work cut out for us.

Edit: Dhoni in, very nice move.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Cricinfo :- "I am told that after Sehwag got away with that thick edge, Ponting walked up to him and suggested that he shoud have walked"

Don't know if that is true but If Ponting indeed said that then I must say - Sehwag should have said STFU.

And he is gone.

pasag

RTDAS
Cricinfo :- "I am told that after Sehwag got away with that thick edge, Ponting walked up to him and suggested that he shoud have walked"

Don't know if that is true but If Ponting indeed said that then I must say - Sehwag should have said STFU.

And he is gone.
Maybe the sledge worked?

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Woo hoo...............Dhoni promoting himself..........so they are going all out and declaring by lunch

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
So funny most of my computer crashed, but i was still able to chat on msn so I said to Prince - Sehwag will get out shortly, and he did!