• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Australia in India***

archie mac

International Coach
I rather the ABC, but Coward is annoying me:@

He kept telling us last night that Ponting has a lot to do, to redeem himself with the Aussie public after the last Sydney Test match

I thought it was a great game of cricket, and I am yet to meet anyone who thought Ponting did a lot wrong?

stumpski

International Captain
Looks like I may have to wait till tomorrow to see SRT bat. :(

Hussey's average goes back over 72, having been a mere 68 at the start of his innings ... second only to The Don, right?

archie mac

International Coach
You're quite right ...

http://www.cricketarchive.com/Archive/Records/Australia/Tests/Career_Batting_by_Average.html

Hadn't realised Barnes's record was quite that good, tbh. And Moss was unlucky not to get another go, he lost out when the WSC players returned.
Was there ever any doubt:laugh:

Barnes would have dropped down to mid 50s I think. If he would have played more Test cricket, but CA is to blame for that:@

Moss would never have kept his ave. about 50 although he was a decent player:)

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Still, Hussey's played nearly 30 tests now, over several years. Nobody else has a record as good as his after that number of matches, except Bradman.

BTW, how many times has Hussey made a big score batting with the tail now? He did it a few times against South Africa early in his career when he was batting at 6. Really turns a solid score into a huge one when you can add another 100 batting with the tail.

archie mac

International Coach
Still, Hussey's played nearly 30 tests now, over several years. Nobody else has a record as good as his after that number of matches, except Bradman.

BTW, how many times has Hussey made a big score batting with the tail now? He did it a few times against South Africa early in his career when he was batting at 6. Really turns a solid score into a huge one when you can add another 100 batting with the tail.
I wonder if he played as a younger man, whether his record would have been as good? I think not. I am not criticising just musing:)

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hussey, though, always seems to be forgotten when comparing the best batsmen in the world, why is that? Aesthetics, i'd say.

Redbacks

International Captain
He kept telling us last night that Ponting has a lot to do, to redeem himself with the Aussie public after the last Sydney Test match

I thought it was a great game of cricket, and I am yet to meet anyone who thought Ponting did a lot wrong?
He's the leader of the team, so the blame has been put on him. I think the media putting pressure on a player, is cryptic for, hit some runs and we don't care what you do!

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I wonder if he played as a younger man, whether his record would have been as good? I think not. I am not criticising just musing:)
Maybe not, but you can't really judge him on that, as it's pure speculation.

Hussey still has a long way to go to warrant comparison with the best of all time, he's only a few seasons into his career. I was just making the point that 25 tests is more than just a handful now.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Hussey, though, always seems to be forgotten when comparing the best batsmen in the world, why is that? Aesthetics, i'd say.
Funny that, I think he's one of the best to watch. Maybe not in terms of his actual strokeplay (except his cover drive), but his shot selection is breathtaking at times. He'll leave five deliveries safely alone and only play at one, and hit it perfectly through the gap for a boundary.

I guess it's just a different sort of aesthetic appeal to that of a strokeplayer like Ponting or Tendulkar.