• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Australia in India***

Jakester1288

International Regular
Lets hope that the double failure from Katich presents Jaques with an opportunity, and like he did 12 months ago, performs again and cements his postition at the top of the order.....for the second time.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Ponting's FC average pretty close to 60 as we speak (59.95).
Indeed, 59.97 now.

I'm hoping Clarke can get his above 50 by the end of next season, it shouldn't be too hard for him, he knows his game well, and as long as the pressure of vice-captaincy doesn't affect him, he will probably turn into a number 3 when Ponting retires.

pup11

International Coach
So the game finally ends in a draw, Australia have a lot of thinking to do before the start of the first test, this game has exposed the fact that Aussies would find it hard to bowl India out twice in such conditions cheaply, the batting too was patchy and if the batsmen wish to score they would have to show resolve and patience like Hussey did in this.

Johnson and Clark' bowling and Hussey' batting were the only positives to come out of this game.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So the game finally ends in a draw, Australia have a lot of thinking to do before the start of the first test, this game has exposed the fact that Aussies would find it hard to bowl India out twice in such conditions cheaply, the batting too was patchy and if the batsmen wish to score they would have to show resolve and patience like Hussey did in this.

Johnson and Clark' bowling and Hussey' batting were the only positives to come out of this game.
Ponting actually batted pretty well but Clarke (initially at least) looked nervous and decided to hit his way into a bit of form

Hayden looked much better today until he got a the rough end of a 50/50 decision but Katich at the top is a worry for mine

Polo23

International Debutant
Looking forward to the actual games. I reckon Chawla would be a better option that Harbhajan for India though. That boy is talent.

pup11

International Coach
Ponting actually batted pretty well but Clarke (initially at least) looked nervous and decided to hit his way into a bit of form

Hayden looked much better today until he got a the rough end of a 50/50 decision but Katich at the top is a worry for mine
I think rather than saying that Clarke was trying to hit his back into form, i would say he was trying to dictate terms to the spinners, it wasn't as if he was trying to throw his bat everything, he was only attacking flighted balls, anyways both Ponting and Clarke were severe on spinners right from word go, they were in a way trying to send a message that even on a day 4 track they can handle spinners and handle them well.

Katich in this series is probably only going to strengthen the fact that his shuffling footwork is still going to cause problems for him at the highest level against good teams, his footwork makes him a sitting duck as an lbw candidate especially against the new ball, so if Zaheer and Ishant bowl well, Katich could in all sorts of troubles, he would do much better if he were to bat in the middle order, but he is definitely not an opening batsman in my book.

Last edited:

Polo23

International Debutant
Nah, he is too raw atm, but he should be picked once Kumble retires.
Maybe...from what I have seen of him he looks class. Reckon he will have a big future with the Indian team. Probably the best young spin prospect around the world at the moment also.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I swear Amit Mishra is a better option than Chawla. But Harbs+Kumble are still the two best that India have at the minute.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Someone, I think howardj, spoke earlier about how crucial winning the toss would be for us. Reckon he's spot on. If we win every toss I could see us winning the series, if we lose every toss I can see us losing four-nil.
Since 2000, teams who have won the toss are 10-14-14 in India - yup, a losing record. Winning the toss is overrated. Compare that to winning the toss in England: 29-18-16. The fact is that most times, the pitch remains a paradise for the first two innings, so no one benefits. And while it may break up more in the 4th innings than in the 3rd, the effect isn't so pronounced as to significantly affect the outcome of the match.

pup11

International Coach
I was thinking younger, as in guys around the age of 19-20.

Mendis does look something special though.
Steven Smith' name can also be mentioned alongside Chawla, he may not be as good as Chawla atm, but he definitely has the potential to turn into a very good leg-spinning all-rounder, Australia biggest spin hope for the future.

As far as Mendis is concerned, he ain't special, he is just a freak of nature!:ph34r:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Since 2000, teams who have won the toss are 10-14-14 in India - yup, a losing record. Winning the toss is overrated. Compare that to winning the toss in England: 29-18-16. The fact is that most times, the pitch remains a paradise for the first two innings, so no one benefits. And while it may break up more in the 4th innings than in the 3rd, the effect isn't so pronounced as to significantly affect the outcome of the match.
As i looked at in the other thread, winning the toss (in no particular country) over the past ten years has had a 177-173 success rate. So on the whole, twice out of 350 matches did it make a difference (statistically, of course). Winning the toss in general is overrated.

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
What are peoples opinion on how the team will lineup come Thursday? Siddle a massive chance imo.

Should White play ahead of Watson to add variety to the attack? Jaques stiff to miss imo. Krejza surely won't get a game now...

pasag

RTDAS
No it has little to do with the state of the pitch rather if you field for one and a half or two days you're not going to bat anywhere near as well as you could especially in the face and the pressure of a large total. Out biggest chance in this series is winning the toss and putting big scores on first up, you don't need statistics to tell you that - just look at the practice match that finished today and how we batted in the first innings.

Polo23

International Debutant
Steven Smith' name can also be mentioned alongside Chawla, he may not be as good as Chawla atm, but he definitely has the potential to turn into a very good leg-spinning all-rounder, Australia biggest spin hope for the future.

As far as Mendis is concerned, he ain't special, he is just a freak of nature!:ph34r:
Smith is the kid who looks like he had down syndrome right?

Saw him at the U19 world cup...I thought then he looked pretty bloody good.

Woodster

International Captain
What are peoples opinion on how the team will lineup come Thursday? Siddle a massive chance imo.

Should White play ahead of Watson to add variety to the attack? Jaques stiff to miss imo. Krejza surely won't get a game now...
Your probably asking the Aussie fans their opinion, but I'll throw my ideas in anyway.
If Australia go in with an all pace attack, ie Lee, Clark, Johnson,and Siddle/Bollinger, then for me Katich bats at 6 and Jaques opens with Hayden.

If they go in with a spinner, which most likely now has to be Cameron White, then they could play Watson as an extra seam option at number 6, and with White likely to bat at 8, it does extend the depth of the batting and compensates for Watson playing ahead of Katich.