• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Australia in India***

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Going just by scorecards but Badri's form in the past few months including one-dayers hasn't been great, so a bit of an unlucky time to be going through a lean patch.
Yeah but surely the pressure of an impending Test debut might be related to said lack of form? unlikely to be coincidental.

Lambu

U19 Debutant
Badri = Mark Ramprakash.

Perhaps all those year of non-selection haven't been without reason?
My thoughts precisely...you can average as much as you want but he has looked very very ordinary at the International level.Also,i don't think he would have made the final XI in the first place.Now he might be removed from the squad itself afetr 2 tests.

BoyBrumby

Englishman

Woodster

International Captain
Think if four seamers is the way to go for Oz, then for me, Watson doesn't play. If Johnson, Bollinger/Siddle, Lee and Clark don't make an impression, it is unlikely Watson will. Katich comes in at 6.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Would White get a game ahead of Krejza, for the first few tests, anyway? Wouldn't make sense for the supposed 3rd best spinner (according to the selectors) to get a game ahead of the 2nd best one.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Really disappointed Badri failed.....he's looked shaky against quicker pacemen (agianst Ishant in the Irani) and here against the Aussies.

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
WOuldn't surprise me if Stuey Clark struggled a bit in this series. He's had an extended honeymoon start to his career but is he really good enough for a bowling average of 21 when his first class avg is 27 ?
Much harder to average 21 with the ball in Australian domestic cricket than it is in international test cricket, itbt.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Krejza has been ignored for a a while now from Ponting, the second half of the last innings and 24 overs of this innings. Hoping he can pick up a 5fa or something here and prove to the selectors he was worth bringing on this tour.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
We're seeing why Wasim Jaffer isn't a test match class player here.....

Eight years after making his debut....still possesses the same flaws in his batting.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Much harder to average 21 with the ball in Australian domestic cricket than it is in international test cricket, itbt.
Definitely a lot of truth in that statement. The standard of Australian Domestic Cricket is just mind-blowing. You don't realise it until you watch a game, and then it hits you why Australia has dominated the world scene for years. It's because of their junior competitions and lower grades being so hard to crack, they make you work much harder than you would to make say, the English side. The competition is not very big, so to make a first class side is an achievement alone. To make the national side is an honor not many people get to be recognized for.

And referring to the statement, it really depends on your opposition.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Would White get a game ahead of Krejza, for the first few tests, anyway? Wouldn't make sense for the supposed 3rd best spinner (according to the selectors) to get a game ahead of the 2nd best one.
I think McGain's injury has exposed a slightly muddle-headed bit of thinking from the Aussie selectors. I suspect they never really saw him as a serious option for the tests but took him along for "experience". Now with McGain's shoulder giving out on him & a decidedly ropey performance in the current warm-up their nerve has gone and have called up White, whose bowling is probably no worse (although I've never seen Krezja bowl a ball in anger, admittedly) and batting is better.

Whither Beau Casson tho, one wonders? He didn't go that badly in the one test he played, did he? Certianly not bad enough to go from first to (seemingly) fourth in the pecking order.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Definitely a lot of truth in that statement. The standard of Australian Domestic Cricket is just mind-blowing. You don't realise it until you watch a game, and then it hits you why Australia has dominated the world scene for years. It's because of their junior competitions and lower grades being so hard to crack, they make you work much harder than you would to make say, the English side. The competition is not very big, so to make a first class side is an achievement alone. To make the national side is an honor not many people get to be recognized for.

And referring to the statement, it really depends on your opposition.
There's a lot of truth in what you say, but the major reason it's so difficult to get a good bowling average is that the pitches are flat as.

pup11

International Coach
Cam White named as McGain's replacement.

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/indvaus2008/content/current/story/372380.html

The apocalypse is upon us, people. He takes a few Aus A poles and suddenly he's the back-up spinner? Dear Lord!
WTF? I mean why can't they just pick Casson, or if they wanted a batsman who could bowl a bit then they could have gone in with David Hussey who unlike White has had two very good last FC seasons with the bat, White has hardly done anything substantial to deserve a call-up to the test side, awful decision on the part of the selectors to pick White, but having said that i still expect him to bowl better than Krezja.

Casson though still would have been my choice, the guy is a handy lower order batsman and as lowly as his bowling might be rated, he is still Australia' next best spin option after McGain.

I think Stuart Clark's bowling average will rise upwards....I don't think he is anywhere near the class of Ambrose or Mcgrath guys with an average around 21.

Don't get me wrong...he is a good bowler yes, but I don't think he is THAT good.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
WTF? I mean why can't they just pick Casson
Because - and this may surprise you - he's crap. Better than White as a bowler, granted, but still not really at all likely to do any damage at international level. Krejza for mine was worth the gamble in the squad but Casson most certainly wasn't.

I still think the Aussies should have picked Bracken for the tour. He would have keptr it tight and as the picth got lower and slower, become a real wickettaking threat.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Johnson bowling well? Every other delivery he bowls to Jaffer on cricinfo seems to be saying "beaten". Good bowling, or terrible batting?

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Whither Beau Casson tho, one wonders? He didn't go that badly in the one test he played, did he? Certianly not bad enough to go from first to (seemingly) fourth in the pecking order.
IIRC he got a bit of tap, although I can't remember for sure. I certainly remember thinking that he looked all right though, didn't bowl badly from what I saw, I didn't think.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I think Stuart Clark's bowling average will rise upwards....I don't think he is anywhere near the class of Ambrose or Mcgrath guys with an average around 21.

Don't get me wrong...he is a good bowler yes, but I don't think he is THAT good.

Oh, George, you're such a dear :)

If you're going to use statistics as the basis of class, well, then...

Glenn McGrath
Australia 21.64
New South Wales

Shane Warne
Australia
Victoria