• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Australia in India***

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You never know, someone might get injured or could be horribly out of form, and next thing we know Sharma could be making his test debut in this series.
Yeah possible but pretty unlikely, hence why, at this point in time, Sharma's runs don't mean a lot. Besides, they certainly haven't proven what we didn't already know, that he can score runs quickly but, as in a few previous knocks, gives a soft out. Says nothing about his ability to grind out an innings at Test level.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I just saw the scorecard, and it has to be said I don't really understand the team. Why is Siddle playing? Surely it should be Jaques, or at least Bollinger?

Top_Cat

I just saw the scorecard, and it has to be said I don't really understand the team. Why is Siddle playing? Surely it should be Jaques, or at least Bollinger?
Jaques is still injured I gather (and likely to miss out anyway) whereas in the case of Bolly, I'm guessing that the selectors have chosen Johnson for the 3rd seamer's spot. So, since Bolly already has some overs under his belt with Aus A, it's an opportunity for Johnson to get some match practice in Indian conditions and Siddle to get some overs in the unlikely event he's required. I would have thought if the 3rd seamer was still up for grabs, they'd bowl Bolly and John head-to-head.

Lambu

U19 Debutant
Yeah possible but pretty unlikely, hence why, at this point in time, Sharma's runs don't mean a lot. Besides, they certainly haven't proven what we didn't already know, that he can score runs quickly but, as in a few previous knocks, gives a soft out. Says nothing about his ability to grind out an innings at Test level.
He had never scored a century though..i'm not sure the innings is as meaningless as you seem to believe.He did grind his way through for most of the innings against the quicks.That he he could still maintain a decent strike rate was due to the fact that Krejza and on a few occassion the quicks served him pies.

pup11

International Coach
These are why these matches are so vital, would have been absurd if Ponting didn't bowl him and at least we can have an answer to one of the lineup questions. I'd bowl him heaps for the rest of the match as well, just to see, in hope really.
67.3 Krejza to Patel, FOUR, a long-hop too wide outside the off stump and Parthiv waits for the ball to come moves to the off side and cuts to extra cover fence.

He almost got Ponting killed there, banged the ball almost at his feet and Ponting at silly-point was lucky not get his head ripped off, as he wasn't wearing any protective equipment.

Salamuddin

International Debutant

I think its just a maturity thing - he's only 21. A couple of seasons of Ranji/Duleep cricket and with India A and I think he'll be ready.

I think he possesses enormous ability - easily the best batting talent India have produced since 1996 when Saurav, Rahul and VVS came on the scene.

Polo23

International Debutant
67.3 Krejza to Patel, FOUR, a long-hop too wide outside the off stump and Parthiv waits for the ball to come moves to the off side and cuts to extra cover fence.

He almost got Ponting killed there, banged the ball almost at his feet and Ponting at silly-point was lucky not get his head ripped off, as he wasn't wearing any protective equipment.
Lol..."oh no!"

HAHAHA!

Top_Cat

I think its just a maturity thing - he's only 21. A couple of seasons of Ranji/Duleep cricket and with India A and I think he'll be ready.

I think he possesses enormous ability - easily the best batting talent India have produced since 1996 when Saurav, Rahul and VVS came on the scene.
Oh absolutely, I reckon he's a an excellent talent. And yeah a ton against an attack like this is nothing to be sneezed at from a personal perspective. Just thinking strategically in terms a Test series he's unlikely to play a part in.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Jaques is still injured I gather (and likely to miss out anyway) whereas in the case of Bolly, I'm guessing that the selectors have chosen Johnson for the 3rd seamer's spot. So, since Bolly already has some overs under his belt with Aus A, it's an opportunity for Johnson to get some match practice in Indian conditions and Siddle to get some overs in the unlikely event he's required. I would have thought if the 3rd seamer was still up for grabs, they'd bowl Bolly and John head-to-head.
Ah that makes more sense knowing that about Jaques. So it's basically Watson/Jaques for the test. Thanks. :)

pup11

International Coach
Casson is crap though and I wouldn't want to see him anywhere near the side.
I was rather impressed with Casson during the 3rd test in Caribbean, he was whacked around the park initially, but he held his nerve pretty well and bowled well to get a few important wickets, he has good variations under his belt and though his accuracy is poor, that is something that still can be worked at, and its not as if there is too much to choose from atm.

pup11

International Coach
There was lot of talk how Katich's chinamen could come in handy if he plays, but Ponting doesn't seem to think so.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
http://www.ecb.co.uk/news/world/decision-on-mcgain-departure-delayed,302733,EN.html

Mismanagement 101

These guys are in denial and ignoring a basic principle of management - hope for the best but plan for the worst

They seem to be sticking their head in the sand and hoping that either McGain makes a miraculous recovery or Krezja morphs into a quality bowler overnight

Best thing they could do is select somebody to bolster the squad now and if Bryce happens to recover, that's a bonus

Precambrian

Banned
Jason looks a joker out there. Australia must go in with 4 quicks. Even though that would mean over rate problems which can be solved with Clarke's spin. Also, the fab 4 are all oldies and their reflex on the wane, so aggressive pace bowling will only help Australia.

Unless of course, they put in pitches that start turning at the first drinks interval, and Sehwag decides to cash in.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Good. The guy gets a bit of harsh treatment from supporters because he's had a slowish start to his international career, but I don't think he really deserves to be dropped yet. I actually think he'll have a decent series.

sanga1337

U19 Captain
Yes he would, Bracken on the other hand...
AWTA. Bracken should definitely be in the test side IMO. If not as fast bowler (which he should be over Johnson) than as a medium pacer who bowls cutters. I don't know how the selectors can ignore him when his ODI record is so good. At least put him in the squad.