• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Australia in India***

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think he'll do better specifically because he's a finger spinner or anything. I just think he's a better package as an international bowler than Casson, particularly on surfaces that will actually help him a bit unlike the ones in Australia.
Mate, he can't even get a regular guernsey for Tas (can't even beat off the challenge of Doherty!) yet Casson has broken through a really impressive bunch of bowlers to play regular games for NSW, ahead of Krezja when he was in Blue too. Casson is the best of a fairly ordinary bunch and should have been well ahead of Krejza in the pecking order. Better bat too. Can you tell me why you reckon Krezja is a better option? I ain't seeing it.

pup11

International Coach
i guess, it's easy to understand .... I don't think I have to spoon feed some because of their inability to understand whats implied .... if you are lucky someone sensible will decipher that for you
Look dude all i asked you was what has India being was once called the land of 'golden sparrow' gotta do with this series or Indian cricket, its not like the Indian cricket is begging to fill its coffers or anything, the management at BCCI has always sucked, so what's new with that, but obviously people like me aren't going to understand views of scholars like you....

pup11

International Coach
Mate, he can't even get a regular guernsey for Tas (can't even beat off the challenge of Doherty!) yet Casson has broken through a really impressive bunch of bowlers to play regular games for NSW, ahead of Krezja when he was in Blue too. Casson is the best of a fairly ordinary bunch and should have been well ahead of Krejza in the pecking order. Better bat too. Can you tell me why you reckon Krezja is a better option? I ain't seeing it.
Whatever little i have seen of Krezja hasn't impressed me much, ok he can turn the ball, but so can Dan Cullen, and tbh i would say Dan Cullen is a better finger spinner than Krejza, anyways as T_C said that spin talent isn't great in Australia atm, and among all the spin bowlers in Australia atm Casson looks like the most likely candidate to play a serviceable role in the Aussie side in the longer run, and yeah his batting too is handy down the order.

pup11

International Coach
I didn't say the pitch was unsporting, and as long as the pitch is not unsporting, you can't use it as an excuse if you lose. While it is certainly preferable to the pitch in the first test, pitches like that should not be prepared in India. Pitches like the third test should be much more common than they have become of late.
That was an undercooked pitch as simple as that, and top layer of the surface was coming off within the first 10 overs of start of the game, iirc the South Africans were even contemplating about complaining about the standard of the pitch to the ICC.

ret

International Debutant
on the positive side, Indian camp hits high intensity

The batsmen batted in pairs, but from one end only, rotating the strike every six balls or so. The open-wicket practice gave them the freedom of batting in whichever way they wanted. Virender Sehwag, after getting his eye in, tried to hit the bowlers all over the ground, smashing sixes regularly. Harbhajan Singh suffered the most at the hands of Sehwag.

Rahul Dravid, on the other hand, looked to perfect his defence, testing his judgement of when to leave outside the off stump. Ishant Sharma and Sachin Tendulkar had a good little session, too, walking up to each other after almost every delivery and discussing what was right and what was wrong.

The bowlers got an intense workout as well: Ishant Sharma bowled for an hour and 10 minutes in two spells, Zaheer Khan bowled his two for an hour, and Munaf Patel bowled for an hour without a break. Besides the normal stumps, the bowlers had a fifth stump as a guide so that they could get used to bowling the just-outside-the-off-stump line.
these guys have to focus and come back to the top of their games. on paper, Ind should be looking to beat OZ 2-0 but their first hurdle is coming up with a good performance at B'lore, which is not a happy hunting ground for India .... looking at the two teams, some would be inclined to think that no matter what 11 India fields, it should be able to get the better of the Australians but let's not forget how other teams like SA, Pak [in 2006] and Eng [in one of the series] have fought against India and made a series out of it

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I just think he'd be a better bowler on surfaces that took spin, basically. He doesn't get much response from Australian surfaces and Casson being a wristy is affected less by this. It's not so much that I think you should always take a finger spinner to India, but that I think this finger spinner in particular would benefit a great deal from Indian pitches in comparison to what he gets at home, and therefore improve his record. If Casson had done more than performed decently for half a season I'd have him in there, but with none of the spinners actually have a genuine case at all, I'd go with the one I've always thought had something to him, which is Krejza.

I'd be more inclined to go on with this if you hadn't changed your mind for virtually no reason in a short space of time, TBH.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Doubt it. This Indian line-up tends to shred opposition finger spinners. A wristie or at least someone who bowls with a decent amount of top-spin would be more likely to do well than a bloke who merely spins the ball big. Gavin Robertson was far better credentialled when he toured in 1998 and on pitches which spun a lot, he didn't disgrace himself but was still taken to. Would be very surprised, provided he gets picked, if Krezja takes a pole for the match and keeps his econ below 4.
Exactly

However, now that it's done, I'd forget about playing Krezja at all and leave the spinning to whatever combination of batsmen that they choose.

It will be an absolute miracle if Krezja is not to smacked around for very few wickets.

Bite the bullet, stack the batting and forget about playing substandard cricketers just because they add "variety."

pasag

RTDAS
Exactly

However, now that it's done, I'd forget about playing Krezja at all and leave the spinning to whatever combination of batsmen that they choose.

It will be an absolute miracle if Krezja is not to smacked around for very few wickets.

Bite the bullet, stack the batting and forget about playing substandard cricketers just because they add "variety."
I guess the good thing about Watson is that we can try a novice spinner and if it doesn't work we can use him (and hopefully Katich & Clarke) as backup for the first Test to minimise the impact. Dunno, worth the risk and can't be worse than Mitch at this stage.

social

I guess the good thing about Watson is that we can try a novice spinner and if it doesn't work we can use him (and hopefully Katich & Clarke) as backup for the first Test to minimise the impact. Dunno, worth the risk and can't be worse than Mitch at this stage.
Why waste a position on a novice with virtually ZERO chance of success - the guy isnt fc standard let alone test quality

Pick Katich as a back up spinner and strengthen the batting order or actually do the right thing and fly guys like Symonds and David Hussey inwho are quality bats that can bowl spin and should've been there in the first place

Unfortunately replacements arent likely and Watson is sick so this series is shaping up as an absolute disaster whether or not Krezja plays - tends to happen when you dont pick teams on merit

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
Why waste a position on a novice with virtually ZERO chance of success - the guy isnt fc standard let alone test quality

Pick Katich as a back up spinner and strengthen the batting order or actually do the right thing and fly guys like Symonds and David Hussey inwho are quality bats that can bowl spin and should've been there in the first place

Unfortunately replacements arent likely and Watson is sick so this series is shaping up as an absolute disaster whether or not Krezja plays - tends to happen when you dont pick teams on merit
Hey I agree re: Symonds. And I don't see why it's 'virtually ZERO chance of success', as Prince explained, just because he has a poor FC record doesn't mean much, here he'll be playing on spin friendly pitches so the previous stats become somewhat irrelevant.

social

Hey I agree re: Symonds. And I don't see why it's 'virtually ZERO chance of success', as Prince explained, just because he has a poor FC record doesn't mean much, here he'll be playing on spin friendly pitches so the previous stats become somewhat irrelevant.
Put it this way

Test cricket is a biiiiiiiig step up from fc cricket

I'd say that most people would agree that IF the "spin friendly pitches" help Krezja to such an extent that he is able to maintain his fc stats at a much higher level against expert players of spin then he'd have done well

The problem is that his fc stats are appalling (less than 2 wickets per match at an ave of 46)

Any of Clarke, Symonds, Hussey or Katich would be disappointed with that return in this series AS PART-TIMERS.

Furthermore, fast bowlers who could be included in his place (Bollinger, Johnson or Siddle) would be regarded as abject failures and unlikely to be picked again anytime soon

Bottom line is that he is NOWHERE near good enough and his selection should be rejected out of hand

pasag

RTDAS
Put it this way

Test cricket is a biiiiiiiig step up from fc cricket

I'd say that most people would agree that IF the "spin friendly pitches" help Krezja to such an extent that he is able to maintain his fc stats at a much higher level against expert players of spin then he'd have done well

The problem is that his fc stats are appalling (less than 2 wickets per match at an ave of 46)

Any of Clarke, Symonds, Hussey or Katich would be disappointed with that return in this series AS PART-TIMERS.

Furthermore, fast bowlers who could be included in his place (Bollinger, Johnson or Siddle) would be regarded as abject failures and unlikely to be picked again anytime soon

Bottom line is that he is NOWHERE near good enough and his selection should be rejected out of hand
Yeah point is his Australian stats are a bit irrelevant and here I'd trust the selectors eye as to who they think would do best in Indian conditions.

social

Yeah point is his Australian stats are a bit irrelevant and here I'd trust the selectors eye as to who they think would do best in Indian conditions.
It's got nothing to do with Indian conditions, it's no more than a "Hail Mary" attempt to find a spinner

Virtually everyone else with a heartbeat has been tried and either failed or retired

In closing, I'd be really interested to find out whether he is the worst performed cricketer EVER to play for Australia

Seriously, I cant think of anyone that's even close (especially when you consider that a comparable record for a batsman would be bugger-all runs at an average of 25 or less)

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
It's got nothing to do with Indian conditions, it's no more than a "Hail Mary" attempt to find a spinner

Virtually everyone else with a heartbeat has been tried and either failed or retired

In closing, I'd be really interested to find out whether he is the worst performed cricketer EVER to play for Australia

Seriously, I cant think of anyone that's even close (especially when you consider that a comparable record for a batsman would be bugger-all runs at an average of 25 or less)
Time to give Jack McNamara a go, IMO.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Except you're not playing Aussie FC teams on those wickets. At best, it would be a wash and he'd maintain his record. At worst, he will be slaughtered.

With that said, I don't know anything about the guy so I don't know how good of a selection this is. But in general, bad FC record would not give you any confidence whatsoever to succeed (unless of course he is just coming off a marvelous season). Warne did better at the Test level than the Aussie FC level, but not in India.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I don't understand why they just don't use Clarke as the full time spinner, with others supporting him. The bastard has India's number, limited capacity or not.

Frankly, I don't know why they play a spinner at all. Even with Warne, the spin wasn't that effective and it's possible that it would have been better to have another fast bowler. Now, the situation seems absolutely clear. Having a crap spin bowler is not better than having a decent fast bowler, no matter where you are, and especially not in India where you're liable to be shredded.

Last edited:

social

I don't understand why they just don't use Clarke as the full time spinner, with others supporting him. The bastard has India's number, limited capacity or not.

Frankly, I don't know why they play a spinner at all. Even with Warne, the spin wasn't that effective and probably would have been better to have another fast bowler. Now, the situation seems absolutely clear. Having a crap spin bowler is not better than having a decent fast bowler, no matter where you are, and especially not in India where you're liable to be shredded.
Bingo!

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I'm hoping they see some cracks and pick McGain and Krezja. That'll be one of the happier days of my life (yes, that says more about my life than the Australian selection, but still :p).

Man, now I'm getting excited for this series. It's starting to creep up on me, though they do have to be careful about not overdoing it.