• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Australia in India***

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Ganguly's medium pace may be a contributing factor to his place in the team.

Selection in India is always influenced by politics. No-one really had the balls to drop Ganguly and take a decisive step towards the future.
In India, very few people are willing to make the hard decision, no matter if it is the right one.

I'd be very surprised Ganguly does anything of note against Australia.....his poor record against them is testimony to his inability to score against disciplined and thoughtful bowling.
To me, they should have gone with one of Badri or Kaif.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Selection in India is always influenced by politics. No-one really had the balls to drop Ganguly and take a decisive step towards the future.
In India, very few people are willing to make the hard decision, no matter if it is the right one.

I'd be very surprised Ganguly does anything of note against Australia.....his poor record against them is testimony to his inability to score against disciplined and thoughtful bowling.
It becomes very tough to work with the bowlers, when you only have two quicks. If there is a bit in the pitch early, or atmospheric conditions provide some movement, which can happen anywhere, then having someone who can bowl some half decent mediums is pretty handy to the bowling line-up. Bringing on Bhajj and Kumble doesn't really work.

Not saying that it has kept him in the reckoning, but I think it's a contributing factor.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Hoping for a 36 year old to fully recover from a frozen shoulder problem in time for the 2nd test and then be fit enough to bowl good amount of overs is expecting a bit too much in my book.
Hoping for Casson, Krezja, Doherty or any of the other "lolz young stars of the future spinners!" to outbowl McGain is probably more unlikely.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
This is a decent selection, very much along expected lines. We didn't have eleven batsmen playing like Srikkanth, as some feared. While it's good to see Dravid, Laxman, Tendulkar and Badrinath in, the return of Ganguly isn't such a good idea. He's vulnerable against the Australians, and they simply have to bring on Binga or Mitch and he's gone. That place could have been used by Badrinath, who's surely good enough to play Test cricket for India, after dominating the A-team series in which he's played with that massive average. Let's just hope he's not in the starting lineup, as the team can gain little or nothing from it. They can, however, gain something from Badrinath or Mishra playing.

The selection of Amit Mishra is a good one. With Kumble not likely to hang around for too long (unless Target 700 is on his mind) and not taking too many, he should make the team in good time. He's more experienced, more accomplished and more productive than Chawla, and can turn the ball a lot, though Chawla is a little ahead in batting. He may not make the team as the team isn't likely to go in with five bowlers, let alone three seamers. Then again, taking 20 Australian wickets should be a priority, given their strengths (and the Indian four-bowler unit's weaknesses on flat pitches) so he too should be in the running. He surely deserves this call-up, and can prove his worth in more wats than one.

Taking forward the gains from ROI's Irani Trophy win, the batting still doesn't look very dominant. They just wriggled themselves to chunky scores, and a lot of runs were scored by the lower order. They won on the back of impressive performances by the bowling combination of Zaheer, Munaf and the spin stalwarts, with some support from RP Singh. Will they take 20 wickets without a fifth bowler? Looks very unlikely, unless the matches get pitches similar to the one in Mumbai in 2004, or that laid in Kanpur this year against the Proteas- in other words, minefield dustbowls.

The pitches should be exactly that. Not seamer-friendly, rather, India's seamers need to adapt to conditions not so helpful, the way their Aussie counterparts often did. The Aussie seamers would revel in such conditions, putting the Indian batsmen in a tight spot. Flat pitches are a definite no-no, as the Aussies would massacre the Indian bowling attack, often a man down, while the Indians, even on flat pitches, don't dominate too well, and are often crushed by large leads. Unpredictable turners are the only solution; there will be the obvious complaints about the pitches not being Test-standard, but this is India, and they will have to prepare pitches that favour the home team.

biased indian

International Coach
Good side...any way hope ganguly does get picked for the 11..

will like to see the fab four playing @ banglaore will see how thing go from there....

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm still of the belief that Krezja is much more likely to take wickets in India than Casson. On performance he shouldn't really be there but, in reality, none of them should. On pitches where finger spin is often a genuine attacking weapon, unlike the ones he bowls on in Australian domestic cricket, I think he could be a threat. Obviously he could just get absolutely belted but I think there's a smaller chance of that happening than had Casson been picked.
Doubt it. This Indian line-up tends to shred opposition finger spinners. A wristie or at least someone who bowls with a decent amount of top-spin would be more likely to do well than a bloke who merely spins the ball big. Gavin Robertson was far better credentialled when he toured in 1998 and on pitches which spun a lot, he didn't disgrace himself but was still taken to. Would be very surprised, provided he gets picked, if Krezja takes a pole for the match and keeps his econ below 4.

pup11

International Coach
Hoping for Casson, Krezja, Doherty or any of the other "lolz young stars of the future spinners!" to outbowl McGain is probably more unlikely.
Well i never said the "lolz young stars of the future spinners!" are likely to set the world on fire, did i..., all i said was McGain is as unproven as Casson or Krezja or Cullen, but he was prefered ahead of them as he seemingly has better control over his bowling as compared to them, a shoulder injury is very hard to shake off for any bowler, but for a spinner its even more tougher, so when the Aussie selectors picked an injured McGain they took a bit of punt and unfortunately that punt doesn't seem to be coming off atm.

pup11

International Coach
Doubt it. This Indian line-up tends to shred opposition finger spinners. A wristie or at least someone who bowls with a decent amount of top-spin would be more likely to do well than a bloke who merely spins the ball big. Gavin Robertson was far better credentialled when he toured in 1998 and on pitches which spun a lot, he didn't disgrace himself but was still taken to. Would be very surprised, provided he gets picked, if Krezja takes a pole for the match and keeps his econ below 4.
I think the whole talk that finger spinner have a better chance to succeed in Indian conditions is just a bit over-hyped, i believe on the current Indian pitches the finger spinner truly comes into play on the 4th and 5th day, and then too his chances of doing well depend on the fact whether he has decent variations like a doosra or a good top-spinner to compliment his stock delivery.

So i can't see Krezja troubling too many Indian batsmen with just big ripping offies.

ret

International Debutant
Indian squad

Anil Kumble (capt), Virender Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir, Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly, VVS Laxman, Mahendra Singh Dhoni (wk), Harbhajan Singh, Zaheer Khan, Ishant Sharma, Munaf Patel, RP Singh, S Badrinath, Amit Mishra
Badrinath and Mishra come in but I won't be surprised if they would be shining the bench with their bums and watching the likes of Ganguly and Kumble bat and bowl miserably respectively

With these four - Dravid, Laxman, Ganguly and Kumble - in the line up, disaster is waiting to happen .... My mood is off even before the series starts

Watch the relatively inexperienced Australian line up make a name for itself on this tour and then everyone will talk about how professional Australian cricket is and how the inexperienced players have managed to fill the shoes of some of the retired players .... And then they will say how India needs to uplift the domestic cricket to produce players like that in Australia and how we are not able to replace the aging fleet while easily forgetting that this was a perfect opportunity to field in new guys and its the mentality of sticking with the past is what did India in and made superstars out of the OZs .... Yeah, India was once called the land of 'golden sparrow', yeah once, some 1000s of years ago .... take pride in that :ph34r:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member

The amount of crap that you pout (when it comes to Ganguly) is beyond anyone's imagination. You top yourself everytime. The guy has been treated like dirt since 2005 and people still claim that he is there because of politics ?

pup11

International Coach
The amount of crap that you pout (when it comes to Ganguly) is beyond anyone's imagination. You top yourself everytime. The guy has been treated like dirt since 2005 and people still claim that he is there because of politics ?
AWTA, poor form on show from Kaiser there, out of Fab Four he has been the most consistent over the last 18 months, so such tasteless attacks on him are uncalled for.

pup11

International Coach
Badrinath and Mishra come in but I won't be surprised if they would be shining the bench with their bums and watching the likes of Ganguly and Kumble bat and bowl miserably respectively

With these four - Dravid, Laxman, Ganguly and Kumble - in the line up, disaster is waiting to happen .... My mood is off even before the series starts

Watch the relatively inexperienced Australian line up make a name for itself on this tour and then everyone will talk about how professional Australian cricket is and how the inexperienced players have managed to fill the shoes of some of the retired players .... And then they will say how India needs to uplift the domestic cricket to produce players like that in Australia and how we are not able to replace the aging fleet while easily forgetting that this was a perfect opportunity to field in new guys and its the mentality of sticking with the past is what did India in and made superstars out of the OZs .... Yeah, India was once called the land of 'golden sparrow', yeah once, some 1000s of years ago .... take pride in that :ph34r:
What exactly has that got to do with this series or Indian cricket for that matter??:blink:

ret

International Debutant
What exactly has that got to do with this series or Indian cricket for that matter??:blink:
i guess, it's easy to understand .... I don't think I have to spoon feed some because of their inability to understand whats implied .... if you are lucky someone sensible will decipher that for you

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think the whole talk that finger spinner have a better chance to succeed in Indian conditions is just a bit over-hyped, i believe on the current Indian pitches the finger spinner truly comes into play on the 4th and 5th day, and then too his chances of doing well depend on the fact whether he has decent variations like a doosra or a good top-spinner to compliment his stock delivery.

So i can't see Krezja troubling too many Indian batsmen with just big ripping offies.
I don't think he'll do better specifically because he's a finger spinner or anything. I just think he's a better package as an international bowler than Casson, particularly on surfaces that will actually help him a bit unlike the ones in Australia.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agreed. It's absolutely ridiculous that we are let pitches like this go unpunished, or knowingly prepare pitches like this. This is one of India's best home advantages. If you want home advantage, you prepare pitches that suit the home style of play, and not whine about the practice facilities provided to the opposition.
The Ahmedabad pitch was designed to be sporting, that is, to help the pacemen for the first couple of days and break up well for the spinners on days four and five. Shame India batted so badly it didn't get that far, so we'll never know if that was true. In any case, the pitch can't be used as an excuse for THAT performance.

pasag

RTDAS
I just dont put much weight into Katich's performances in that series, because they were on very flat wickets. IMO he looked very ordinary in Jamaica when Fidel made the ball talk and he will be made to look very ordinary in India if the new ball moves around there as well. Perhaps Katich at the top might be better than Jaques at the top especially in India, but I think he would be able to make better contributions down the order rather than at the top of the order.
Everyone in the Australia side looks ordinary more often than not when the ball is doing something, come to think of it I'd say the same of most batsman in international cricket. It's not a long term solution for him or the side, I agree, but right now for this must-win tour I think it's the best and only move.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The Ahmedabad pitch was designed to be sporting, that is, to help the pacemen for the first couple of days and break up well for the spinners on days four and five. Shame India batted so badly it didn't get that far, so we'll never know if that was true. In any case, the pitch can't be used as an excuse for THAT performance.
I didn't say the pitch was unsporting, and as long as the pitch is not unsporting, you can't use it as an excuse if you lose. While it is certainly preferable to the pitch in the first test, pitches like that should not be prepared in India. Pitches like the third test should be much more common than they have become of late.